Front brake pads touching rotor with no brake engaged?

blitzcraig

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Pretty sure the front brake pads are touching the rotor when the front brake is NOT engaged. Title says it all! :rolleyes: I have been using my friends garage lately (acoustics are awesome in there) and I thought I had heard a hissing sound at times when the engine is off and I'm moving the bike around. Just took a closer look and listen and there is definitely a distinctive SSSSHHHHHHHHHHH coming from the front wheel. Not a grinding or a squeaking or anything crazy like that, but I have to ask if that's normal. I have had the bike a year and a half and I think I have always noticed something like that, but now that I am using the garage I can really hear it. I would imagine it's the pads rubbing the rotor? Are they on too tight, and if so, can I loosen them? Could it be anything else?

Thanks as usual :cheer:

Craig

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
Mine does the exact same thing, and it's been that way since I purchased it new in August, 2008. My brakes function normally, and there's still plenty of pad material left.

blitzcraig

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Same here. Pads look brand new, brakes function fine, rotors look fine. I dunno, just wanted to reach out about it and make sure it's not the :squid: in me being ignorant :spank:.

urbanj

Reaction score
Visit site
To be more specific for your leaning experience, there is a big square cut seal in the bores. When you apply the brakes the seal flexes in the direction of the pistons travel. Once you release the brakes the seal flexes back and pulls back on the piston ever so slightly and the pads just glide over the rotors face.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
A little bit of drag is normal... With the front wheel lifted off the ground (center stand and sizzor jack under header) you should be able to spin the wheel easily. If its dragging hard or stops spinning immediatly its probably time for a brake caliber cleaning/new seals.

You can also check by going for a good ride, stop with the rear brake only, then feel the front rotors. If their getting hot with no brakes applied, again, time for a cleaning/flush/rebuild...

My 04 FJR needed new ft seals last year as the front brakes were dragging. My 07 fz6 with 5k miles, were just starting to drag. I R&R'ed the ft pistons, cleaned out the calibers (looked clean), used brake grease for re-assmbly, all good. I get approx 3/4 a rotation now after spinning by hand and releasing... Prior to cleaning, it stopped almost immediatly.... The FJR did stop immediatly ,prior to cleaning/rebuilding.. Both bikes are garaged...

Scott

Daryldaddy

Elite Member
Reaction score
central BC / Canada...on beautifull Quesnel lake
Visit site
With your scooter on the center stand, load the rear down and give that front wheel a spin with your hand... it should spin freely, if it can't make a full revolution then your pads could be a little to tight on the guide rails , caliper seals give very little problems unless leaking... if you suspect dragging , go for a ride without useing your front brakes after a few KMS. stop and feel both rotors if one is noticeably warmer then the other , you got pad binding on that side, if both rotors are fairly warm then you probably got a problem within your primary slave ( on the handle bars ) sometimes a good bleeding ( flush) can do wonders... My 2 cents worth , Good luck... Daryl

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just an FYI, from the Yamaha manual, page 4-22:

CHECKING THE FRONT BRAKE CALIPERS
Recommended brake component replacement
schedule
Brake pads If necessary
Piston seals Every two years
Brake hoses Every four years

I got 4 years out of my caliber seals on my FJR (kept the lines), the FZ isn't ywo years old yet.. Seems like a short time for replacement but if their dragging more than normal, its cheaper than new seals AND new rotors. No problems since cleaning/rebuilding the FJR calibers/ cleaning the FZ6 calibers (original seals)...
I have not had had the master cylinders apart however everythings been flushed with new fluid... The FZ6 is fixing to get new SS lines all around.
Scott

Last edited:

macem29

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
this is very good information, I agree 100%

To be more specific for your leaning experience, there is a big square cut seal in the bores. When you apply the brakes the seal flexes in the direction of the pistons travel. Once you release the brakes the seal flexes back and pulls back on the piston ever so slightly and the pads just glide over the rotors face.