Front Brake = No Brake Light

Cmayer31

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Visit site
All right, I did a quick search and found some useful thread, but none apply to my current situation.

If I pull my front brake I hear the switch click, but no brake light.

So I've done the following:
Check rear brake - Works and brake light comes on.
Check all other lights - Everything works as it should.
Check all fuses - Perfect.
Check wires going to front brake light - Connected securely, even unplugged, replugged, wiggled, checked for chaffing. No visible problem there.
Checked harness as far as I could trace it - No visible chaffing or problem.

So anyone have any suggestions as to why my front brake lever will not activate the brake light?

I guess I'll ride the dual sport or use my back brake whenever the front brake is in use on the FZ.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I actually had the samething a while back. Exact same scenario. But I had just gotten my wires crossed when I unplugged them a while back.

Double check that they are on correctly, take them off and attach them the other way just for safe measures.

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Pull the connectors off of the front brake switch and short them together with a paperclip or something. That will rule out if it is the switch of the wiring.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
All right, I did a quick search and found some useful thread, but none apply to my current situation.

If I pull my front brake I hear the switch click, but no brake light.

So I've done the following:
Check rear brake - Works and brake light comes on.
Check all other lights - Everything works as it should.
Check all fuses - Perfect.
Check wires going to front brake light - Connected securely, even unplugged, replugged, wiggled, checked for chaffing. No visible problem there.
Checked harness as far as I could trace it - No visible chaffing or problem.

So anyone have any suggestions as to why my front brake lever will not activate the brake light?

I guess I'll ride the dual sport or use my back brake whenever the front brake is in use on the FZ.

How far are you from me? I'm in Mira Mesa and used to do auto electric...Hahaha What are you doing tomorrow?:D

Cmayer31

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Visit site
Pull the connectors off of the front brake switch and short them together with a paperclip or something. That will rule out if it is the switch of the wiring.

Awesome idea! Shorted the two connectors and instant brake light. I pulled the switch and tried jumping the terminals with each connected or separate and it's pretty clear the switch is the problem. It's probably easier to buy a new one than deal with getting it fixed under warranty.

Kenny and Cliff thanks for the suggestions and offer!

I need to take the XRR out for a spin anyhow. Plus I think one of the parts guys at NCY rides an XR as well. :thumbup: