front suspension question

bob808

Reaction score
Visit site
I just reseted my fz6 (removed battery :) ) because the weather changed the last 2 weeks and instead of 280-280 km per tank now I get 250 if that... So thought about reseting the whole computer inside (never did it before and had the TPS problem for 2000 km). Thinking of adapting to new density of the oxygen being colder and all that. Now I get 280 again :) And above this feels a bit more agressive. When I punch it real hard now my back tire has a tendency to roll for a fraction of a second before getting full grip and ripping my soul from my body :rockon: But my fork seems almost drunk :( It wobbles all the place and I can't rely on it for high speed cornering or sprinting on not so perfect terrain. I am looking for a Racetech spring solution with a thicker oil but really was wondering if I will loose the comfort of the present fork. It is very forgiving the way it is now, almost put the bike down at a hard break with the wheel not being aligned with the rest of the bike. I felt it was slipping under and when I released the brake it came back up again. (we're talking cm's here but felt more for sure). In my country the quality of the streets is ... inexistent almost. So, if I go for Racetech springs with thicker oil will my back curse me everyday or shall I go for thicker oil only?

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
I have a set of Sonic Springs .95kg with 5wt oil. This made a big difference in handling very stable through conners and much more comfortable on bad roads. The first time I went out with this setup I could not believe how smooth it was over small and large bumps. I now have to do something with the rear suspension.

Also the suspension can help greatly but check that your tires are in good condition and you have the correct amount of air pressure.

bob808

Reaction score
Visit site
Presure is ok but tires are stock at 13k km :), and almost to wear limit sign. New tires are next on shopping list at first paycheck.

jbwaterman84

Born to ride
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I had the same weird front end feeling too before but on r6 forks. I opened up the steering head and regreased the bearings and the feeling went away. They were pretty dry in there but not pitted

Simona

Reaction score
Visit site
Before you start making modifications to your forks, it might be worth while checking your steering head bearing. The description you gave sounds very similar to a problem I had on my old Fireblade. Cheers!

bob808

Reaction score
Visit site
It feels as if trying to exagerate a bit the direction it is going. And at slow speeds let's say while going between cars at a stop it feels as if it wants to go left or right, I don't feel it very reliable in holding a straight line, but only on slow speeds and maybe decelerating, but not positive on the last one. I'll check the status of the bearings anyway. Thank you for info.

foxbass

I prefer being on top
Reaction score
Visit site
It is also beginning to sound like you may have a head bearing problem. You will need to check with the front wheel up off the ground and very slowly turn the forks left and right. At centre, if you feel it is not smooth like there is a notchy feel, you probably have a damaged bearing track, so new bearing time. Otherwise a re-grease may solve your problem.
On the subject of tyres, when mine were due for a change the bike handled very strangely for a couple of weeks which decided me. New rubber solved all my problems and that included a front wheel that felt like it wanted to go somewhere else all the time!