Front signals not working..

dturpen

Gamer/Bike Enthusiast
Reaction score
Visit site
I bought 2 sets of new signals a while back whenever I installed the fender eliminator because the stock signals are so huge. Had them on before I did my Buell conversion and everything was working fine.

Put the front signals on after doing the conversion and I accidentally stripped all of the shielding off one of the wires on one side, so I bought new front signals. Installed the new signals and wired them up the same way, and nothing happens.

The rear turn signals work just fine, and I have been just riding with the rear signals until the front ones came in. I checked all the fuses under the right rear side pod, and they were all good.

I guess I need to check the fuse(s) under the fuel tank. Is it possible that the flasher relay went out? Wouldn't that affect the rear turn signals, too?

I'm so confused. :confused:

How could I check the relay? I don't really want to have to check under the fuel tank for one fuse, but I guess I will if I have to. What should I do?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Are they LEDs or regular bulbs?

Can you check with a test light and see if you have current coming out of the factory directional harness? If its got power, you may want to check and see if the new directionals either have a bad bulb or are malfunctioning.

Connecting directly to a 12 volt battery would work for a regular bulb (not sure about the LED's).

Also, if the rear directionals ARE blinking, it shouldn't be the relay. It is unusal for just the rears to blink with the fronts being out...

dturpen

Gamer/Bike Enthusiast
Reaction score
Visit site
They are regular bulbs, so I could test them by connecting directly to the battery. I might have a test light somewhere that I could use, but I'm thinking I may need to invest in a voltmeter/multimeter. I don't know why I don't have one because I used to install car audio for a living, and used one every day.

I really don't think my new signals are the problem because my old ones weren't working before I threw them away, and at least one of them should've worked (the one I didn't ruin by taking off all the shielding.)

I did find it strange that the rears are working just fine. I didn't know for sure whether the relay was the problem, but I figured if the rears are working that the relay was good. Guess I'll just have to get out there with a test light or multimeter and go to town.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
They are regular bulbs, so I could test them by connecting directly to the battery. I might have a test light somewhere that I could use, but I'm thinking I may need to invest in a voltmeter/multimeter. I don't know why I don't have one because I used to install car audio for a living, and used one every day.

I really don't think my new signals are the problem because my old ones weren't working before I threw them away, and at least one of them should've worked (the one I didn't ruin by taking off all the shielding.)

I did find it strange that the rears are working just fine. I didn't know for sure whether the relay was the problem, but I figured if the rears are working that the relay was good. Guess I'll just have to get out there with a test light or multimeter and go to town.

If the back signals are working correctly, you have to have a connector that is not seated somewhere. Do you have running lights built into the signals on the front? Do they work?

dturpen

Gamer/Bike Enthusiast
Reaction score
Visit site
If the back signals are working correctly, you have to have a connector that is not seated somewhere. Do you have running lights built into the signals on the front? Do they work?

These signals don't function as running lights, so I just left that one wire (the blue one, I think, I'm at work right now, so no way to check) disconnected.

I agree with you, it's gotta just be something disconnected. I'll double check the main headlight harness (the wiring harness that has both headlight connectors, both signal connectors, and the speedo connector) connectors where it plugs into the bike when I get home tonight.

dturpen

Gamer/Bike Enthusiast
Reaction score
Visit site
I found my test light in my tool box and took it out to the bike. One side had power going to the signal, so I replaced the bulb and fixed that side. The other side didn't have power going to the signal, so I rewired it, and it fixed the other side. YAY!!

I thought it would be one big problem, and it turned out to be 2 unrelated problems. Just glad I got it worked out.