Freeway phobia

The Hill Boys

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok all of you armchair psychologists, need a little help here. I have issues riding on the freeway. I am preparing to start a new job that is 30 miles from my house. I would love to ride the bike and save money on gas, etc. Problem is, I get out in the freeway here in town (greater Phoenix area 3-6 lane), and just go into some sort of panic mode. I'm sure it's lack of seat time in said environment, but it's to the point that I am starting to question myself and my overall riding abilities.

I don't have a lot of street experience. Collectively (going back 30 years), I probably have less that a full year of riding experience. I grew up in a small town and did a lot of in town, surface street riding. I enjoy riding country roads and prefer two lane. I'm not a speed demon either. I'm most comfortable riding between 45-70.

Once I get in freeway traffic, I seem to feel most comfortable in the right lane. Something about having an "out" (ie pulling off quickly) seems to give me some sort of reassurance. However, in commuting traffic, that is not a good choice with all of the merging traffic coming onto the freeway.

Anyway, just curious if anyone else has experienced this and if so, what you did to resolve things.

Thanks!

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
use your mirrors, always have an escape route, and ALWAYS do a shoulder (lifesaver) check before moving lanes, and avoid riding next to somebody's blind spot

it's not that much different to being in a car, only you have to be aware that you are less likely to be seen, and can surprise people by how fast you can fill in a gap

most people here either ride in the slow lane or the outermost overtaking lane, in slow moving traffic i filter, but that may be illegal where you are.

mnuttall87

Reaction score
Visit site
The more you do it the easier it gets -- practice, practice, practice!

I would highly recommend going to an empty parking lot and trying some emergency braking/swerving/etc just to make sure you are up to speed on them. The freeway is not the place to discover that you aren't very good at evasive maneuvers.

You'll get it! I have full faith in you.

7UPyours

Reaction score
Visit site
I felt just like you at the begining and I only started riding this year (May '11) it defenitly gets easier with some more seat time. My brother says that highways are safer than back road as you don't have anyone pulling out from a side street. And as it was said before, double check when changing lanes and make sure people can see you when you're next to them. I so wish winter wasn't here in New England as I miss riding already.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Give yourself a space cushion with the car in front so if you have to brake it won't be hard and the vehicle behind you will have time to stop. Freeway negotiating on a bike is actually easier than a car due to your ability to share a lane with a merging car that is not paying attention and much better 360 degree visibility on a bike.

When in heavy volume I always ride the far left lane (In the DC area the left lane is HOV and motorcycles only during rush hour...much safer in the left lane with an out and you have less to fear from people merging from your right because they tend to see you better when you are on their left (driver's seat is on the left of cars).

Just use your head and pay attention and you will be just fine.

Downs

Touring Jarhead
Reaction score
Visit site
Keep in mind traveling on the interstate or freeway is generally safer than traveling on surface streets. Traffic is all going the same direction, limited access (I.E. no streets coming onto the freeway at a 90 degree angle) and you have signs telling you where on ramps are, ect.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Keep in mind traveling on the interstate or freeway is generally safer than traveling on surface streets. Traffic is all going the same direction, limited access (I.E. no streets coming onto the freeway at a 90 degree angle) and you have signs telling you where on ramps are, ect.

I agree. Surface street intersections are the most dangerous situation for bikers. If I had to guess I would say that 50% of motorcycle accidents happen in an intersection, 25% happen in a corner and the other 25% various freak happenings.

Downs

Touring Jarhead
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree. Surface street intersections are the most dangerous situation for bikers. If I had to guess I would say that 50% of motorcycle accidents happen in an intersection, 25% happen in a corner and the other 25% various freak happenings.

Naw the most common motorcycle accident is a single vehicle accident in a curve. I.E. the motorcyclist runs off the road. (at least in the US):thumbup:

The most common type of accident involving the bike and another vehicle is the dreaded "left turner" IIRC. Which you don't have to deal with on the interstate unless there's a drunken guy driving down it the wrong direction :D

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
The only thing I fear on the freeway is trucks...the wind gusts coming off the front of them can push you off the road at 80 mph.

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
I suggest following your commute route during an off time when there's little traffic, just to take a test run and get used to the roads. Watch for anything that may require special attention (exit/entry ramps), lights, cross roads, etc. That way when you run it during your commute/rush hour, there's that much less you have to keep track of and figure out.

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
Sometimes you have to be aggressive to be defensive. I feel highway riding is particularly nerve racking - but overcoming my fears is something I've always enjoyed.

I'm no longer afraid of riding on the highway. I have certain techniques that help me feel safer. For example:

Lets say you are on a 3 lane highway. Each lane has 3 potential lines you can ride. Left, Middle, or Right. I always tend to put myself in the lane most visible to people.
  • So, if I am in the slow lane, I ride to the far left of the lane about a foot or 2 off the dotted lane markings.
  • If I am in the middle lane, I tend to try to ride in the same lane position (far left, or #1) to have an escape route from people merging into the middle lane from the right.
  • If I am in the passing or far left lane, I tend to right the far right lane position, or #3. This gives a direct line of site to anybody's mirror turning INTO the passing lane as well. And as most people look in their mirrors before merging, being in that visible spot instead of being in lane position 1 where you would be blocked the car in front of you or in their blind spot - this helps be more visible to people merging in your lane.

Some other things I do are:
  • Use my highbeams when approaching slower moving traffic (if daylight, not trying to blind people).
  • Do a slight weave. By moving left the bike right to left to right about 6" - 1', this makes your headlights move in different directions rather than just a straight line. This increases the chances of your highbeams catching other motorists attention.
  • Look for people who are driving as if they are occupied or doing something - and make sure you stay away from them or plan an escape route and hawk them to make sure they don't turn in your lane without checking.
  • Let tailgaters pass
  • Move over out of the merging lane when approaching merge ramps
  • A big one I notice - watch for impatient mergers who want to shoot over 3 lanes and pass everybody who's merging to slowly

Most importantly just be aware and attentive. Act as if you cannot be seen and make sure you have an escape route for anything. Sometimes swerving is the only way to go if traffic suddenly stops. Just keep your cool, stay aware, and don't go any faster than you feel comfortable.

That's my best advice, coming from a daily highway rider for 4 years now. I'm not saying I am the most experienced, or pretending to be an expert rider - but this is what works for me.

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
The only thing I fear on the freeway is trucks...the wind gusts coming off the front of them can push you off the road at 80 mph.

I always found it interesting, and amused by, the air flow coming off vehicles, and how different shapes change the turbulence. Trucks definitely suck all the way around, though.

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
I've driven those exact roads you're talking about, and they can be intimidating. I would suggest you ride the expressway route at night and get a feel for the multi-lane highway when traffic is light.

This will help you gain experience on the expressway and build up a confidence level. Once you get some seat time, you'll start to feel more comfortable with the traffic.

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
I always found it interesting, and amused by, the air flow coming off vehicles, and how different shapes change the turbulence. Trucks definitely suck all the way around, though.

grip the tank with your legs, and hold the bars lightly, the bike isn't getting blown about as such, but as you tense up you apply force to the handlebars changing your direction

Downs

Touring Jarhead
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah if you are getting pushed "off the road" by 18 wheelers as they pass you or you pass them you need to work on riding technique. Shouldn't require more than a little lean one way or the other and you're good to go.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Just take a couple shoots of jack, and some xanex before you leave the house and you'll be fine.....

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
why dont you get familiar with the roads in your car for the first few times?
when i jumped on the interstate the first time it was on the rout i take to school, so i know it like the back of my hand. I know where the cracks are, where theres gravel sitting, and where the traffic usually dies off.
i still usually ride at odd hours, usually after midnight, you dont have to be afraid of rush hour to want to avoid it lol :thumbup:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've driven those exact roads you're talking about, and they can be intimidating. I would suggest you ride the expressway route at night and get a feel for the multi-lane highway when traffic is light.

This will help you gain experience on the expressway and build up a confidence level. Once you get some seat time, you'll start to feel more comfortable with the traffic.

+1:thumbup:

Build your riding experience up first before you tackle higher speeds. First of all do you have a M endorsement, and have you taken a safety class? A refresher course can't hurt and may even save your life or at the very least, eleminate some of the things that are making things difficult for you.

I will always warn that the freeway for the first time might be frightening for the first time. Therefore, they need to work on and getting use to riding faster by riding on expressways or roads that are like 45-55 mph rather than 70mph. Like mentioned, always a good idea to go and test the waters during "Off Peak" hours where there very little traffic to worry about.

You mentioned that you find yourself riding in the right lane often on the freeways. Be very careful as you approach each exit for vehicles making last second decisions to bail off the freeway from the outer lanes. Trust me, they are only concerned of making that exit, they are not looking for any motorcyclist!

Bottom line, freeways, you'll will eventually get use to it.

UHcougarJohn

Reaction score
Visit site
When I first started riding I hated the freeway too. Just took my time and kept in getting on.

Leave plenty of room and you'll be fine. After a while you'll get used to it and be able to predict what the cars around you are going to do.

Now Id rather be on the freeway.

Just give it time, I think what you are experiencing is normal.

Sent from my Droid via Tapatalk

Caesar

Reaction score
Visit site
I suggest following your commute route during an off time when there's little traffic, just to take a test run and get used to the roads. Watch for anything that may require special attention (exit/entry ramps), lights, cross roads, etc. That way when you run it during your commute/rush hour, there's that much less you have to keep track of and figure out.

I agree. This is how I am practicing right now. I started at the end of this riding season. I got on the freeway around noon one clear day with very light traffic. I still haven't ridden in heavy traffic but I think I will be ok.