First night ride

necrotimus

Stop looking at my title!
Reaction score
Visit site
Well last night I rode for the first time at night. I will admit I was a little nervous. I hadn't planned on it but I was forced to work late at the last minute because it is this government's fiscal year end on this new software and they didn't feel comfortable. So after working from 8am till 11:30pm I jumped my train to within 20 miles from my house. Wow it was erie.

A big thunderstorm had just rolled through so the roads were wet, like in the movies. And you could still see distant flashes of lightening on the horizon. I had started carrying my high visibility vest with me at all times in case I get stuck in the rain on my commute so I made sure to throw that on. The first thing I learned about night riding is you can't really see all the potholes leaving the parking garage that you can in the day. The second thing I learned was there are a lot more potholes then I remember :)

It was about 12:30am and there was nobody on the side streets. I had to run a red light after treating as a stop sign (thanks forum). The side streets were awesome looking with the wet streets and the street lights and the lone motorcyclist. I took it easy as I was tired and was unwinding.

Then I had to get on I95 south of the springfield interchange. Highway riding at night for me seemed much quieter. I'm not sure if it was quieter or if it just felt quieter. I did see one kick ass thing and I wish I had a camera. At one point I was passing under a crossing street and there was a dense fog above it, almost smoke like, spilling off the bridge like a waterfall onto 95. There was no other fog except above the road trickling down. And the way it was backlit parts of it look like it was on fire. I got to drive right through the 'curtain' of fog and it was completely clear on the other side.

I changed my habits up a little bit and took a slightly different route home to avoid side roads where I would be less visible but still made it home in less time than a normal comute. Rolled up at about 1am.

I can see why night riding is so addictive to some people but I still have a healthy respect for being less visible on an already invisible vehicle.

boo68

I'm a girl dammit!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats on your first night ride. :cheer: Glad you allowed yourself the time to take the more visible roads, and that you made it home safely. I am sure you are very tired today though. Hopefully an earlier day than lastnight. ;)

Deb

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Who is night riding addictive to???????????

Not me thats for sure.

Its not only people that cannot see you, it is also when all the animals come out to play.

I always try to avoid riding in the dark if at all possible.

Steve

oldtimer

Oh Noes!!
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for sharing your experience. Not only did you ride for the first time in the dark, but you rode in the worst of circumstances (wet roads + dark). Smart thinking to change up your route to be more visible, but it can also be dangerous if you're not familiar with the detour.

Personally, I won't ride in the dark. This whole sun setting earlier and earlier is going to eventually cause me either to wake up earlier for work (impossible) or most likely cause me to use the car for commuting instead.

I don't have a reflective vest and of course, my leather jacket and bike is Biker Black.

Driving around NOVA in the dark - forget it...it's already white knuckle driving during rush hour, I dont want to risk it at night when I'm completely invisible to the drunks, tired drivers, and animals that are awake during those hours.

necrotimus

Stop looking at my title!
Reaction score
Visit site
Who is night riding addictive to???????????

Not me thats for sure.

Its not only people that cannot see you, it is also when all the animals come out to play.

I always try to avoid riding in the dark if at all possible.

Steve

LoL! You wouldn't have the animal problem if you deforested all your land and ate all the animals. Then you would live in a city ;)

You bastards and your natural scenary mucking the planet up. Give me street lamps and 12 lanes over the moon and a country road.

W

wrightme43

I LOVE NIGHTRIDES!!!!!!

Here in KY we have lots of rolling hills. The road some nights rises and falls thru a light fog layer. Its really really cool to have a thin layer of fog just over the top of your helmet as you ride down the road.
Animals are usually very easy for me to see. I have been surprised by a few that were facing away from me, thats a part of it. I just slow down.
Night rides at 40mph thru mammoth cave national park when there are just no other cars on the roads ROCK!!!!

Glad you had fun. I love the muffled sounds just after a rain, I really wanna get a rat bike, spike the tires and ride in the snow one day.

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I work afternoon shift so I ride home at midnight every night. Some built up areas, some not lit at all. If it's raining I wear my amber lensed goggles for ease of spotting man hole covers and painted lines but otherwise it's like riding during the day, only darker:thumbup:...lol...but aren't the headlights fantastic on these bikes:cheer:. Not like my old yellow sealed beams:eek:....LMAO.
Cheers
Mike

cv_rider

Reaction score
Visit site
I've not ridden in the dark, and will try to avoid it until I'm forced into it by an unexpected circumstance. Just seems to push the risks too high, especially because my main night riding option would be commuting home on jammed interstates. I find when I'm caging that it's hard to judge by headlights in the mirror how close cars are to me or how fast they are approaching me in adjacent lanes. It would be even harder to judge a motorcycles, and a dual beam MC would be even worse. Just stacking up the risks.

I

inkrediboy

I LOVE NIGHTRIDES!!!!!!

Here in KY we have lots of rolling hills. The road some nights rises and falls thru a light fog layer. Its really really cool to have a thin layer of fog just over the top of your helmet as you ride down the road.
Animals are usually very easy for me to see. I have been surprised by a few that were facing away from me, thats a part of it. I just slow down.
Night rides at 40mph thru mammoth cave national park when there are just no other cars on the roads ROCK!!!!

Glad you had fun. I love the muffled sounds just after a rain, I really wanna get a rat bike, spike the tires and ride in the snow one day.

I as brother Steve - don't cater my riding to sun up, or sundown, or moonlight. A ride is a ride, I never quite realized how many of motorcyclists view night riding as an exception. That's a bit weird - hmmmmmmmmm wow....

I go out at all times of the night - in fact, to me, it's the safest time to ride because no one is out there (later later that is) amd the ones that are - you can pick them out cleanly and ride defensively if needed.

I like the night rides - for me I prefer it to the sick hot days in Cally - all the lights, and street surfaces seem to add to the sense of speed and exhileration. Canyon riding at night is scary - I guess i'm a thrill junkie - or just really stupid!!!

Ride with a good reflector jacket type (I use a rain jacket) and enjoy the view of your instrument cluster that just seems to take on a whole new look :) My R1 is Charcoal Raven black - and it never spooked me once yet.

The night time is the right time!

This post makes me want to ride right now - I think I'm going to cruise around the block a few times, be right back....

INK.

ANLR21

Master Blaster
Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats on your first night ride, and I'm glad you made it home to write about it. I know those roads fairly well, and although I love riding at night and have been doing it for many years, I too would be nervous around there.

If you've not already done so, on this and other forums are plenty of advice on a simple wiring change to kick both low beams on rather than just the single one. This, along with a bulb upgrade, can make a tremendous difference in your being able to see, and to be seen. I use SilverStar Ultras, which work well for me. With more work, you can set it up to have both headlights have both low and high beams. Some have just gone crazy and gone to ex-BMW HIDs, too much fabrication for me.

Now, if I could just find a really bright LED taillight........

TigerHijinks

Reaction score
Visit site
Did my first night ride on the FZ a couple weeks ago. 14 miles between two small towns and I got flashed at least 8 times. That was probably 8 out of 12 cars that I saw. Haven't even done the headlight mod yet.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well done on your first night ride and having the common sense to adjust your ride and route accordingly.
I guess that night time riding is down to the individual and the perceived hazards that they have in their areas. Where I live I am unlikely to come across any animals that will cause me any danger.
I really like night rides, fewer cars and people around. Its nice and quiet and I find it to be a very chilled and relaxing experience.

Nelly

vinpub

Reaction score
Visit site
I have done some night riding and if the traffic is very light, it is kind of fun.
I don't like it when the traffic is still heavy in the night - like CA highways - too many lights in all lanes. It gets a little distracting. Especially at the end of work day, sometimes I find it hard to watch for tail lights vs brake lights and my reaction is a little slower. So I have to adjust the speed.
On side streets, i haven't encountered too many animal problems (could happen on more open, less travelled roads I guess), but I do find it a little hard to negotiate sharp curves, especially since you cannot see through the curve all the way in the dark - visibility limited to your headlight zone.
So i just take it a little easy.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
What a great description, I could picture everything you described!
Although, this:
At one point I was passing under a crossing street and there was a dense fog above it, almost smoke like, spilling off the bridge like a waterfall onto 95. There was no other fog except above the road trickling down. And the way it was backlit parts of it look like it was on fire. I got to drive right through the 'curtain' of fog and it was completely clear on the other side.
gave me pause; are you sure a hydrochloric acid tanker truck didn't just have a spill on the road above??? :eek: