First time at the drag strip

CdnMedic

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, a friend is hosting a test and tune weekend at a local drag strip, and this will be my first time.
I race motocross, so my launching technique is pretty fast. Feet on the ground, clutch to the friction point, throttle up, I feel good at around 4 or 5 grand, and front brake just barely holding it back. I'm used to watching a gate drop and reacting to it, so my reaction time should be very good since I can count when the green will go.
Do you guys avoid the water in the burn out box? And do you even bother with getting the tire hot?
What kind of a time should I expect? I'm thinking something in the mid to high 11s, with a speed of about 200... Is this pretty close?

ParkinLotFz6

Reaction score
Visit site
Well I wouldnt say I can try but I did about a year ago a 11.82. I was on a 190/55/17 Pilot Power, Two brothers exaust, K&N Filter.. With really good track conditions and descent tempature. You will prolly do way better than my but this was my best before I stunted mine out...

trick6

Fz6=Funtimes
Reaction score
Visit site
my first time at the drag strip was down the 1/8 mile track. also used to race mx. i only got to run once, but i had a .063 reaction time and ran 7.78 at 93 mph i believe. dont know if this is much help since you're measuring in km/h and also the 1/4 mile...or whatever canada's equivalent is? do you guys measure your dragstrips in miles or kilometers? anyways, that's all i got...some guy in the next lane had a honda atv frame with a honda cbr1000 engine and a wheelie bar. he ran 7.01.

sideshow_downs

Finally Summer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ive been to the strip a few times. Avoid the water box i do a small burnout to get a little heat in the tire. My fastest time was 11.92 at 113mph. This was in texas on a hot humid night. The most importantthing is to have fun and dont loop it over backwards off the line.

Post up your times after you go

CdnMedic

Reaction score
Visit site
I'll have onboard video of my runs, so I'll take y'all for the ride.
We've been having some cooler, less humid nights than we are used to during the summer, and if the weather is like it was tonight, the bike will be running pretty quick!
I was out tonight practicing my launches and into 2nd gear... I love how this bike makes people take a second look.
And yes, up here we measure them in 1/8 and 1/4 miles. We just use Km/hr for our speed.