FZ1 Handlebars or Bar risers?

ront

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all,
I have a 2005 FZ6 that I bought last year. I love the bike but I can get some lower back pain when riding for a while. I have pretty much decided to get the risers at Twisted Throttle,
Handlebar riser barbacks & top clamps (BMW, Ducati, Gas-Gas, Honda, Kawasaki, KTM LC4, MZ, Suzuki, Triumph, Yamaha) - pair, 1" rise & 1" pullback - TwistedThrottle.com

But I am reading here about swapping out the handlebars for the FZ1 ones. I guess now I am wondering which one has been more effective for you all. I am not sure that I want to lean anymore forward than I do now, which I think would happen with the FZ1 bars. Please give me your thoughts.

Thanks, Ron

cmantis

Reaction score
Visit site
I just got the FZ1 bars and I don't think they would help your back out at all. From reading what others have said the FZ6R bars might be better.

Baci

Reaction score
Visit site
Could you do Fz1 bars with a riser? that seems like the biggest win, but not sure if its feasible The FZ1 bars have a better and more natural angle for your wrists plus the risers for your back.......

Reaction score
Visit site
It can be different per person, but for a lot of us with a bad back, a slight forward lean is much better than sitting straight up.
The thing about the forward lean is that you need to keep abs strong (tight) over potholes to lessen the disc jolt.

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
The thing about the forward lean is that you need to keep abs strong (tight) over potholes to lessen the disc jolt.

Over potholes? Yours must not be very bad - riding in Cleveland you have dodge them all - otherwise you'll be in it up to your footpegs with a busted wheel if you're lucky. I've seen children swimming in some potholes after a summer shower.

airoh69

Reaction score
Visit site
Installed the fz1 bar a week also. Already have around 250km on them, at totally love them. For me its more comfortable.

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I had the fz1 bars with and w/o risers. With risers it's pretty comfortable, but wasn't enough for me. I put on the fz6r bars and just can't make up my mind if I want to switch back. I love both bars for different reasons, but I'm gonna stick with the fz6r bars for now. I highly suggest you try the fz6r bars. I didn't think I would like them at first, but after a month or so when I ride I stop and think just how comfotable they are.

Somebuddy

Reaction score
Visit site
I wish I could help more but what I can say is:

When I bought my FZ6 it already had bar risers on it. The seating position is very upright. I haven't tried FZ1 bars so I can't compare and contrast, but the bar risers work great for me. I should add, I am 20 years old and the most I've ridden is only about 80 miles in one day so far.

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
When I bought my '08 it came with 1" risers, after a few months I installed FZ1 bars....never looked back as far as comfort and handling is concered.

Drew Terry

Reaction score
Visit site
I went from stock bars/no risers to:

First 1" risers/1" setback, then added 1.25" risers.
2.25%2522%2520Risers%2520%2526%25201%2522%2520Setback%2520%25231.JPG

Side view, I also tried to reduce the vibration with a strip of hard rubber I got from the hardware store.
2.25%2522%2520Risers%2520%2526%25201%2522%2520Setback%2520%25232.JPG

I then added FZ1 bars.
FZ1%2520Bars%252C%25202.25%2522%2520Risers%2520%2526%25201%2522%2520Setback%2520%25232.JPG

With the FZ1 bars there is plenty of slack to add another inch to the risers, but it is starting to look funny.
FZ1%2520Bars%252C%25202.25%2522%2520Risers%2520%2526%25201%2522%2520Setback%2520%25231.JPG

Now that I have found the winning combination of 17T front sprocket and Vibranator bar ends to ease the vibration I may go back to the stock bars to see how they feel. I love the FZ1 bars but I also like to be as upright as possible.

LeeFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Drew,
I'm planning on doing the same thing like you. The question is, did you have to replace the cables? I've heard that you have do drill some holes on the FZ1 bar, is that true?

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site
The big improvement between the stock FZ6 bar and the FZ1 or FZ6R bar is the sweep angle of the ends. The stock FZ6 bar is too much of an angle and puts your wrists in an awkward position.

If you want a more aggressive riding postion, go with the FZ1 bar - it has no rise, as the pics above show.

If you don't want a more aggressive riding postion, go with the FZ6R bar - it has the same rise as the stock bar, but with the better angle of the FZ1 bar.

If you're thinking of going with the FZ1 bar with risers, this is essentially the same result as the FZ6R bar (but the FZ6R bar is the cheaper option).

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
I wish I could help more but what I can say is:

When I bought my FZ6 it already had bar risers on it. The seating position is very upright. I haven't tried FZ1 bars so I can't compare and contrast, but the bar risers work great for me. I should add, I am 20 years old and the most I've ridden is only about 80 miles in one day so far.

i would definitely reccommend the FZ1 bars for you. you really start to notice the difference at about 50 miles or so, or if you're droning on the interstate. its a cheap mod as well.

also get out and ride some...:BLAA:

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Drew,
I'm planning on doing the same thing like you. The question is, did you have to replace the cables? I've heard that you have do drill some holes on the FZ1 bar, is that true?

the cables are fine. but yes you do have to drill some little holes. there are some nubs in the clamps, you'll see them when you take the bars off. its not hard to do, and you dont need to drill all the way through the bars, just make an indent.

Drew Terry

Reaction score
Visit site
. . . If you're thinking of going with the FZ1 bar with risers, this is essentially the same result as the FZ6R bar (but the FZ6R bar is the cheaper option).

I started with the 1" risers/setbacks, then added the 1.25" risers before finally trying the FZ1 bar. If I had to do it right the first time, I would have tried the FZ6R bar with the 1" riser/setbacks first. I still might do that, the new FZ1 bar was only $50 so if the FZ6R is about the same price, it might be better for me to have a little more rise than even where they are now.

When I first bought the bike, I knew I would have to raise the bars to get what I thought would be comfortable for me, but I didn't know the sweep of the stock bars would be a problem.

I guess it's like the stock seat - how the hell could they design anything that is so X*&%#@! painful is beyond me, but then again I guess they have to keep the aftermarket in business. I used to race enduros on a KTM 200MXC and the first thing to change was always the stock seat, which was fine if you never sat down (and even back then I was too old for that).

Drew Terry

Reaction score
Visit site
HThe question is, did you have to replace the cables? I've heard that you have do drill some holes on the FZ1 bar, is that true?

Yeah, the cables were fine even with the stock bar and both risers, but just barely. With the FZ1 bar there is plenty of room. I didn't drill the holes because at the time I had filled the bar with lead shot so I just snipped off the nubs on the clamps instead. No problem.

Now the lead is gone since I switched to Vibranator bar ends, very happy.

A week of sun on the way, 5 days off from work - TIME TO RIDE.

LeeFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Drew, I'll order 1" riser and 1.25 pull back then. Today I rode 300 miles and my palm and wrist are hurt. You know what I was thinkin while I was riding, I LOVE THE DAMG Harley better!! lol. :rockon:

ront

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks a lot for your input everyone. I am not considering the FZ1 bars anymore, but I am considering the FZ6R bars now. They are not much cheaper that the risers though unless I am not looking at the right place. Still not sure which way to go.

Thanks, Ron

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks a lot for your input everyone. I am not considering the FZ1 bars anymore, but I am considering the FZ6R bars now. They are not much cheaper that the risers though unless I am not looking at the right place. Still not sure which way to go.

Thanks, Ron

I have the fz6r bars on now and really like them. I would suggest checking on the FZ6R forum, thats where I found mine.