Fz16 headlight, let the naked madness begin !

Bakchos

Yamahaha
Reaction score
Visit site
Here is the bike, waiting in the garage for me to pick up the package at the post office, after reviewing the instructions from the kit, i wonder if i have to use the stock wire harness and just tuck it under the headlight ?

check it out, more pics tomorow

IMG_3852.jpg

:rockon:

Here is a current picture, crappy picture in the garage, will clean the mess in the morning and take outside pictures.

Mods FZ16 headlight, ebay fender eliminater, protaper se handlebar (drag bar on the way) i dont like them ...
006.jpg

005.jpg

004.jpg

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If you're doing the single headlamp from a fared version bike the OEM harness does not provide the switching needed to turn off the low beam when the high beam is turned on. The single H4 lamp will fail prematurely...

Bakchos

Yamahaha
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks !

It is dev_usc kit, from the FZ16.

i already had the 2 light mod, so i have a relay already.

dev_usc

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Motogiro for the inputs...If I am not mistaken even on the Stock Headlight when you turn the HIGH beam both HIGH Beam and LOW Beam's are ON.

I am running this headlight for around year and half and I never had problem with the Bulb being burned out.

You can use the Stock Wiring Harness with the NAKED KIT. Just use the H4 Connector and Transfer the High Beam wire from the H7 to H4.

You can tuck the wires behind the headlight. The STAY has many hooks that allow you to route the wires. See the attached pics.

qpoy93.jpg

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Motogiro for the inputs...If I am not mistaken even on the Stock Headlight when you turn the HIGH beam both HIGH Beam and LOW Beam's are ON.

I am running this headlight for around year and half and I never had problem with the Bulb being burned out.

You can use the Stock Wiring Harness with the NAKED KIT. Just use the H4 Connector and Transfer the High Beam wire from the H7 to H4.

I believe if you have a stock naked bike OEM the low beam is shut off when the high beam is turned on.

If you have a fared FZ6 the low beam is on the left side lamp and the high beam is on the right side side lamp. Since the High and Low beams are in separate lamps (envelopes) there was no need for Yamaha to turn off the low beam. When you convert to a naked (single headlamp) from a fared version it's good to turn off the low beam when the high beam (as it would be on an OEM single lamp) is active because the Hi and Lo beam filaments are now in the same envelope and it will overheat if you use the high beam for a length of time causing premature failure. The lamp envelope can not efficiently get rid of the extra heat of two filaments burning at the same time. This is one of the reasons manufacturers provide the switching off of the low beam in the single light/dual filament H4 lamp.

If your single lamp kit provides that switching relay you're good to go.

It is not as simple as adding/switching the flag connector. The stock fared version does not provide the switching.

The single envelope was not designed to dissipate the heat of 2 halogen filaments burning at the same.

To give you an idea of how hot the halogens burn. All halogen bulb manufactures ask that you ensure you don't leave fingerprint on the glass and you at least use alcohol to remove fingerprint/oils because the finger print/oils turn to carbon which stop the glass from getting rid of heat and hence premature failure. That's with only one filament running!

On a single light failure you don't have another light to back you up so make sure you know your lamp is operating correctly.

An easy way to ensure this is to measure voltage at the low beam pin on the lamp, which should show 12-13 volts and when you turn on the high beam the low beam pin should show zero volts.

If you don't use your high beam very much you can get away with it but when you need your high beam for any length of time it will fail prematurely and without turning off the low beam it will shorten the life of the lamp.

Last edited:

Bakchos

Yamahaha
Reaction score
Visit site
There you go, crapy picture, its late, im tired, so its not cleaned....
i broke a mirror mount... :rolleyes:

more pictures to come.

004.jpg

dev_usc

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
There you go, crapy picture, its late, im tired, so its not cleaned....
i broke a mirror mount... :rolleyes:

more pictures to come.

The bike looks really nice.. sorry that the mirror mount broke.. send me an email and I will ship one to you at no charge.. I know the mounts are not that great... Yamaha doesn't make them and i have to get it aftermarket.. I am struggling to find a good reliable vendor who can provide decent quality...

Bakchos

Yamahaha
Reaction score
Visit site
The bike looks really nice.. sorry that the mirror mount broke.. send me an email and I will ship one to you at no charge.. I know the mounts are not that great... Yamaha doesn't make them and i have to get it aftermarket.. I am struggling to find a good reliable vendor who can provide decent quality...

Well, thanks alot !!

You did not have to do this, but i appreciate it !!

also if you can find 35mm hex bolt for the bracket, i had to cut the 45mm included hex bolt to 35, no big deal but would be better for future buyer.

again, thanks !

sixsix

Reaction score
Visit site
The low beam turns off when you turn on the high beams, or at least on mine it does. I had the bd43 headlight mod before I went naked so I dunno if that has something to do with it. But I ride with my brights on all the time and haven't had any issues.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The low beam turns off when you turn on the high beams, or at least on mine it does. I had the bd43 headlight mod before I went naked so I dunno if that has something to do with it. But I ride with my brights on all the time and haven't had any issues.

Excellent! :rockon:Yes the bd43 does have to do with the low beam shutting off so you're good to go!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That looks really great! Really like the style of that naked light. :rockon:

Bakchos

Yamahaha
Reaction score
Visit site
That looks really great! Really like the style of that naked light. :rockon:

Thanks, now i need to paint the forks and rearsets, i also have this at the post office (in brut black color)i need to pick up,

i might try black vinyl on tank and side, i used 3m mat black for a front bumper on a car and i think it is worth the 20$ it will cost to try the black before taking it to the paint shop.

ECPP-28-1.jpg

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks, now i need to paint the forks and rearsets, i also have this at the post office (in brut black color)i need to pick up,

i might try black vinyl on tank and side, i used 3m mat black for a front bumper on a car and i think it is worth the 20$ it will cost to try the black before taking it to the paint shop.

The radiator covers are a cool design. I do think those would look good in the matching blue though. I guess I'd have to see them in the other color...

yam ah haaa

Reaction score
Visit site
Where did you get those radiator covers from? those look pretty sweet. I also have this headlight set up on my fz6, looks great but the low beam is no where near good enuff for riding at night. even when the high beam is on i dont think its as bright as the the low beam on the faired fz. anyone else feel the same way?