First Major XB9SX Mod

MisterX

TopEnd.tv Guy
Reaction score
www.TopEnd.tv
Well, after seeing Wavex's bike and the tail/fender mod that he applied, I thought that I'd try my hand at it. The tail/fender section has what's considered the 'cheese grater', and although I personally think that it looks fine, I prefer the bob tail look on the Buell. The initial cutting was a major pain since I don't own any power tool other than a drill. So I purchased a cutting wheel attachment and went to town. Eight cutting disks later, I was ready to grind things down and smooth out the rough edges. Not wanting to try the grinding with my drill, I decided to go and purchase a cutting/grinding tool, which probably would have saved me a lot of time in the first place. At this point my friend Saul came over and ground down the pointy parts, added bondo where necessary, then primed and painted it. The end result looks great. I'm still waiting for the paint to set and cure. Since it's been cold and a bit wet here, that process is taking longer than expected. Once it's fully dry, I'll put it back on the bike and post a pic or two of that.

Please forgive the craptastic quality of the pics. Although the iPhone is a fantastic piece of technology, it takes horrible pictures.

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
Very nice! mine looks EXACTLY the same :D except I bent the license plate up quite a bit, to make it more aerodynamic lol

MisterX

TopEnd.tv Guy
Reaction score
www.TopEnd.tv
Very nice! mine looks EXACTLY the same :D except I bent the license plate up quite a bit, to make it more aerodynamic lol

LOL! Yeah. Right now the license plate is held on with bent L-brackets. I eventually plan on making a holder later on. Maybe my next project?

:D

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
yeah same on the L brackets... except mine are definitely bent way more then yours :D

Did you do the dual headlight mod already? quite easy... and it gives you both headlights ON when in high beam... (I always ride in High beams during the day)

MisterX

TopEnd.tv Guy
Reaction score
www.TopEnd.tv
No, I haven't done the dual headlight mod yet. I've looked around for some instructions on how to do it, but haven't found anything worthwhile yet. Maybe I've been looking in the wrong areas. Did you find instructions somewhere on how to do it, or did you go about it on your own? Either way, could you share?

Many thanks!

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
No, I haven't done the dual headlight mod yet. I've looked around for some instructions on how to do it, but haven't found anything worthwhile yet. Maybe I've been looking in the wrong areas. Did you find instructions somewhere on how to do it, or did you go about it on your own? Either way, could you share?

Many thanks!

Yeah you can find instructions all over the place, but here is one thread that you can see without having to register: Running both headlights on Lightning models - BuelletinBoard

MisterX

TopEnd.tv Guy
Reaction score
www.TopEnd.tv
Fantastic! I'll see about working on that this weekend. After glancing over the initial posts, the mod looks relatively easy. Definitely easier than the dual headlight mod for the FZ6.

Thanks for the info! :rockon:

MisterX

TopEnd.tv Guy
Reaction score
www.TopEnd.tv
Man... that's almost too easy. If I weren't so lazy, I'd go out and do it now. :D

As for Bad Weather Bikers, I do go to that forum from time to time. It has a substantial amount of useful information. However, to me, it seems a bit convoluted compared to some of the forums that I'm used to visiting. Maybe I should put more effort into the inner workings of the site.

Thanks for all your help!

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
Man... that's almost too easy. If I weren't so lazy, I'd go out and do it now. :D

As for Bad Weather Bikers, I do go to that forum from time to time. It has a substantial amount of useful information. However, to me, it seems a bit convoluted compared to some of the forums that I'm used to visiting. Maybe I should put more effort into the inner workings of the site.

Thanks for all your help!

I agree, badwebs is running on older software, which is not that great... however, that forum has the best info, and once you get used to the format, it's not that bad :)
Also, FYI they have 2 official Buell tech guys on that forum, and they help quite a lot...

BTW, did you see my trackday thread? Buells rock on the track man!!! The flat torque curve and smooth power delivery make for a great combo in the twisty part of the track, and I had massive fun on it... of course the bigger SS bikes would eat me up on the front straight for anything above 100mph, but who cares about speed in a staight line right? :)
If you get a chance, take it out to the track... you'll have the time of your life :)

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks great, very professional. :thumbup:

Kinda funny that we are growing a nice little Buell click.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks great, very professional. :thumbup:

Kinda funny that we are growing a nice little Buell click.

Agree, it looks fantastic....such a neat rear end on the Buell to start with, lovely bike.

Have also noticed the Buell click thing in here too...fine with me, Love the Buell's!

:thumbup: