Flattened coolant pipe on left side of bike

Scorphonic

No Man is an Ireland.
Reaction score
Visit site
I just noticed the other day that the thick pipe running from under the tank to the radiator on the left hand side of the bike has become flattened...as if there is a vacuum inside. Is this a major indication that i need to replace the coolant?

I cant see inside the radiator....so there maybe very little there but even saying that i would have expected the bike to start to run at a higher temperature but it doesn't.

Any suggestions, just change the coolant?

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not 100% sure but can't you open that cap on the front side of the bike (the one with a single bolt holding it in) and take a peak at the level of coolant, should be full to the top?
Can't remember off the top of my head which side it is, have a feeling its the right side.

Not sure if this is good advice though :D

Scorphonic

No Man is an Ireland.
Reaction score
Visit site
I never thought about that!

I opened that up before alright and it was up to the very top..so maybe now its leaking in some way?

But why then would it be in a vacuum and ok-ish during normal driving?

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
Is the hose only flattened when the bike is cold?

The radiator cap has a small check valve that will let the coolant system draw in extra coolant from the reservoir when the bike cools down. If this valve is stuck closed, or if the hose from the radiator cap to the reservoir is blocked or kinked, you'll get a vacuum in the cooling system when the bike cools down.

Fred

Adirondack Jack

Don't call me " Jun ior&a
Reaction score
Visit site
It sounds to me like the hose has lost it's structural integrity for some unknown reason. I would suggest a replacement asap.

Scorphonic

No Man is an Ireland.
Reaction score
Visit site
Emmmm...thank you both for the further advice.

I'll give a look at the reservoir when I get home to the bike...I dont think it will need replacing since the pipes are flexible anyway, and it seems to be this vacuum that is causing the problem.

I think the reservoir idea is the best approach for now. :)

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
tccs1079.gif

You should be able to suck air through the little tiny circle at the very center of the cap. If you can't, then you found your problem.

To test the hose to the reservoir, just blow through it and see if you can blow bubbles into the reservoir. Don't suck on this hose unless you want a mouthful of antifreeze.

Fred

segue00

Burrrppppp, aaaaaahhhh
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I just noticed the other day that the thick pipe running from under the tank to the radiator on the left hand side of the bike has become flattened...as if there is a vacuum inside. Is this a major indication that i need to replace the coolant?

I cant see inside the radiator....so there maybe very little there but even saying that i would have expected the bike to start to run at a higher temperature but it doesn't.

Any suggestions, just change the coolant?

You might wanna check the coolant drain tube. It might be kinked.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree with Fred. I would first check the check valve on the radiator cap. Sounds like it's stuck closed. Could be from contaminants so also flush and refill with new coolant. It should easily allow coolant to be sucked into the radiator without ever collapsing that hose. If this is happening your cooling system isn't replenishing from the reservoir.

Cliff