Finally ready for riding season!

slandis

Reaction score
Visit site
Alright, after working off and on all winter and most of this really crappy rain-filled spring, I'm 90% done with my conversion. All that's left is a disassembly for paint whenever I'm not riding for a while (ha!).

IMG_0736.jpg

IMG_0737.jpg

IMG_0738.jpg

08 R6 Forks/Triple/Fender/Speedo, R6 Master Cylinder/Calipers, Rizoma reservoir, FZ1N Headlight, Venhill braided lines, Ninja ZX10 Clutch Perch, Custom throttle cable assemblies/clutch cable.

MitchellsFZ6

Truly obsessed with bikes
Reaction score
Visit site
They look smart!
Oh I wanna do the same to mine, now I've finally got the cash to do so

Is yours a 2008 FZ6?
Also, what did you have to do to get the forks on and in solidly? Dont you have to buy some spacers for the top yoke?

MitchellsFZ6

sparkycrew

Reaction score
Visit site
that looks a nice job,i hate to see **** work and half arsed bodges,that said it looks from the photos to be a real nice bike,how does it ride?i hope its as good as it looks
well done it looks a cool bike with all your carefully selected mods
nick

some nice rearsets would finish it off,gets rid of the cheapy looking stock stuff,i hated the look of the standard foot rests,my gilles look and feel amazing,in black or gold on yours would really suit it,they will add class to mach the forks

Last edited:

sparkycrew

Reaction score
Visit site
Lookin' good mate , lookin' real gooood :thumbup:

Have no idea what a riding season is though... In Oz we ride all year round :BLAA:

dont ever come to the uk mate,if you care for your bike it end ups sitting in the garage for sixs months of the year,they spread salt on the road in winter here and it rots everything,then if we eventually get a hot summer they spread more salt to stop the tarmac melting,oh and its the third wettest country in the world i read somwhere,oh yeah six months of sh!t weather then winter starts :(

Nolift911

Reaction score
Visit site
Can you give some more details on these mods...this is exactly what I would like to do on my bike...

Got a how to? and where you sourced the parts?

slandis

Reaction score
Visit site
Can you give some more details on these mods...this is exactly what I would like to do on my bike...

Got a how to? and where you sourced the parts?

Life being life, I haven't been around in a while. Sorry to take so long to answer...

Source is almost always eBay. As far as a howto, it's relatively simple.

You'll need 2005+ R6R running gear (shocks, top and bottom clamps with steering tube, calipers, rotors and fender), two All Balls Racing bearings (top 99-3540-5, bottom 99-3538), either risers for handlebars, or clip-ons (I would strongly recommend Apex riser clip-ons, 3" or 4" version, 50mm). You can also purchase an R6R front wheel, or use your FZ6 stocker; it's the same wheel.

1. Remove stock FZ6 running gear, all the way to a bare head tube
2. Remove stock bearing races (I used a deadblow and a piece of aluminum pipe to "press" out the races.)
3. Install new All Balls bearing races (again using deadblow and aluminum pipe, being careful to tap them in evenly.)
4. Remove old bottom bearing race from R6R steering tube (methods vary.)
5. Install new All Balls bearing onto R6R steering tube (deadblow and pipe again.)
6. Mount upper and lower triple through the head tube using R6R triple nut and washer
7. Insert R6R fork tubes into clamps
8. Remove FZ6 rotors from wheel (if re-using FZ6 wheel.)
9. Install R6R rotors onto wheel (I purchased new stainless shoulder bolts from amazon.com)
10. Remount wheel, calipers and fenders
11. Figure out a brake line solution

Remember that you don't NEED to buy a new axle, spacers or wheel. These items from the FZ6 will fit the R6R setup. Also optional, though recommended, is the R6R master cylinder (radial.)

Mounting options for naked headlights is almost nil with this setup. I had to have custom brackets made for my FZ1 headlight. I'm running CBR1000RR HeliBars, but they are way too low to be comfortable for much other than my short commute. They look badass though. Also to be considered, mounting your speedo cluster; mine mounts with the FZ1 bracket, others will be a chore. Depending on which bars you choose, you might need to look into custom length clutch/throttle cables. I used the R6R throttle assembly and made my own brass cable ends (modified to use setscrews, from solder-on type) on cables I cut myself.

lrojasma

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi how are you?

I have a few questions.

1 What method did you use for your clip ons? Over the clamp or under like R6?
2 What did you do with the metallics stops at the lower clamp?
3 Why is needed the all ball bearings? you just can´t use the R6 bearings?
4 Could you use the stock R6 lower triple clamp without modding it? i mean without remover the center post and things like that?
5 The top clamp Works without any modification? the ignition switch doesnt touch the front of the FZ6 frame?

Thanks.

Last edited:

cmteCyro

cmteCyro
Reaction score
Visit site
Hello! How are you going?
Beautiful bike!! I have one 2008, and I'd like to change the front suspension like you, but here in Brazil it's expensive a lot, I don't have how to get parts, etc.
Did you use R6 front arms?

lrojasma

Reaction score
Visit site
Life being life, I haven't been around in a while. Sorry to take so long to answer...

Source is almost always eBay. As far as a howto, it's relatively simple.

You'll need 2005+ R6R running gear (shocks, top and bottom clamps with steering tube, calipers, rotors and fender), two All Balls Racing bearings (top 99-3540-5, bottom 99-3538), either risers for handlebars, or clip-ons (I would strongly recommend Apex riser clip-ons, 3" or 4" version, 50mm). You can also purchase an R6R front wheel, or use your FZ6 stocker; it's the same wheel.

1. Remove stock FZ6 running gear, all the way to a bare head tube
2. Remove stock bearing races (I used a deadblow and a piece of aluminum pipe to "press" out the races.)
3. Install new All Balls bearing races (again using deadblow and aluminum pipe, being careful to tap them in evenly.)
4. Remove old bottom bearing race from R6R steering tube (methods vary.)
5. Install new All Balls bearing onto R6R steering tube (deadblow and pipe again.)
6. Mount upper and lower triple through the head tube using R6R triple nut and washer
7. Insert R6R fork tubes into clamps
8. Remove FZ6 rotors from wheel (if re-using FZ6 wheel.)
9. Install R6R rotors onto wheel (I purchased new stainless shoulder bolts from amazon.com)
10. Remount wheel, calipers and fenders
11. Figure out a brake line solution

Remember that you don't NEED to buy a new axle, spacers or wheel. These items from the FZ6 will fit the R6R setup. Also optional, though recommended, is the R6R master cylinder (radial.)

Mounting options for naked headlights is almost nil with this setup. I had to have custom brackets made for my FZ1 headlight. I'm running CBR1000RR HeliBars, but they are way too low to be comfortable for much other than my short commute. They look badass though. Also to be considered, mounting your speedo cluster; mine mounts with the FZ1 bracket, others will be a chore. Depending on which bars you choose, you might need to look into custom length clutch/throttle cables. I used the R6R throttle assembly and made my own brass cable ends (modified to use setscrews, from solder-on type) on cables I cut myself.

Hi how are you?

I have a few questions.

1 What method did you use for your clip ons? Over the clamp or under like R6?
2 What did you do with the metallics stops at the lower clamp?
3 Why is needed the all ball bearings? you just can´t use the R6 bearings?
4 Could you use the stock R6 lower triple clamp without modding it? i mean without remover the center post and things like that?
5 The top clamp Works without any modification? the ignition switch doesnt touch the front of the FZ6 frame?

Thanks.