Front brake caliper broken. Advice on replacment compatibility

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Greg,
That could certainly be an explanation. I use copper grease on the pin. Its highly likely that some got on the threads.

I was sending a PM to Ben in the US re: his calipers.
Tapatalk won't allow me to copy the message I'm responding to when making a reply.

Cheers
Nelly:thumbup:

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That is a an assumption with no evidence.. .. .. It's unlikely and bolts that don't start don't split things. If you tore the front end apart - there are no other bolts of larger size that come remotely close to starting. Thus highly unlikely. Just sayin..

Being I'm on the other side of the planet and just looking a picture, I stated it APPEARS, something BIG, split the the assembly or he struck something.

And, yes, there's always evidence, physical evidence. The hole was forced open. Parts generally just don't crack for no reason and then open wider.. Could it have been overtightened WITHOUT stripping the threads and then the casting broke loose(poor metulurgy?), sure.

This part, I've never of, on this forum or elsewhere does NOT have a history of cracking.

I try not to assume anything, its an edjucated guess as I wasn't there when it failed, don't know if the mechanic that worked on it last grabbed a wrong bolt with an impact gun, when checking the brakes and forced it in, (it has happened before and of course, "that was like,that" crap).

Its a moot point, Neil didn't even ask how it happened..:spank:

bobh

Bob
Reaction score
Visit site
The MT-03 calipers are indeed the same, in fact it uses the earlier FZ6 front forks.

MT-03 stuff on eBay generally goes for much lower bids because they're not so popular.

The R6 etc. (and later FZ6) ones (often referred to as "blue spot", though in fact they can be several different colours) are NOT, and unfortunately can't be retro-fitted because the mounting hole centres are different.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Being I'm on the other side of the planet and just looking a picture, I stated it APPEARS, something BIG, split the the assembly or he struck something.

And, yes, there's always evidence, physical evidence. The hole was forced open. Parts generally just don't crack for no reason and then open wider.. Could it have been overtightened WITHOUT stripping the threads and then the casting broke loose(poor metulurgy?), sure.

This part, I've never of, on this forum or elsewhere does NOT have a history of cracking.

I try not to assume anything, its an edjucated guess as I wasn't there when it failed, don't know if the mechanic that worked on it last grabbed a wrong bolt with an impact gun, when checking the brakes and forced it in, (it has happened before and of course, "that was like,that" crap).

Its a moot point, Neil didn't even ask how it happened..:spank:
To be honest Scott I wasn't going to approach the garage about the damage because I have no proof it was caused by them. It was most likely caused by me over tightening it with the torque wrench.
I am just happy that I discovered it sooner rather than latter.

Nelly