Funny grinding/clicking under hard acceleration

zixaq

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
As title, there is often a few clicky sounds under hard acceleration from a stop light. I didn't find out about it until I changed my chain recently, as there was other noise from the worn chain (apparently) that was masking it.

I did not change the sprockets, because they actually still look good (symmetrical teeth, ends of teeth still square). OEM sprockets and new chain on a bike with 33,000 miles. Valves were adjusted at 26k miles.

Any thoughts? Could this be a cam chain thing?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Did you check the tightness of the front sprocket?

If the retainer nut is even there? They have come loose before...

A worn front sprocket, indents in the OEM "plastic" rim, will also be noisier.

It goes without saying, the CORRECT adjustment of the chain is critical (2" total up and down on the CC)

BTW, I had a slight clicking (22,000 miles) coming from the rear wheel about 2 months ago.
The noise seemed to be coming from the rear wheel bearings so I replaced all of them (didn't find anything unusual).. STILL CLICKED. :(

Like you, my rear sprocket was original and looked great. I ended up replacing with another OEM (and you really could NOT see any difference).
Clicking completely GONE... The noise was only noticable with the engine off and rolling slow.

Also, with the new rear sprocket, the chain, as it rotates to the rear sprocket, the bottom run, is NOW DEAD SMOOTH. No slight "wave" at all....

Last edited: