First bike - Charlotte NC

es.biggs

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys just thought I'd post something up here. I've been lurking the classifieds lately so here's a little introduction.

My name is Ethan Biggs. I'll be 21 in 4 days. I work as a mechanic at Hendrick BMW here in Charlotte. A friend of mine bought himself a new Nightster so I picked up his 05 FZ6 for $1,000. It's been dropped twice and has some damage to the tank and rear handles that need some attention. But it's my first bike, and it runs wonderfully! I plan on doing some maintenance - got a hard copy I the factory service manual from him with the bike. Just over 17k miles.

Here's a picture of my baby number 1:

View attachment 40889

That's a 1990 Nissan 300zx non turbo. I've basically rebuilt the car and I love it even if it is slow lol.

Here's the bike!

View attachment 40891
View attachment 40892
View attachment 40893
View attachment 40894
View attachment 40895

I bought the bike for a few reasons. I always wanted one. I love driving and it's 10x better on 2 wheels and in the wind. My brother and dad both have bikes and I've been on a few short rides with them now - so much fun. Lastly to be honest it's going to be used for some commuting also. I've already tasted the gas savings - 17mpg in the z was getting old!

Oh does anyone know what's going on with the front end of this bike? It's different and I haven't seen any other fz6s on here like that.

Anyways feel free to comment, bash on the rice burner, or the beat up Yamaha, I have thick skin lol

On a serious note, I'm glad I can be a part of the forum here, you guys seem to be very knowledgeable and friendly. Hopefully I will learn a lot and maybe contribute whenever I can!

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys just thought I'd post something up here. I've been lurking the classifieds lately so here's a little introduction.

My name is Ethan Biggs. I'll be 21 in 4 days. I work as a mechanic at Hendrick BMW here in Charlotte. A friend of mine bought himself a new Nightster so I picked up his 05 FZ6 for $1,000. It's been dropped twice and has some damage to the tank and rear handles that need some attention. But it's my first bike, and it runs wonderfully! I plan on doing some maintenance - got a hard copy I the factory service manual from him with the bike. Just over 17k miles.

Here's a picture of my baby number 1:

View attachment 40889

That's a 1990 Nissan 300zx non turbo. I've basically rebuilt the car and I love it even if it is slow lol.

Here's the bike!

View attachment 40891
View attachment 40892
View attachment 40893
View attachment 40894
View attachment 40895

I bought the bike for a few reasons. I always wanted one. I love driving and it's 10x better on 2 wheels and in the wind. My brother and dad both have bikes and I've been on a few short rides with them now - so much fun. Lastly to be honest it's going to be used for some commuting also. I've already tasted the gas savings - 17mpg in the z was getting old!

Oh does anyone know what's going on with the front end of this bike? It's different and I haven't seen any other fz6s on here like that.

Anyways feel free to comment, bash on the rice burner, or the beat up Yamaha, I have thick skin lol

On a serious note, I'm glad I can be a part of the forum here, you guys seem to be very knowledgeable and friendly. Hopefully I will learn a lot and maybe contribute whenever I can!
Welcome to the site,
front end looks like mine, also 2005.

Cheers
Nelly

CBRF3RIDER

Reaction score
Visit site
Looks like the PO put a VS1 or VS2 headlight in there (I'm not sure the difference). Also looks like an older engine with a newer frame and old subframe? Maybe he just painted the silver frame? Usually the engine, frame, and swing arm are the same color (except for one of the euro versions). Looks good though!

EDIT: just noticed that it doesn't have turn signals. Do you know if the wiring is still there for them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Looking at the bike, at first glance it looks good but it was probably wrecked real bad or a stolen bike and put back together, but as long as you have a title in hand and it rides straight I wouldn't worry to much about it. And by the way Welcome!!!

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome, The 04 and 05's had silver engines, frames and swingarms. Some paint the frame and engine which looks like what was done but it could be a newer frame. I put an black 07 swingarm on my 04 and like the black cause it matches the hugger. You will find there are many very helpful folks here who can give advice on almost anything. A great resource.

Attached is a BMW photo I took last year - the car is before your time but one of my favorites.
View attachment 40899

Edit: The car is a BMW 3.0CSL from the early to mid 70's.

Last edited:

es.biggs

Reaction score
Visit site
It was wrecked badly he was t-boned. He did get a newer frame and swap things over. I know it's not stolen though :)

Wiring for the signals is there. I'm debating getting an integrated brake light or separate signals in the back. Probably going to just get all stock stuff. For now at least. I think I might also get some bar end mirrors. Need to get this safety stuff soon for sure. He put a handlebar from another Yamaha on it - not sure what bike

Edit- that car is amazing. Looks like a heavily modified E30 M3?

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know why anyone would only paint the frame halves, to me it looks like it had the frame replaced with a newer black one, and seeing the big dent on the left side of the tank makes me lean more toward wreck and cracked frame.

Edit- well that explains it then, I was just throwing the stolen thing out there, the more I dug into my bike the more I began to believe it was stolen, but I have the title and it's mine now!!!

Last edited:

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome, The 04 and 05's had silver engines, frames and swingarms. Some paint the frame and engine which looks like what was done but it could be a newer frame. I put an black 07 swingarm on my 04 and like the black cause it matches the hugger. You will find there are many very helpful folks here who can give advice on almost anything. A great resource.

Attached is a BMW photo I took last year - the car is before your time but one of my favorites.
View attachment 40899

Is that a 2002? A friend of mine had one.

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm no expert but it is a CSL 3.0 which was (I think) based on the 2002 but had a 3 liter engine. It was the first racing BMW to have the BMW motorsports color scheme. Hans Stuck drove one and it is a very famous race car of the 70's. E9 platform I think. That particular car is owned by BMW North America. Car was fast and made great noises and was fast considering it is almost 40 years old.

Last edited:

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: Ethan from sunny Western Australia

Just remember, we're the friendliest forum on the web, we love pics and you have to post often :D

fazed_ya

Reaction score
Visit site
Ethan what's up buddy welcome to the forum and Congrats on the bike. I live in Concord. So if ya ever wanna get up and ride let me know! !

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: to the best forum on the WWW!! :BLAA:

My Dad used to live in Concord :D

Full Throttle

Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome! Charlotte is a great city. My Fiance and I are considering moving to a town about 30 min South East. You may have a new riding buddy...

Full Throttle

Reaction score
Visit site
Waxhaw, NC. We are still thinking it over (all of her family is here and see them almost every day and I don't mind being a call away from my family). The other thing I am thinking about is selling the bike so we have more cash to play with when buying stuff for the house. Plus the bike likes to be an instigator