Future Rider in Training

DeepEmissions

SportBike No0b
Reaction score
Visit site
So my four year old loves to sit on my bike, one day I just happened to have my GoPro ready and decided I'd take my son on his first ever bike ride!

LOL my son is a trip, and don't worry, that look of fear he has QUICKLY goes away...
and pre-apologies for the 'smudge' on the lens.
That's what happens when your friend tests the reliability of the exo-case...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qb7ukNBlox4"]Coles First Motorcycle Ride[/ame]

To see the GoPro Spill, Go Here:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRym4AsCUE8"]Go PROopsie! HD[/ame]

Last edited:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
No offense, but I doubt you'll get a lot of approvals on this mostly ATGATT forum on those videos. No matter how slow the speed.. a 4-year old sitting in front of you? Pretty sure that's illegal (can't reach pegs). Zero gear?

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have to agree with Eric here public road and zero gear to many variables to be safe.
Having said that the video is beautiful and the sensation your son got from the ride is what we all feel the first time on a bike.
In the future please ATGATT.

Neil

Ragnar

Reaction score
Visit site
I grew up in the 80s jumping out of trees with garbage bag parachutes, jumping the biggest ramps I could build (in the road), playing with "borrowed" fireworks from my dad's stash, hitting whitewater rapids with a $20 Kmart inflatable raft rigged with duct tape and no life jacket, ice skated on a creek with sections of open water 10 feet away, racing go-karts, atvs, snowmobiles, and my enduro down the road and through the trails, etc, so I have no issue with what you did. A slow cruise up and down a side street is far less dangerous than the things your son will likely do in his teens/early adulthood.

One of the best videos on YouTube: I Can't Believe We Made It - YouTube

EDIT: The global wussification is depressing.

Last edited:

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It looks like your son really enjoyed himself, but I'm one of those ATGATT guys, especially when it comes to young kids (whatever happens I'm responsible).

Verharen

~ Wild Child ~
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Cole is going to be a moto-hero someday! I have no doubt he will love getting all geared up. Your video inspired me to put this on YouTube from last summer:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axVv6FfHbwM]First Ride - YouTube[/ame]

Thanks for the tech support Motogiro! You'll have to show me what you did so I can make future video links work! If I can stay on Santa's nice list I'm sure a GoPro will be mine by the end of the year. :thumbup:

Water Bear

Fireball
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm ATGATT, sure. Never once ridden without wearing everything I own. Was it a little dangerous to take the kid for a ride? Sure. But riding motorcycles in general is a little dangerous; The flame that burns twice as bright lasts half as long.

That video made me smile. No matter how much I enjoy riding, I'm too old for it to have the same effect on me that it has to have on a 4 year old taking their first ride with their dad.

And at any rate, at least this guy is spending time with his son, which is more than can be said for a lot of dead beats.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Cole is going to be a moto-hero someday! I have no doubt he will love getting all geared up. Your video inspired me to put this on YouTube from last summer:

First Ride - YouTube

Thanks for the tech support Motogiro! You'll have to show me what you did so I can make future video links work! If I can stay on Santa's nice list I'm sure a GoPro will be mine by the end of the year. :thumbup:

Thanks for sharing :thumbup:

A pink motorcycle :eek:

18349d1245674695-aussies-show-us-your-ride-p1110383-resize.jpg

Courtesy of Wolfman ;)

:hijack::spank:

Last edited:

Jblk9695

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.MachiningbyBlake.com
It's all relative to the environment you are in at the time.
I got a ticket back in the early 70's for taking my son to pre-school with him sitting in front of me which at the time I felt was the safest place for him to be and no we weren't wearing the proper gear.
Would I do it today, probably not due to a lot more people on the road doing their best to NOT pay attention to driving. Back in the 70's the roads weren't as crowded as now and drivers had very few distractions.
So giving the kid a ride around the block, maybe a helmet would have been a wise choice, but no harm no foul I say.

Jerry

Karate.Snoopy

Reaction score
Visit site
I used to ride pillion with my dad, been on the tank several times. Even crashed once with him riding it, got my knees scratched up good. But that was late 80's and traffic wasn't nearly as deadly, we didn't have texting teenagers or the behemoth SUV's driven by parents trying to get their kids to not kill each other in the back seat, in today's times I am thinking ATGATT.

Enough hating.
Hell that is one handsome and funny little kid you got there.
Loved how his face lit up as soon as the bike started moving. More power to him. I hope he has a very long and happy riding career.

dpaul007

Reaction score
Visit site
I've taken the girlfriend's kids on the bike, they are 5 and 7, so a little bigger, but they are able to ride legally as they can reach the footpegs. They loved putzing around the block at 10-15 mph, and they had no problem throwing on a helmet. I'm really hoping this pushes them to get rid of those damn training wheels on their bikes!

Looks like he had a blast, now he'll be asking allll the time to go for a ride.

DeepEmissions

SportBike No0b
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys, I guess I just kinda threw this video up and never checked back on it.
I'd agree that ATGATT should be viewed at all times, but this street I was on was a 20MPH Limit, which means hardly any traffic at all.
I grew up scrapin my knees and bumping my head quite a few times, so, at the time, I didn't see the harm. I also had a "plan of action" of ya wanna call it that, to get my son off of the bike, me wrapped around him, as quickly and as safely as possible. My bike will never be worth my son's life. The bike is easily replaceable and My only child is not. Cole has absolutely loved the ride and has since rode a few more times, this time wearing his bicycle helmet (better than nuthin').
He's even asked to go on the road with me, but I'm still unclear what the law states, and I'd most likely NOT let him ride with me on the highway near my road. Highway 70 in South Florida is a main artery to get from Coast to Coast, there are too many semis and retarded people trying to get from point A to point B as fast as possible near my road.
Sadly, a little boy lost his life right next to my road, his baseball cap littered Mural next to my road is a constant reminder to me of how anything can happen.
A dump truck operator, attempting to avoid a collision, didn't see the little boy on his bicycle near the edge of the road and decided to throw the loaded Semi in the ditch. Details aren't needed.
Can't really fault anyone too much, I would ask the question to the parents on why they would allow their son to ride his bicycle down the road. Maybe they didn't even know.

Guys I share this story to show that I am aware of the danger I put my son in. But, I consider it more dangerous to make our daily commute to and from his school (90% of the drive is on Highway 70).
I would never knowingly subject my son to a dangerous situation, like taking him on the highway unprotected on my motorcycle.
Anything can happen at anytime, it is best to be fully protected though, just in case.
Maybe I should invest in a 1-piece leather suit for him? LOL that'd be pretty awesome looking, until he grew out of it anyway.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys, I guess I just kinda threw this video up and never checked back on it.
I'd agree that ATGATT should be viewed at all times, but this street I was on was a 20MPH Limit, which means hardly any traffic at all.
I grew up scrapin my knees and bumping my head quite a few times, so, at the time, I didn't see the harm. I also had a "plan of action" of ya wanna call it that, to get my son off of the bike, me wrapped around him, as quickly and as safely as possible. My bike will never be worth my son's life. The bike is easily replaceable and My only child is not. Cole has absolutely loved the ride and has since rode a few more times, this time wearing his bicycle helmet (better than nuthin').
He's even asked to go on the road with me, but I'm still unclear what the law states, and I'd most likely NOT let him ride with me on the highway near my road. Highway 70 in South Florida is a main artery to get from Coast to Coast, there are too many semis and retarded people trying to get from point A to point B as fast as possible near my road.
Sadly, a little boy lost his life right next to my road, his baseball cap littered Mural next to my road is a constant reminder to me of how anything can happen.
A dump truck operator, attempting to avoid a collision, didn't see the little boy on his bicycle near the edge of the road and decided to throw the loaded Semi in the ditch. Details aren't needed.
Can't really fault anyone too much, I would ask the question to the parents on why they would allow their son to ride his bicycle down the road. Maybe they didn't even know.

Guys I share this story to show that I am aware of the danger I put my son in. But, I consider it more dangerous to make our daily commute to and from his school (90% of the drive is on Highway 70).
I would never knowingly subject my son to a dangerous situation, like taking him on the highway unprotected on my motorcycle.
Anything can happen at anytime, it is best to be fully protected though, just in case.
Maybe I should invest in a 1-piece leather suit for him? LOL that'd be pretty awesome looking, until he grew out of it anyway.

Good man (and good father!).

Here are the motorcycle laws for FL: State-by-state motorcycle laws

In short:
- foot pegs and passenger seat are required when carrying a passenger, but it does not say anywhere that passenger must be able to reach foot pegs. If it were my boy, I would hold off taking him for a real ride until he could reach pegs (so he could be secure on the bike).
- DOT helmets are requires for anyone under 21.

When the time comes, look into MX armor. Much better than nothing and it's typically adjustable enough to get several years out of it (as Cole grows).

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Not quite the same, but it reminded me of the vid I posted last year of my step son on his minibike (first ride).

Oh, now I remember....MX gear! It was really hard to find gear for kids. Nate is small for his age so I had to get him MX pants and knee guards from psycho gheer :)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DAtxUSwoCU&feature=player_detailpage"]video 2012 12 25 16 08 52 - YouTube[/ame]