Freeway torture

Anesi

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Guys, need a little bit of advice here.

Last night my girlfriend and I was visiting some relatives, riding my wonderfull black naked FZ6. Now, I have been riding freeway a couple of times before, but only for 15-20 minutes at a time (out the city and into the twists). However our relatives live about 80 km away (I know this does not sound like much to some of you riding Ironmen here ;)) so this was a good 35-40 minutes of freeway riding.

I don't know how you guys handle the wind, but it was just killing me :( My jacket felt like a parachute pulling me back, even though I was leaning in over the tank quite a bit to minimize the wind resistance. My girlfriend said she was sitting nice and cozy behind me, so that was good, but my left shoulder and neck was very worn and my hands were sore from grabbing tight.

I've only had the bike for about 3 weeks, so this might be a matter of technique? I'm not sure. I've seen some of those wind-screens to mount on top of the headlight. Not sure I like the looks, but if one could deflect the wind some I'd sure consider it.

So any tips on riding technique or wind screens would be greatly appreciated because I just love my naked bike, and I wanna be able to enjoy her on the freeway (without considering dressing her up :spank:) as well as the twists (where she is just plain awesome :D)

Thanks in advance

/Anesi

Gcontroller

Reaction score
Visit site
"My jacket felt like a parachute pulling me back, even though I was leaning in over the tank quite a bit to minimize the wind resistance"

That's one problem there. Your gear shouldn't act as a sail adding all kinds of wind resistance. Get a tighter fitting jacket. That will help a lot.

Anesi

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, I thought about it. I bought my suit used, as this is my first season, and I did'nt wanna shell out a whole bunch before I knew I was gonna stick to it. I really like the look of the leather jackets, so might go a buy me one and a new pair of pants to match - and that fits me a little better. My current is about a number too big I think.

Thanks for the input :)

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Try sitting a bit farther back on the seat, on the freeway. Lean up against the *step* in the seat. That allows you to relax your grip a little and it also makes it easier to tuck down.
Leave plenty of room between the cars / trucks in front of you. They create turbulence and if you ride in their slip stream, it'll toss you around a lot more.

pt1979

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, you just need to get used it. Sounds stupid, but it's true. ;)
Your arms, neck, chest, or let's say your whole body :D really need to get used to it.

What also helped (me) - Superbike handle-bar. And leaning back a little bit. Much more comfort!

Anesi

Reaction score
Visit site
I did a little test during my after-work-tour, and scootched way back in the seat. Almost till the point of sitting on top of the "bump", and it was alot better. Doing about 140 km/h I was feeling alot less strain on my hands and shoulders, even though there was some very rough wind aswell as speed wind.

About the superbike handle bar... havent seen them, but since I am in the market for a new handlebar (since my little trip into a ditch) I'll definitely check them out.

Thanks for the advice guys :thumbup: Guess I'll just need some more practice, toughen up a bit and get an better fitting suit :)

Last edited:

robaho

Reaction score
Visit site
Your arms, neck, chest, or let's say your whole body :D really need to get used to it.

What also helped (me) - Superbike handle-bar. And leaning back a little bit. Much more comfort!

My thoughts exactly. My advice is to take many short jaunts on the freeway - pretty soon you will be accustomed to the wind and you won't even think about it anymore. A tighter fitting jacket will take care of the "parachute" feeling that you experienced.

Anesi

Reaction score
Visit site
I hope you are right :) Today felt better for sure, so hope it just a matter of time. Can't help to wonder how it would be with a the fairings on though. Hoping to get at shot at my buddys 03 Fireblade one of these days, to feel the difference on the freeway - way different bike, I know. I'll be carefull and take it easy ;)

Thanks for the input.

ELIZABETH

Goofball Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a half faired FZ6, but I do remember first learning the highway, and how much backward force my head took when I would turn it to check the lane next to me. It took some getting used to, and now I don't even notice it. I would purposefully turn my head just to feel the difference in wind. Eventually I got to where my head doesn't get buffeted anymore, from practice.
I hope you get more comfortable soon. :thumbup:

mxgolf

Motoup
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe try the FZ1 bars. The stock FZ6 bars have a really bad hand position.
I changed to them and love em.

Oh by the way welcome to the greatest forum out there.

Anesi

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a half faired FZ6, but I do remember first learning the highway
So I guess the wind resistance is still rather significant even behind the fairing? I'm glad to hear you got used to it :) Then here should be hope on the horizon. Tanks :thumbup:

Maybe try the FZ1 bars. The stock FZ6 bars have a really bad hand position.
I changed to them and love em.

Oh by the way welcome to the greatest forum out there.

Never considered the FZ1 bars. Was looking at the Rizoma black bars. They look super cool. But will take a look at the FZ1's aswell. Do they require any special fitting, or can I just "slap" them right on there?

Edit: Oh, and thanks for the welcome :)

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
I went riding last night and the wind was vicious here as well! Far, far worse with a smoker (18 wheeler) on your right side and directly in front of you!

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
But will take a look at the FZ1's aswell. Do they require any special fitting, or can I just "slap" them right on there?
Easy slap-on... provided you either drill the bar or grind the knob off controls.

ADVdrming

Superstar
Reaction score
Visit site
I fully agree with the previous post regarding the fit of the jacket. With leather gear you want it to be a good, snug fit on your body. It will help not only with the "sail' effect, but more important with the protective qualities of the jacket. If you want it to do its job right with abrasion/impact, the leather has to be snug to your body (IMHO). Another thing to consider with leathers is that they will lose their protective qualities with time, especially if you factor in the weather inclement, and falls. Treating the leather periodically will help slow down this effect, but they will depreciate over time. Same applies to helmets.

Hope this helps :thumbup:

Anesi

Reaction score
Visit site
Erci: Guess I'll have to read some guides, but I'm sure I can figure it out at some point (heard of a great forum with lots of howtos and stuff ;)). Thanks for the input. Right now I'm leaning towards the Superbike handlebars. They look very cool and by the sounds of it also very comfy :)

Treating the leather periodically will help slow down this effect, but they will depreciate over time.
Really? Didn't even realize that. Good point, thanks :) I'll be sure to pick a suit that fits perfectly.

pt1979

Reaction score
Visit site
Right now I'm leaning towards the Superbike handlebars. They look very cool and by the sounds of it also very comfy :)

It's like day and night on the FZ6. :thumbup:

I've got an ABM-superbike handlebar installed. Very nice and superb black finish, guess it's even a bit cheaper than Rizoma.

If you pick ABM, look out for type number "0229". With this one you can also keep the original cables and don't need to change the cables to longer ones. ;)
ABM - International outlets

Have2BeFree

It's My Bike!
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a laminar lip attached to my windscreen which helps to direct the flow of the wind. It has helped immensely at highway speeds. Also, as has been suggested, tucking down onto the tank helps as well if there is a lot of buffeting. I agree that you will get used to it over time.

rhettnorman

so fast so clean
Reaction score
Visit site

Are the superbike bars a conversion kit? I've been looking for a way to convert to clip-ons but no luck. Do you have a link to where you got yours or any tips for finding some?

rdrManny

Reaction score
Visit site
Does your jacket has those zipper for air flow?( my jacket has) Close them. Tighten all those harnesses on jacket if any.. like velcro on waist, buckle on forearm. etc

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You do have to get used to getting battered by the wind. My OEM Yamaha screen helps - my bike's naked too.

As for gear, if it doesn't fit properly, you will balloon up. Nothing more uncomfortable on a bike. 2nd hand jacket isn't the problem but the fit sounds like it is.

Might be time to spend some money on some new gear :thumbup: