Fork stabilizer anyone?

AJ_rider

Published FIZZER
Reaction score
Visit site
Anybody have any experience with a fork stabilizer? Particularly this one?

From the website.

SuperBrace is the leading motorcycle fork stabilizer. This patented brace provides better stability, superior aerodynamics and a more streamlined look than other multi-piece braces on the market.

Reduces low and high speed wobbles.
Improves stability in tight cornering.
Improves tire life and reduces cupping.
Decreases sensitivity to rough road surfaces and rain grooves.
Each SuperBrace is designed and manufactured for each specific motorcycle.
Every SuperBrace is made of 6061-T6 aircraft aluminum and machined to a tolerance of + or - .002 of an inch, with a polished finish.
Ten minute easy installation.
Competition proven by world class racers.

That all sounds pretty good and I'm tempted to pick one up. My co-worker has one for his Goldwing and swears buy it...not that I'm comparing a Goldwing to a FZ6 but just looking for a second opinion.

Another question, would this have the same effect as a steering damper?

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
It's different from a steering damper.

A fork brace can be a good thing. It stiffens the whole assembly and can improve the front end's handling. They're especially useful on bikes with single front disks, where the act of using the front brake causes the forks to twist.

A badly made or installed fork brace can also make your bike handle worse. If it's not perfectly aligned, it will pull the tops of the fork lowers out of parallel, which will cause your forks to bind instead of moving smoothly. For this reason, it's important to install a fork brace by the following procedure.

1. Centerstand the bike.

2. Support the front end of the bike off of the ground.

3. Remove the fork caps and fork springs.

4. Remove the front wheel, then reinstall the axle. (this is purely to reduce weight)

5. Check that the forks are parallel by laying a pane of glass against both tubes at the same time. It should not be able to rock or wobble at all. It if can, the forks are bent or are not parallel. Loosen the tripleclamps and fix this problem.

6. Once the forks are parallel and moving smoothly with everything tightened up, install the fork brace. When properly installed, the forks will still move as smoothly as before. if they bind, the fork brace needs to be adjusted. Many have adjustable width. Or the brace may just be installed at a slight tilt. This can make it bind too. Of course, if the brace is junk, then no amount of adjusting will help you.

7. Once the brace is in place and the forks are sliding smoothly, reinstall the wheel, fork springs and fork caps.

Last edited:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It's different from a steering damper.

A fork brace can be a good thing. It stiffens the whole assembly and can improve the front end's handling. They're especially useful on bikes with single front disks, where the act of using the front brake causes the forks to twist.

A badly made or installed fork brace can also make your bike handle worse. If it's not perfectly aligned, it will pull the tops of the fork lowers out of parallel, which will cause your forks to bind instead of moving smoothly. For this reason, it's important to install a fork brace by the following procedure.

1. Centerstand the bike.

2. Support the front end of the bike off of the ground.

3. Remove the fork caps and fork springs.

4. Remove the front wheel, then reinstall the axle. (this is purely to reduce weight)

5. Check that the forks are parallel by laying a pane of glass against both tubes at the same time. It should not be able to rock or wobble at all. It if can, the forks are bent or are not parallel. Loosen the tripleclamps and fix this problem.

6. Once the forks are parallel and moving smoothly with everything tightened up, install the fork brace. When properly installed, the forks will still move as smoothly as before. if they bind, the fork brace needs to be adjusted. Many have adjustable width. Or the brace may just be installed at a slight tilt. This can make it bind too. Of course, if the brake is junk, then no amount of adjusting will help you.

7. Once the brace is in place and the forks are sliding smoothly, reinstall the wheel, fork springs and fork caps.
So not really a 10 minute install mate?

Nelly

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Not if you wanna do it right. But surprisingly few people care about that. :squid::squid::squid:

Fred
I am not dissing you Fred, It pisses me off when a mechanical moron like me sees a product and thinks that it will work as described.
I would rather know that it will take half a day to do.

Cheers

nelly

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
I wasn't insulted and I didn't mean my reply to appear as though I was. I was making a generic anti-squid comment. I would NEVER call you a squid (to your face!)

:)

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've had them on all of my bikes in the past. I've noticed they really make the initiation of the turn sharper. The fork brace helps take the twist out of the fork as you steer. I've noticed that with the newer bikes with big fork legs most riders don't use them anymore. Our legs seem pretty stout to me and at 42mm they are a heck of a lot stronger then the old 34mm to 36mm legs.

Steering dampers are great for fast direction changes over bumpy surfaces. They help dampen the oscilations that can develop. However like the strong forks we have, the FZ doesn't seem to want to shake its head hard, or at all. Our frame is SOOOO nice and strong compared to older bikes with a backbone frame.

However...you can NEVER have enough performance bling, as long as it isn't chromed! :eek:

AJ_rider

Published FIZZER
Reaction score
Visit site
However...you can NEVER have enough performance bling, as long as it isn't chromed! :eek:

Very true. I've never really felt very loose/wobbly in the corners but I figure it couldn't hurt. Thanks to Fred as well, I would've installed this the 10 minute way and never been the wiser.

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
Fully loaded on this trip (hard bags and camping gear on the passenger seat) the fizzer would do a mild tankslapper if I let go of the bars and let the bike slow down to about 40mph. I haven't tried it since I got home, but I suspect it was due to all the weight on the back end lightening up the front of the bike.

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
I've noticed that with the newer bikes with big fork legs most riders don't use them anymore. Our legs seem pretty stout to me and at 42mm they are a heck of a lot stronger then the old 34mm to 36mm legs.

If you are referring to the inverted forks as the newer bigger forks you cant install a brace due to the travel of the front wheel.

Fred,

Would you mind explaining why you have to remove the caps and springs to put a brace on?

My father had a brace on his XR 600 back in the day. The way it mounted, it clamped on to the top of the larger tubes. He removed the forks slid the brace on put the forks back in the trees and tightened them down. Then made the sure the brace was straight and torqued it down. It wasnt exactly a 10 minute install, but it didnt require gutting the forks.

Im confused.
http://www.xrsonly.com/data_UD/src/forkbracekit.jpg

That and their peices all have what looks like a parting line down the middle of them? I am not sure if that is where the two peices of the mold were if they were cast? If so they should have done a better job in finishing the product. But when you look at pictures of customers bikes you can see, especially on the black ones, a silver line at that parting line. Makes me think it is a two piece which would be a 10 minute install. No need to even pull the forks off or the wheel.

-bryan

Last edited:

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
You take off the wheel to reduce weight. Then you pull the caps and springs. Now you can slide the forks up and down with very little effort, and can feel if they're binding.

It's not necessary to remove them to put the brace on. But with the wheel off and the springs out, you're able to get everything aligned and working smoothly.

The parting line you're looking it is a seam. The brace splits in half so you can put it on without having to remove the forks.

Fred

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
The parting line you're looking it is a seam. The brace splits in half so you can put it on without having to remove the forks.

Fred

No need to even check. I mean as long as your tripple trees are not bent the forks will always be straight. You shouldnt have to put any force on the brace to get it in possition around the forks. If you do then you know you have a problem.

-bryan

Last edited:

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
I put one on my XR650, and it really firmed up the front end. The forks on it are like wet noodles though. I hadn't even thought about one for the FZ.

jsp

Easyrider
Reaction score
Visit site
I put one on my XR650, and it really firmed up the front end. The forks on it are like wet noodles though. I hadn't even thought about one for the FZ.

In a XR, DR, TT etc, it is defenitly a good choice, But in a FZ I guess it is a waste of money.