FZ-8 Review in new Motorcyclist mag...

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Got the Sept issue of Motorcyclist today, and they had a "First Look" article on the FZ-8. I couldn't read all of it, went to the eye doctor this morning and my pupils are still dilated, but may post more when my eyes return to normal.
Some snippets I could make out:
1. Yamaha builds motorcycles, ATVs, snowmobiles, jetskis, and musical instruments; all items that take a hit during a Recession. Guess they as a company posted a $2.3 Billion loss last year; that's Not Good... :(
2. FZ8 is not available in the US, but may be in the next 12 months.
3. Price? $12,000?!?!?! OMGWTFBBQ?!? I hope that's a misprint.
4. Apparently more room than an FZ-1, which would make it particularly attractive to us tall folk...

more later, after my eyes stop :eek: <== doing this.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
I know the market is cratered..... that means there are good deals to be had on exceptional bikes. Especially if they are left overs.

Starting to think I will be shopping for a Versys when my situation settles down. Moderate power, fully adjustable long travel suspension, 'normal' ergos, 5 gallon gas tank. Brand new '09 models are listed on eBay and Cycle trader for $5700. The windscreen 'floats' above the fairing, so it should be a whole lot less wind noise, compared to the FZ6.

geetarhero

Reaction score
Visit site
One thing id like to just point out:

When factoring in price, there is no contest between the fz8 and fz6. the 6 will be a better buy everytime. But yamaha x'd the 6. Now its the FZ6R, which will appeal to most entry level riders.
After that first year of riding when everyone gets that "need to upgrade" urge (which would be even greater for those on the slower R), the FZ8 is a HUGE improvement in everyway over the FZ6R. While the power numbers probably arent enough of a jump for any of us to warrant the extra money, to a rider from the de-tuned R, it would be very dramatic.

Also, for these entry level riders a jump to a 1000cc might be too intimidating right away, but an 800cc would fit perfectly. Resulting in alot of people potentially buying 2 bikes before landing on an FZ1, instead of 1.

Its a very realistic and practical business move for Yamaha, and we can be proud to say that they had just made the FZ6 a little bit too good for its niche within the company

geetarhero

Reaction score
Visit site
Up here, the FZ1 is $2700 more expensive than the FZ8 (which is $10.5)
We are always more expensive than the states.
In Australia it is selling for around 12... Its all proportional. Perhaps the magazine just misprinted/misinterpretted the price

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Up here, the FZ1 is $2700 more expensive than the FZ8 (which is $10.5)
We are always more expensive than the states.
In Australia it is selling for around 12... Its all proportional. Perhaps the magazine just misprinted/misinterpretted the price

Do you have any dealerships with left over '09 FZ6? What sort of pricing is available on those?

Drinky

the Dutchguy
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I hear everyone talking about price... but the FZ6 costs 8700 euros here, and the FZ8 10200, the FZ1 goes for 13000...
so only 1500 euros extra for the FZ8 instead of the fz6.
For that you get 800 cc's instead of 600, bringing more low range power, a more solid build quality, (I had a good close look and sat on the fazer8 yesterday), USD front forks..

so 1500 euros isn't that big of a difference...

nextfriday

Reaction score
Visit site
i tend to believe when the current owners of the fz6 will look to "upgrade" they will go elsewhere. Not with yamaha. Talk about some real losses in the coming years. There are a lot of fz6's on the road in this world.

tomari

Just a custom user title!
Reaction score
Visit site
look at me! i went to ZX6R, i wouldnt if the new FZ6 had corrected all the problems that i hated (and stated many times) if and when the new FZ6 comes out AND if it has all these corrected i will buy it! until then i enjoy:

almost new bike (1800km) for 5000euros!
no buffeting
clutch like butter
gearbox like butter
no ass aches
smooth lowend map (no throttle jerk)
nice suspension fully adjustable
super brakes
undertail exhaust with the sound i like
170kg bike
102hp on the rear wheel (120 ram aired)

yamaha could correct these on a new fz6 and sell the crap out of them

Last edited:

yoshiki

Reaction score
Visit site
the fz8 is available here already. its about SGD17-19k for the fz8s. not too sure about the naked 1 though.

Ridgeback

Wakin up the neighbours
Reaction score
Visit site
In England,the FZ8 Fazer weighs in at £8,799 ($13,553) and the FZ1 Fazer comes in at £10,395 ($16,013).

I'd love a new V-Max,but at £19,999 ($30,807) it's slightly outside of my price range......:D

I know company's have to make profits,but it's the same as down my local pub.
Things weren't doing well,so the new landlords brilliant idea to get more people in the door, Put the price of the Beer up!

Needless to say,the pub has been demolished and four houses built in it's place,,,,,:rolleyes:

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
i tend to believe when the current owners of the fz6 will look to "upgrade" they will go elsewhere. Not with yamaha. Talk about some real losses in the coming years. There are a lot of fz6's on the road in this world.

I'm inclined to agree with you on that one....I've 'visited' the 2 FZ8's in our local Yamaha dealership about a dozen times since they arrived, and I have really, really tried to warm up to them. Unfortunately, that hasn't happened. It's a nice bike, no question about it...I even started to ignore the hideous muffler. However, if I was to "upgrade" my FZ6, I'll go to something different, perhaps a Street Triple R or similar. The FZ8 (or FZ1 for that matter) just doesn't do it for me.