Fz6 2004 check engine light 2 cyl. working

Andrewq

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,
I was riding today my FZ6 2004 and my check engine light went on, and bike started working on two cylinders. I stopped turned it off waited few mins started it and it was working normally, then it happened two more times.
I did the diagnostics and following faults numbers occured:
13 15 21 22 30 33

I suspect it's the coil or problem with the wiring.

What do you think?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: to this great forum!
Since there are a number if codes popping at the same time there maybe be a low voltage problem. This can happen if you have a loose connection at the battery, the charging system is bad or an open/short condition in a harness.

You may also have a failing computer. You may have a bad coil assembly that is sending a high voltage spark to the secondary which will possibly damage the computer or shut that coil primary circuit in the ECU off.

Always start with the basics. Also is there a correlation between when the engine is cold or warmed up? Check connections (battery) and check static and engine running voltages. Engine off - should be about 12.6 to 12.8 VDC. Engine running - Should show above 13.5 VDC with the rpm above 2500 RPM if any of these number are way off there may be a charging system fail.

Andrewq

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi thanks great forum btw

I did self diagnostics on the bike the coils and injectors seem to work fine

I also checked the battery voltage it's 12.2 V when off and 12.8 to 13.4 when on

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi thanks great forum btw

I did self diagnostics on the bike the coils and injectors seem to work fine

I also checked the battery voltage it's 12.2 V when off and 12.8 to 13.4 when on

Does it malfunction when the engine is cold? Have you lifted the tank and inspected for a damaged harness. Rodent will sometimes nest in a bike and gnaw wiring. Also disconnect the negative lead on the battery and unplug the ECU (computer) and inspect the plug pins for any possible corrosion on the pins or plug.

Also do you know if any of the codes were past codes that were never cleared? Might there only be one code for a coil failure? Make sure all the codes are cleared and then see if they pop up again when this failure occurs.

Andrewq

Reaction score
Visit site
Works normal so far I feel a little bit of lag when accelerating
Most of those codes are probably old I cleared them and now I this happens again what code will show up.

I am guessing it's the coil. But there is a lot of things that may couse that.

Also I think the voltage is a little bit too low.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Most of those codes are probably old I cleared them and now I this happens again what code will show up.

If the codes have cleared I additionally suggest pulling the spark plugs to examine and make sure they're set to the specified gap. Many time plugs are install out of the box but are not set to the engine manufacturer's specification. Too large a gap and you could get a secondary winding discharge to the primary winding and a break down of the insulating barrier. Check your plugs! :)

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Your static voltage looks a little low but your charging voltage can vary with rpm, and battery state of internal resistance related to level of charge. Your voltage numbers look okay.

Have you gotten a chance to check your plugs?

Andrewq

Reaction score
Visit site
So I was riding today and after few hours it happened again check engine light and code 33 my guess is that's the coil or the ECU after few minutes bike was working normally

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Previous owner installed the spark plugs without adjusting the gap could it be the source of it?
It could be but the gap would have to be pretty big. If the plugs came out of a new pack they might be ok but.... I would check them.

Check the primary connections at the coil. Also check the plug at the ECU.

Last edited:

Andrewq

Reaction score
Visit site
It could be but the gap would have to be pretty big. If the plugs came out of a new pack they might be ok but.... I would check them.

Check the primary connections at the coil. Also check the plug at the ECU.

Maybe it's only the plug it looks like this problem occurs after riding for longer than few hours sometimes briefly for a few secs when cold. I think it helped when I started playing with kill switch

PHP:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Andrewq

Reaction score
Visit site
So it's almost fixed went to a good mechanic and he said that the ECU was faulty after replacing it works like a dream now but still is possible that there's negative feedback to the ECU need to check all the sockets and coils for problems

Last edited: