Frame Sliders, Engine Guard and Anything Else Needed Day 1

brettster1200

New to Yamaha - Former HD
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Everyone - picking up my brand new 2009 FZ6S on Saturday and wanted to get your recommendations on what I need to do day 1.

So far I need:

Frame Sliders - the dealership did not have any - do you have any recommendations?

Engine Guard - new to this - are there ones that are better or worse?

Anything else?

Thanks everyone!

mxgolf

Motoup
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: This is a fantastic forum and you have purchased a fantastic motorcycle. Motovation makes great frame, fork and axle sliders. Not sure about engine guards but you should change handle bars to the FZ1 ones. The stock one are really bad. Once you get started moding you can't stop! :spank: :rockon:
Ride safe and enjoy! :D

Reaction score
Visit site
First things for me were:

gear (helmet, jacket, gloves, etc)

frame sliders (OES brand for me, lots of good ones though)

make sure you have insurance stuff with you and other legal stuff if needed

Then:

familiarize yourself with the bike via the manual

good break-in (no excessive revving, ride it kinda hard on occasion, engine braking, etc)

storage for the bike (kriega US-20 tail bag for me, I love kriega) to carry whatever you might need (lock, tools, ear plugs, sunglasses, duct tape, multi tool, etc if needed i.e. longer trips)

practice emergency stuff in a safe place to feel out the bike and it's limits. Try to controlled skid to see what it feels like, slow turns, hard braking, etc.

Lots of good info on this site, just search for it!

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe membership on a fz6S forum instead of a FZ6 as they are different bikes.

I believe you're thinking of the FZ6R. Otherwise, there's the FZ6S (the version sold in the US...with a fairing) and the FZ6N (the naked version that isn't sold in the US.) :thumbup:

Smersh

The Pillaging Tatar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:

This is a great community with LOTS and LOTS of useful info. First and foremost - good protective gear.

I have Shogun frame sliders - I haven't tested them myself, but they seem to have decent reputation.
Can't say anything about engine guard for FZ6 - i don't have one. But i did have sw-motech guards on my KLR650 and they performed well (tested multiple times).

Off the top of my head:
Universal:
  • Dual headlight mode
  • Stebel Horn
  • Centerstand

Long Distance Touring:
  • Sidecases/Topcase
  • Seat (opinions vary - i just got Spencer's and love it)

Oh yeah, :needpics:

Cheers

Spideyrex

Reaction score
Visit site
I'd add Killernoodle's clutch mod. I have one (but haven't testing it out yet hailing again today) but I hear that it transforms the clutch from an off/on switch to a real friction zone.

aziebell

Reaction score
Visit site
bd43's dual headlight mod is great. Both lights on at low beam, and you still have a high beam. He makes the kit himself and the quality is really good. It was my first mod, and I had never even lifted up the tank or done an oil change before and I had no trouble installing it. If interested, send him a PM and see if he is still making the kit.