FZ6 2007 Shifting noise!

vazre

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, i have a fz6 2007 with about 6k miles. When i up-shift from first to second shift, i hear a kicking noise but not always. is this a normal thing on these bikes?

galland1

Reaction score
Visit site
I have found if you are properly flogging it, shifting above 8000 rpm, it's smooth as silk. I can get a smooth shift taking it easy about 3 out of 5 times. The other two she's a clunker.:thumbup:

BjornR

Reaction score
Visit site
Have any one experienced clunk when upshifting from second to third gear?

I don't know if it's just me, but I think that the clunk noise from 2 to 3 have appeared the last 100km...

The sound is best described like the classic clunk when shifting from first to second, but it's not that hard clunk.

Its a 2009 Fz6 s2.

thanks

fizzerdave

Reaction score
Visit site
Does any body also get a clunk when shifting into 1st gear? I've had this on other bikes but not as bad. Has anyone tried to adjust the clutch to smooth it out?

MG-242

Reaction score
Visit site
Yep, what everyone else has said!!! I used to think my Ducati transmission was crap, but the FZ6 makes it feel as smooth as butter. You can shift it smoothly, but you can't be casual when you do it. A tad of throttle, a lot of pre-load on the shifter and do it with purpose. Then, the next time you shift it'll go 'clunk' again :) :welcome:

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Oil can make a diff. changed to RedLine and it was better. Not quite as good with Castrol synthetic. Like galland1 said when you are working the bike it shifts great. Just gets hard when you are just loafing around and shifting at say 4,000.

The transmission on my CBR is so smooth but I would have never appreciated it if I hadn't had the FZ6.

BamBam

Reaction score
Visit site
agree with what everyone has said about shifting...I say a majority of bikes experience some sort of clunking from 1st to 2nd, my 08 ninja 250r is notorious for the clunk from 1st to 2nd.

TCLeics

Reaction score
Visit site
Done an oil change on mine, and the difference in gear changing is very noticeable, much much smoother, and virtually no clunks at all now!

lockling

Reaction score
Visit site
My bike make some noises as well. Just got it used. 2007 with 12000km on it. From first to second there is the gear box clunk between 1st and 2nd but then there is another sound.

When I let the clutch out I can sometimes hear click-clank as friction takes hold. Seems to just be between 1 and 2. However, could be after that I can't really hear much at that point. Click-Clank also normal?

Susan

That Romance Author Lady
Reaction score
Visit site
Or try wearing good earplugs. I forgot mine the other day and shifted into 2nd downtown. Boy, the clunk is loud between all those buildings.