Fuel Type

W

wrightme43

Regular is reccomended.

Welcome to the site.
The tool bar above has a box labled search.
type in fuel, regular, premium and you will find the subject beaten to death. LOL :thumbup:

tolgatt

Goodfella
Reaction score
Visit site
the sticker that i removed from the swingarm had a line that said 91 octane minimum....or something like that....i thought regular was recommended too but does anyone still have that sticker? that tells the valve clearence specifics,spark plug type,oil type and this fuel type line ...
i use the 94 octane from sunoco all the time,,i know it is useless,dont ask me why,,,old habit i guess

Jason Tikusis

Reaction score
Visit site
The FZ6 is designed to run on regular fuel. You always want to run the lowest octane possible to gain the most power. Running on high octane fuel wil be harder to ignite. Premium does not mean more power. It means harder to ignite!

Jason Tikusis

Reaction score
Visit site
Also, remember that, sometimes the Japaneese dont recomend R+M/2 octane values. They just suggest research octane values. So just use regular for the fz.

flyer34

Reaction score
Visit site
The sticker on the swing arm of my '08 FZ6 says Fuel: All Gasoline 91 RON MIN. RON is an octane measuring standard used outside of the US. In the US, we use the CLC rating. According to the internet, 91 RON == 87 CLC. So you can interpret the sticker as saying 87 CLC MIN.

Octane is a combustion inhibitor that is there to prevent the fuel/air mixture from igniting prematurely as it is compressed in the cylinder before the spark plug fires. Your spark plugs will have no problem lighting off the mixture, be it 87 or 94 octane.

So yeah, the engine should run great on regular gas, and it should run the same on premium. Personally, I run premium because compression ratios in the neighborhood of what the FZ6's engine has have traditionally required higher octane fuel. Obviously, Yamaha has engineered it to run on 87, but I still pump it because it just makes sense to me. Maybe I'll learn something new down the road to change my mind, who knows...

urbanj

Reaction score
Visit site
id think they have very conservative timing maps.

i think its the whole price point factor. if they said it had to run premium and advanced the timing they'd get a little more power. but for the cost of having to run premium and maybe a knock sensor? (does the r6 use a knock sensor?) its not worth it.