? for electrical experts

buckeyethunder

Reaction score
Visit site
Been thinking about getting a speaker and amp kit to mount on fz6 to hook up mp3.Amp is rated @ 100 watts and speakers are 3 inch waterproof.Made by Shark company.My question is would this be to hard on the electrical system(stator)?I have no other electrical addons.Will these systems hold up on a motorcycle?Thanks in advance for any responses,and its ok to LOL when you see this post.You dont have to be a electrical expert to respond to this.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Been thinking about getting a speaker and amp kit to mount on fz6 to hook up mp3.Amp is rated @ 100 watts and speakers are 3 inch waterproof.Made by Shark company.My question is would this be to hard on the electrical system(stator)?I have no other electrical addons.Will these systems hold up on a motorcycle?Thanks in advance for any responses,and its ok to LOL when you see this post.You dont have to be a electrical expert to respond to this.

100 Watts peak is not as bad as it 'sounds'..... No one can run a stereo wide open at all times. If you could, 100 watts/ 12 volts = ~ 8 amperes of current. As the system has roughly that much 'excess' current/wattage available, you'd consume the whole amount possible.

This is about the same amount of juice you'd consume with heated grips, and the second headlight turned on.

I wouldn't want to run that with the engine off, you'd tank the battery pretty quickly. I'd also suggest doing this with the engine running above idle to make sure you keep the battery topped up.

If you spend more of your time with the volume at less than max, the drain on the system would go down as a function of how much current you're acutally using.

brad81987

Reaction score
Visit site
I wouldn't see a big problem with it. I'd install a volt meter while you're at it though so you can keep an eye on the system voltage. If it starts dropping, kill the radio.

Curious, are you really going to be able to even hear it over ~45mph?

buckeyethunder

Reaction score
Visit site
brad,
That is a good question,maybe we will get another response on noise level.
Dont know if I am going to do it or not,the disadvantages outweigh the advantages. thx for responses.

brad81987

Reaction score
Visit site
I would love to have music on the bike. Having ridden Goldwings a few times, I know first hand how much more enjoyable it can make the ride. I can see it working well in the city, but on the highway I usually wear ear plugs for long rides otherwise it's just too loud, which is also where music would be nice. I have tried wearing earbuds that seal off the outside noise and they work pretty well, but it usually takes 10 minutes to get my helmet on without pulling them out and get thesm situated comfortably, and then they usually start backing out or fall out after an hour or so anyways..... sigh

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I would love to have music on the bike. Having ridden Goldwings a few times, I know first hand how much more enjoyable it can make the ride. I can see it working well in the city, but on the highway I usually wear ear plugs for long rides otherwise it's just too loud, which is also where music would be nice. I have tried wearing earbuds that seal off the outside noise and they work pretty well, but it usually takes 10 minutes to get my helmet on without pulling them out and get thesm situated comfortably, and then they usually start backing out or fall out after an hour or so anyways..... sigh

All this makes great sense, and i feel your pain re the earbuds falling out, etc...they are a pain...

Re the wind turbulence / noise factor, i reckon these would kill the listening experience through speakers on a bike like the FZ6...

i reckon a set of those flat style speakers, that sit in the earpod cavity in your helmet, with a cordless bluetooth link to your music source, would be a much easier option than fitting speakers, etc...

But some cranking speakers would be cool! :thumbup:

clunk

Apprentice
Reaction score
Visit site
I second the motion for a bluetooth solution. Picked up a set of the Sena SMH10 headsets when they were posted up a while ago. I wear earplugs so I have to turn the sound just about to max, but the music actually comes through very well. I have an iPhone, so I can also activate the voice control function and use the mic to navigate the playlists (with moderate success).