Finally...Sidecases for my FZ6!

nksmfamjp

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I finally broke down and ordered some side cases for my FZ6. I ordered the Givi E41 Matte Black to go with my black 09 FZ6. this is the first step in making a super commuter/light touring FZ6.

I ordered from Competition Accessories over the phone. By phone, they can get you set up with racks also for a good price and free shipping. *I can't wait!

I looked at Shad and other Givi cases, but I want to be able to squeeze a couple sacks of groceries in. 360's seemed like a good deal also. Shad was 3rd choice, but have a much lower weight rating. I didn't like that because they look super. V35's were also considered, but seem too small for commuting. *I.e a helmet won't fit inside.

What to do with my pool cue??

Next, I need to explore lighting/ turn signal solutions. I'n thinking integrated taillight and LED lighting for brake, park and turn on the cases. Anyone done this really well? *Pics up in a few weeks when I get the on!

yoshiki

Reaction score
Visit site
actually the v35 was able to put my flip up caberg rhyno helmet. i guess it also depends on the shell size of the helmet you are using. the spring of the latch expanded a little just to lock the box with the helmet, long term wise definitely not really good.

i sling my pool cue case on my back. i dont see other options. unless you secure part of the cue case at the pillion seat, leaving the rest of your cue case resting on your thigh.

wolfe1down

Go hard or go home!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a set of Givi e41's. Awesome case. My only issue is the combo lock part of the secondary access lid is a little weak. And despite meticulously following the directions in the manual it wouldn't accept my attempts to change the combo number. I was eventually able to do this, but it took some buggering around.

Also, I don't know if you have a top case yet or not, but you can't buy matching lock cylinders after the fact. You'll have to buy a 3 cylinder kit, and swap all you locks out if you want them to have the same key... :(

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i honestly would love a set of e41's, but they cant double as a cooler like my e21's can.. wish someone would have a 30-40 L side case similar to the e21's.. pic for reference:

IMG_0999.jpg

Popeye70

Reaction score
Visit site

wolfe1down

Go hard or go home!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i honestly would love a set of e41's, but they cant double as a cooler like my e21's can.. wish someone would have a 30-40 L side case similar to the e21's...

Actually, the e41's can double as a cooler. They have a clam-shell opening like many of the other cases, but also a panel on the top opens via a combo lock, and is wide enough to pull a can or bottle of beer from... :D

Last edited:

nksmfamjp

Reaction score
Visit site
I got the side cases on today. Pictures to follow.

On another thread, I asked how long?? It took me about 3 hours of work, the best I can estimate. It wasn't too bad, but the heat slowed me down. Besides, I wasn't in a race.

THE GOOD:
The cases did go on and getting side cases on a variety of bike for a semi-reasonable price is a feat.

The rack does a good job of isolating any binding in the assembly and keeping it from messing up the quick connection of the bags. more later. . .

The cases are really nice looking. They function well and should provide good service life. They also have a nice water seal.

One thing which was questionable before I mail ordered them was can I carry them??? There is a good hidden handle shape.

THE BAD:
Rack assembly is poorly designed in many places. First, would it be too much to include top quality not scratching coating, or do a shipping test and improve packaging until they aren't all scratched to bare metal, etc??

The PLX351 mount is ok after install, I think. I need to drive around and be sure it doesn't squeak or rattle.

PLX351 - The upper frame insert system is such a soft joint, I would guess I will be retightening. This is due to installing into the frame. Frankly I should have applied locktite here. I will do this when I get time to get in there again. This is pretty poor design. I'm sure many are loose on peoples bikes. . .

PLX351 - In addition, the frame insert binds hard with the muffler cover. This is a GIVI design problem. I think many folks would crossthread the muffler cover bolt. I did not, but close. Will it squeak or rattle? GIVI, could you have told us to grind the muffler cover to fit?? If it makes noise, I will.

PLX351 - The lower tightening point binds vertically. This is sort of ok, but not really. I mean really, I have to push up to align the bolt? Also, the tightening line is an interference to the muffler cover, but the scratch is basically invisible. Maybe mine was worst case tolerance. . . .probably not. At least this bolt can be tightened.

PLX360 - Wow, are those turn signals hard to disassemble(not Givi's issue) . . .and double wow, they are twice as hard to assemble to the relocation bracket. Maybe the spacer could be tack welded to the brkt?? If I get it, boy will it be solid. Nope. It is so flimsy they vibrate all over. Oh well, they work for now.

- Wires?? Yes, the turn signals have wires. Givi shows routing in a way that does not reach the coupler. . .Does givi make a jumper? NO. Now, if you drill through the black fender, you can make the OEM wires work. I did that and this routing is OK. Other than that fine.

PL360 - Mounting to the RR Foot Peg was OK. It does bind on the end of the slot, but it went on. Maybe the slot could be longer??

PL360 - Crossbar. The crossbar had junk in a nut causing it to be hard to tighten.

Instructions - For the price, it would be nice to see step by step instructions. These could be made cheaply.

Overall, GIVI would like us to believe that these things are related to bike to bike variation. It probably is not. It is most likely related to them designing without taking enough CMM data or partnering with Yamaha and getting surface data to design with. Of course, this all costs money. Since the bag/frame set is over $700MSRP, I think they have some money to develop this kit.

I will get pics up later.

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Actually, the e41's can double as a cooler. They have a clam-shell opening like many of the other cases, but also a panel on the top opens via a combo lock, and is wide enough to pull a can or bottle of beer from... :D

yea but as the ice melts, the water would flow out from the case..

Jesto

Reaction score
Visit site

Pseudo-Fed

Reaction score
Visit site
I got the side cases on today. Pictures to follow.

On another thread, I asked how long?? It took me about 3 hours of work, the best I can estimate. It wasn't too bad, but the heat slowed me down. Besides, I wasn't in a race.

THE GOOD:
The cases did go on and getting side cases on a variety of bike for a semi-reasonable price is a feat.

The rack does a good job of isolating any binding in the assembly and keeping it from messing up the quick connection of the bags. more later. . .

The cases are really nice looking. They function well and should provide good service life. They also have a nice water seal.

One thing which was questionable before I mail ordered them was can I carry them??? There is a good hidden handle shape.

THE BAD:
Rack assembly is poorly designed in many places. First, would it be too much to include top quality not scratching coating, or do a shipping test and improve packaging until they aren't all scratched to bare metal, etc??

The PLX351 mount is ok after install, I think. I need to drive around and be sure it doesn't squeak or rattle.

PLX351 - The upper frame insert system is such a soft joint, I would guess I will be retightening. This is due to installing into the frame. Frankly I should have applied locktite here. I will do this when I get time to get in there again. This is pretty poor design. I'm sure many are loose on peoples bikes. . .

PLX351 - In addition, the frame insert binds hard with the muffler cover. This is a GIVI design problem. I think many folks would crossthread the muffler cover bolt. I did not, but close. Will it squeak or rattle? GIVI, could you have told us to grind the muffler cover to fit?? If it makes noise, I will.

PLX351 - The lower tightening point binds vertically. This is sort of ok, but not really. I mean really, I have to push up to align the bolt? Also, the tightening line is an interference to the muffler cover, but the scratch is basically invisible. Maybe mine was worst case tolerance. . . .probably not. At least this bolt can be tightened.

PLX360 - Wow, are those turn signals hard to disassemble(not Givi's issue) . . .and double wow, they are twice as hard to assemble to the relocation bracket. Maybe the spacer could be tack welded to the brkt?? If I get it, boy will it be solid. Nope. It is so flimsy they vibrate all over. Oh well, they work for now.

- Wires?? Yes, the turn signals have wires. Givi shows routing in a way that does not reach the coupler. . .Does givi make a jumper? NO. Now, if you drill through the black fender, you can make the OEM wires work. I did that and this routing is OK. Other than that fine.

PL360 - Mounting to the RR Foot Peg was OK. It does bind on the end of the slot, but it went on. Maybe the slot could be longer??

PL360 - Crossbar. The crossbar had junk in a nut causing it to be hard to tighten.

Instructions - For the price, it would be nice to see step by step instructions. These could be made cheaply.

Overall, GIVI would like us to believe that these things are related to bike to bike variation. It probably is not. It is most likely related to them designing without taking enough CMM data or partnering with Yamaha and getting surface data to design with. Of course, this all costs money. Since the bag/frame set is over $700MSRP, I think they have some money to develop this kit.

I will get pics up later.

Pics please!