First Accident (and hopefully only)

MG-242

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to hear about your spill, Fazer'd. And I hope you heal quickly and still have time to get a little riding in before the end of the season.

Give some thought to what and how it happened. I imagine you already have. Is there something that you could have done to prevent it? Maybe where you were looking or how you reacted? Was your lane position such that you may have been able to see the gravel earlier and had more time to react and adjust? Just a few things to think about. I've been on the ground a few times myself and I always try to use it as a learning experience.... an expensive learning experience sometimes, but a learning experience no less.

We're thinking about ya and can't wait to hear you're back in the saddle again!

kreed0501

Reaction score
Visit site
Youch! Glad the damage wasn't any worse! Thanks for sharing! It gives the rest of us a chance to evaluate our gear to what damage WE would have had/not have had in a similar off! Wishing you a quick recovery!

Kevin

Fazer'd

Reaction score
Visit site
I've definitely thought about it. Over and over again. I took the turn wide, but not too wide, just staying more upright, being extra cautious. My speed was good, not too fast at all, going 25 or so. The turn was nice and wide so I could have gone a lot faster. I looked ahead and through the turn, checking the road condition as I went. SEE: Search Evaluate Execute. I gravel was almost the same color as the pavement and didn't see it until I was already on top of it. When you look at the picture you can barely see the gravel but you can see my tire track clearly as I went through it.

In a way I wish I had been going faster or not paying attention or something. Doing something clearly wrong so I would know going down was completely my fault. I may be wrong but it feels like being too cautious actually caused my accident which seems a bit ridiculous to me.

I don't know what I could have done better but if anyone wants to chime in with ideas, thoughts, or suggestions I'm listening.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks everyone! I need to consider better lower body protection. My biggest problem is if it's not comfortable or I'm too hot it's less likely I'll wear it. Fortunately I had everything bit of protection I own on this time. It also wasn't hot that day too though.

I rather sweat than bleed.

Gear is expensive, no doubt about it. And the quality of gear makes a difference. I just evaluated what my gear is worth that I put on today, it varies but this is what I had on today.

Shoei Qwest with Graphics and blue tinted visor $650
Motoport Kevlar Gloves $200
Motoport Kevlar Mesh Pants with Quad Armor $750
Yamaha Leather Jacket $400
BMW Sport Dry Boots $350

But again, the last time I bought new tennis shoes was 2006. Pretty much socks and underwear is all I buy, very little new clothes except for may a couple of new jeans and shirts each year. All my money goes to gear.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I rather sweat than bleed.

Gear is expensive, no doubt about it. And the quality of gear makes a difference. I just evaluated what my gear is worth that I put on today, it varies but this is what I had on today.

Shoei Qwest with Graphics and blue tinted visor $650
Motoport Kevlar Gloves $200
Motoport Kevlar Mesh Pants with Quad Armor $750
Yamaha Leather Jacket $400
BMW Sport Dry Boots $350

But again, the last time I bought new tennis shoes was 2006. Pretty much socks and underwear is all I buy, very little new clothes except for may a couple of new jeans and shirts each year. All my money goes to gear.

LOL! I'm like Kenny. I spend my dollars on gear and hardly anything on clothes. I wear old stuff. Some of my shirts are like 15 years old! If my neighbors see me in other than a T shirt and jeans they ask, "What's the special occasion?"

I've got Kevlar pants(Not Jeans) Kevlar gloves, Various leather pants and jacket.Oh yeah, riding boots.

Last edited:

Cece

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow, glad you're ok! Good thinking taking those pictures. It can really help tell a story and to understand the situation.

I've gotten leather pants from Cycle Gear for a very affordable price and found them to be comfortable. For warmer weather riding, they also have nice cool compression shirt/pants that really works.

AngelFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm sorry to read about this, the good thing is the outcome could have been much worse.

Heal up soon,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Circuitrider

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the post, hope things are healing up for you and your bike situation works out. Also, thanks for the pics, I just showed my wife and said, "and this is why I would like to not have to use my hiking boots on the motorcycle." So thanks to your post, when I'm back from work next week, I'm headed to the motorcycle superstore outlet mall in Louisville. :rockon:

And you've got me thinking bout curves and gravel.

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I start with the disclaimer.....

It is really easy to prevent the situation AFTER it happened, and so I don't want to come off as a know-it-all....

The gravel in the picture seems to be at the far left extreme of the right turn, which is where you would expect it. it gets pushed there by the cages as they make their turn and is typically to the outside of the outside tire track. It looks like you were taking the turn really wide to the left and dug right in. When I ride (especially after heavy rains that tend to redistribute the debris) I try to stay in lane position 1 (the left tire track of the cages) and I keep an eye out for accumulations to the outside of the turns.

So my suggestions are to gear up your lower body (something I need to do better as well) and remember that gravel and debris tend to accumulate where the cages DON'T drive. So while there are risks to taking a turn too tight, there is also a risk in taking a turn too wide.

Heal up quick and remember that any landing you walk away from is a good landing...and a learning experience.

Good luck

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sad part is that my gear is worth more than the bike in terms of dollars.

About the gravel, you are one of many riders who have experienced the unfortunate incidents that are associated with poor surface conditions.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I start with the disclaimer.....

It is really easy to prevent the situation AFTER it happened, and so I don't want to come off as a know-it-all....

The gravel in the picture seems to be at the far left extreme of the right turn, which is where you would expect it. it gets pushed there by the cages as they make their turn and is typically to the outside of the outside tire track. It looks like you were taking the turn really wide to the left and dug right in. When I ride (especially after heavy rains that tend to redistribute the debris) I try to stay in lane position 1 (the left tire track of the cages) and I keep an eye out for accumulations to the outside of the turns.

So my suggestions are to gear up your lower body (something I need to do better as well) and remember that gravel and debris tend to accumulate where the cages DON'T drive. So while there are risks to taking a turn too tight, there is also a risk in taking a turn too wide.

Heal up quick and remember that any landing you walk away from is a good landing...and a learning experience.

Good luck

Agreed - maybe its the picture, but it "looks" as if gravel or no gravel, your line is into that barrier and its not going to go well.

Maybe this is just me, but I feel very vulnerable without all of my gear. On rare occasions I warm or dry the chain on 5 mile loop with jacket, helmet, gloves. The thing is, I feel naked and far less comfortable without full COW and boots! My hope is that if I do go down, its just bruise and broken bones and NOT 3rd degree road rash as I have all my gear on 98% of the time.

Hope you recover completely from this.

Fazer'd

Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you everyone for your advice and replies, I'm checking the post regularly and assimilating the info.

I got the bike home today. Hopefully I'll have a better idea whats going to happen Tuesday wen the insurance adjuster takes a look at it.

I'm already itching to ride again, wicked bad.