FJR1300... incredible?

JohnP

3rd Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Compared to the guy in the video, I'm not a fast rider by any stretch of the imagination, but when I rode my stock 'wing with Harley drivers, I felt like I was going backward.

-John

H

HavBlue

I learn something new every day. It's still not in my gotta-have-it list, but I deffinately have more respect for the Wing. Thanks!

Every bike has its place and its rider. :thumbup:

If you folks ever get to ride with a Wing owners group please go for it and enlighten yourselves on how these folks do business so to speak. If you are not a long rider please be prepared to be one on that day. My neighbor has a beautiful 1500 Wing and I have been out with his group on more than a few day trips. These folks hit the road and just keep right on riding which is right up my alley. The group stops roughly every 120-150 miles and they run roughly 65-75 all the way when they can. They are all about riding safe and they cheat too because they are all linked with radio comm units; no hand signals for them. I have no problem riding with those folks at all and they are an awesome group well dedicated to the ride experience.

lasermax

Reaction score
Visit site
I second that. We have a midnite run out here in MI, and we ride from the bottom to the top of the state, stopping here and there for gas and the like. We ride up to St Ignace, by way of the Mackinac Bridge. Funny, as you get closer to the final destination, more and more harley riders join the group IN THE FRONT to be on TV as we all pass through the city limits. The wing guys are all hard core. Wings rule.

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
As you may already know, I think that it is a vid of "Yellow Wolf" the famed and apparently now retired "Dragon Slayer" he was rumored to have several thousand dollars of suspension upgrades to that wing, however it in no way deminishes the man's insane skill!!

I would like to see the list of suspension upgrades. If you look into the aftermarket work of a gold wing you will find that there isnt alot out there for peformance.

There is no point in it. It is by far one of the best motorcycles built. I am willing to bet that bike is bone stock other than a little fine tuning.

In Japan they are choping the back ends of them up and equiping them fold up racks and using them as tow vehicals.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuL7cOO6EfY"]YouTube - Japanese Tow Trucks[/ame]

A little fun trivia for you. Yellow Wolf is the only person to have a Iron but award for doing the same roads back and forth. Thats right kids, he did Deals gap repetivily and got over 1000 miles in 24 hours. He argued with them but ultimitly got his way. The rules state in the IBA handbook that the trip must be a round trip and not a down in back across the same roads.

Also, Yellow wolf is no longer on the yellow machine anymore, This past winter he got himself on one of the rust colored wings. They called him Burnt Wolf on the captions. It was the Killboy Highlights page.

Oh and another fun fact.

The same motor that is in the goldwing is also in the Valkyrie. Those engines are so smooth that you can ballance a nickel on the valve cover of the engine. Fire it up and rev the piss out of the engine and the nickel will wont fall untill close to red line. It is a huge selling tool for the motorcycles.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGK9techDls"]YouTube - Nickel Trick[/ame]

Last edited:

sideslider

Reaction score
Visit site

JohnP

3rd Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I would like to see the list of suspension upgrades. If you look into the aftermarket work of a gold wing you will find that there isnt alot out there for peformance.

There is no point in it. It is by far one of the best motorcycles built. I am willing to bet that bike is bone stock other than a little fine tuning.

The Goldwing suspension can definately be improved. Traxxion makes a complete upgrade kit which I beleive costs over $2K installed. They have a video on their site, Traxxion.com, which explains the shortcomings of the stock suspension, albeit biased.

IThe same motor that is in the goldwing is also in the Valkyrie. Those engines are so smooth that you can ballance a nickel on the valve cover of the engine. Fire it up and rev the piss out of the engine and the nickel will wont fall untill close to red line. It is a huge selling tool for the motorcycles.

This video looks like its from the old Valkyrie which had the GL1500 engine from the previous generation Goldwing. The Valkyrie Rune had a version of the GL1800 engine. Neither bike is currently being manufactured.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

rbesr

Reaction score
Visit site
Not knocking the Wing as a long distance scoot. They are a great bike but I'll take the comfort of my Venture over a Wing any day. For pure comfort over the long haul, I prefer the relaxed riding position over the more upright position of the Wing. The ergos of the bike are just not for me.

As far as eating up the miles goes, both bikes do a fantastic job. They just go about it differently from each other.

HavBlue, have you priced the CB option for the Wing lately? For what they charge for the bike, you'd think Honda would make it standard.

H

HavBlue

I love the sound of floorboards grinding in the morning!

Hey Pete, if you have floorboards it isn't a stock Wing because they don't have any Sarge. I guess somebody forgot to issue them in basic...LOL...

chokeslam512

Dental Floss Tycoon
Reaction score
Visit site

In Japan they are choping the back ends of them up and equiping them fold up racks and using them as tow vehicals.

YouTube - Japanese Tow Trucks

A little fun trivia for you. Yellow Wolf is the only person to have a Iron but award for doing the same roads back and forth. Thats right kids, he did Deals gap repetivily and got over 1000 miles in 24 hours. He argued with them but ultimitly got his way. The rules state in the IBA handbook that the trip must be a round trip and not a down in back across the same roads.

Also, Yellow wolf is no longer on the yellow machine anymore, This past winter he got himself on one of the rust colored wings. They called him Burnt Wolf on the captions. It was the Killboy Highlights page.

Oh and another fun fact.

The same motor that is in the goldwing is also in the Valkyrie. Those engines are so smooth that you can ballance a nickel on the valve cover of the engine. Fire it up and rev the piss out of the engine and the nickel will wont fall untill close to red line. It is a huge selling tool for the motorcycles.

YouTube - Nickel Trick

I wonder how you earn the badges : "VAG Assistans". I really need to know how to get that job (look at the first video close to the end)