Fixing FRANKENSTEIN

Cameronhall

Reaction score
Visit site
So My friend purchased a 2005 FZ6 30k that was apparently set up for Drag. No no lady clothes and makeup, like full throttle straight line..........

Mods:
Race clutch
15 toooth sprocket
+2 for the rear sprocket (not sure how many that is)
+6 inch extended swingarm welded on from a GSXR (yeah i know but bare with me)
Power Commander
Leo Vince Exhaust delete cat
NO TURN SIGNALS
and the front forks are slammed (very low, when bought the bike they hada freaking strap wrapped around the forks to brackets on the end of them were the wheel mounts for what i dont know)
and rear spring has been heated and crimped (bottom three spirals touch)
and it just gets worse from there

Ive Replaced or Put back:
Factory swingarm, Factory rear sprocket (he needs a new chain)
Removed the destroyed fairing and installed the Dominator headlight kit.
So far so good BUT the chain isn't right.

-the spring being so low the bikes chain will be too tight if correctly ajusted in the air.
so the chain has to slack a bit more than specs intend.

-the fork bottom out ALL DAY LONG and the bike is stiff as HELL.

Question (i know it took forever)
-were can i get me hands on an OEM spring?
-How do i go about reverting the forks back to normal or do R6 conversion (cheaper better)?

PLEASE HELP

Last edited:

VUU

VW gearhead
Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats on your find, the extended swingarm and lowered front end are common on drag racing bikes, lowers cg, makes it less prone to wheelie, hadn't heard of ghetto lowering the rear, but I'm not shocked.
Lots of info on the r6 front end conversion on this site just a search away, iirc, you need, forks, brakes front axle and the front fender, perhaps more I'm sure someone with more knowledge will chime in. as far as the stock forks go, loosen the triple clamps to get them flush with the steering head and remove the lowering strap, you may still need new internals which isn't too bad. As for the rear, your best bet is one of the many sites selling OEM yamaha parts unless you want to step up to the Ohlins unit, Haven't heard of any other companies making aftermarket shocks, but again I may be wrong, good luck and keep it sticky side down, shiny side up.

*edit I see you already found a spring, looks like this fizzer is on it's way to being loved again.

Last edited:

Randomchaos

Flaming Hot Doughnut
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If the front fork springs have been modded, I have a set of stock ones at my parents house I could send ya. The front straps are there to get the front end as low as possible to help keep it from wheeling. Got any pictures of the bike in drag form?

Cameronhall

Reaction score
Visit site
ill look through my phone and see if he has any pics. he is getting the factory spring for the rear from a member and we'll swap that. i did notice the the forks are about 2.5 to 3 inchs higher than the tree. normall the forls would be flush with the top of the tree. once the sping is replaced in the rear ill raise the front and see how she rides thanks for the help again?

Last edited: