Front fork leans/tilts on one side

padabadumas.1

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a headache, because can`t find any solution about my front fork. When I look at my bike`s front, the front fork looks like it tilts/leans (don't know how to describe correctly) on one side. I have already installed new fork tubes, bottom triple clamp, also have done a few different allignments, I could find. I have even done the frame geometry test and the result o the test was "correct". Moreover, I measured the wheels positions by the string method and couldn't find any misallignments-both wheels go straight in one line. Finally, thought, that problem is in my front fairings, so I re-assembled all plastics and checked the frame which holds all plastics and speedometer, but the frame is not bent. Perhaps anyone have solved the same problem or could give any suggestions, becaus I'm disappointed and don't know issue

Attachments

• Red straight line to the ground.jpg
    Red straight line to the ground.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 55
  • 2016-02-16 15.41.59.jpg
    2016-02-16 15.41.59.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 51

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Has the bike been dropped on either side, even while stopped?

The fairing stay WILL bend pretty easily and IS a PIA to try and straighten.

If you put the bike on flat, EVEN, GROUND, then the center stand.

Sit on the bike and simply look forward. If its bent, you should be able see as little as 1/2" off.

The upper plastic fairing, towards the very outside will show/look one side higher than the other, just by eye sight.
Maybe pushed in some depending on the tip over.

From your pic's, that would be the most likely thing.

BTW, being you have the frame "report card", was that as a result of a crash?

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree with Scott. I learned long ago the you should always 'test the test equipment', meaning that if you are using the fairing as a measuring gauge then make sure IT is level. If there was some mis-alignment, then it would most certainly be felt when riding. Keep us posted on what you find.

padabadumas.1

Reaction score
Visit site
When I bought the bike, the frame slider on the right side was broken. During the test drive I couldn't recognize any problems with the bike, everything looked fine. After a while during the bike's periodic maintance, it turned out unexpectidly, that my front fork tubes are bent, so I changed the parts I mentioned above. But everything became much worse than it was before repairement - forks looked leaned/tilted. Moreover, my handlebar and upper clamp was slightly turned on one side when I rode in a straight line. I did some allignments and managed to straighten the handlebars. But the first problem still made me crazy. So I did the frame geometry test.
What's about fairings, when I sit on a bike, all plastics look evenly. The gaps which are between the plastic and fuel tank look accurately the same and in the same level on both sides. When I re-assembled all fairings and took a look at the fairings stay, couldn't detect any paint came off the stay or bend wrinkles on it...

But I will definitely try to check the fairings stem once again. I think I need find a few used stems and then compare them. Thanks for suggestions, let you know about my further tests

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If it went down hard enough to break a TOG and bend the forks, I'd put money the fairing stay is tweaked (if it wasn't replaced already)

BTW, if you have to put pressure, say on a fork tube to one side while tightening it up, somethings still bent there. You should be able to slide the forks up W/O issue, tighten, etc, without "adjusting" forks, fork tubes, etc.

IE, you may have a tweaked triple tree, upper and/or lower...

Last edited:

major tom

Reaction score
Visit site
With the front wheel off the ground does the steering bind? Does the wheel and handle bars travel to the stops the same? Remove the wheel and fender. Loosen the pinch bolts on the top and bottom triple clamps just enough to still rotate the fork tubes, They should rotate with out binding. Insert axle and rotate everything, tubes and axle. If it all checks out, the frame is bent. I can't think what else it could be. Keep us posted.

Last edited: