Frame/Engine Paint

Mudkipz137

Reaction score
Visit site
Okay so I've got a Yam Blue FZ6 (2005), I'm getting ready to do a streetfigther conversion. But I've noticed several people on the forums have painted their engine black with a matte finish, lucky I did find a guide on how to do that, though I still have concerns regarding it.

How about the frame though? Do you have to strip the bike down to the frame and get it powdercoated, and put it back together? I'll be honest I may get in over my head if I do that. But taking a look at say... Wavex's bike, it blows me away. It looks amazing.

So 2 questions:
1) How did you paint the frame? (I'm still doing a couple forum searches looking for guide(s))
2) On frame/engine paint, does it stay pretty well or do you find that it rubs clean every so often and you have to do a 'touch up' coat every xx weeks/months/years?

I don't know how black frame/engine would look with a blue tank, but then again maybe I should just paint the tank?! :thumbup: When I do my naked conversion, I was planning on scotch padding all the rear plastics down and painting them a matte black, and using the tank as an 'accent' with the original blue, but the more I see these black on black the more I like them. We will see.

Thanks
Mud

TheRabbi

Reaction score
Visit site
You can just get a can of high heat paint (not the rattle can) and then apply it with any size brush you want, making it easy to just paint certain parts if you'd like. It is ideal to remove the part, but not necessary; however, be sure that the area is cool when applying the paint and that it is not parked outside or in an area where it gets excessively hot (living in Texas, I can't do this in the summer even if I'm in the garage).

Powder coating is very different (and any high heat area should really be ceramic coated) and would require you to take that piece off since it gets air brushed on.

Edit: I should say that I haven't coated any parts of my bike yet, I definitely plan on ceramic powder coating my headers and possibly powder coating my wheels (still 50/50 on it). But I've done several parts on my car (exhaust, engine and calipers) and they've held up fine and clean up fine. I got the flat black BBQ paint, but I know they make high gloss versions as well. ([ame="http://www.amazon.com/Eastwood-Gloss-Black-Ceramic-Engine/dp/B002S46T38"]Ceramic High Gloss Black[/ame])

Last edited: