Finally going naked!

mrtrees

Just a Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey everyone!

I'm finally going naked! Broke my front fairing so it's the perfect chance for me to make my dreams come true.

I have a 2006 Red FZ6. I've been looking around for a while and this is the biggest thing I've done to my baby ever so I'm a little nervous.

Anyways I like the look of the FZ1N headlight projects I've seen around the site, especially tom5796's project! Looks awesome!

However I'm concerned that that headlight might not fit my 06. Any comments or advise from anyone concerning this issue and/or any better alternatives for a sweet headlight assembly for mine if I can't get the FZ1N on there.

Any help would be great! Thanks!!

ShadowChillaGin

Reaction score
Visit site

Davey

Reaction score
Visit site
Cool, I've been thinking about going naked too but just don't have the money for the mods right now!

Wavex has done some awesome write ups and tips about going naked I think. Do a search. There's vids and everything!

bushboarder

moved on up
Reaction score
Visit site
Too bad for the break...Grats on going naked however!

I am also going naked! Going to pull the trigger on this BLK STREETFIGHTER STUNT HEADLIGHT GSXR BANDIT w/BRACKET: eBay Motors (item 280516532418 end time Jul-04-10 00:23:30 PDT) and this 43mm BIKE FORK TUBE HEADLIGHT BRACKETS BRACKET SET KIT: eBay Motors (item 110547387127 end time Jul-14-10 23:03:34 PDT) tomorrow ....now to figure out how to attatch the speedo...gotta do some diggin
Better read this first. Looks like the same clamp. Not sure it will work.
http://www.600riders.com/forum/bikes-parts-sale/21140-fork-clamps.html

sublime0713

Gun nut
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the club! (soon, anyway). +1 on the clamps. There are some great choices and some not so great ones. Definitely search around as there have been several great threads on this. The speedo mount was definitely the most challenging part. Good luck!

Geoff

The Tall Guy!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
There is plenty of information on the forum on how to do so. If you ever need help let me know :) I have a total write up on how to go about doing it :) Just click "Click Here for Mods" on my signature.

congrats

mrtrees

Just a Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks everyone!

So I've been scouring the Forum and I've been finding different answers for my main concern at this point. Can I get the FZ1N headlight on my 06 FZ6 or is that a no go? Everyone on the site that have done it has had an 07 or newer. I've found a thread or two that make it seem that it won't work on an 06 but not totally confirmed.

Any info would be great! Thanks again guys!!

dturpen

Gamer/Bike Enthusiast
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks everyone!

So I've been scouring the Forum and I've been finding different answers for my main concern at this point. Can I get the FZ1N headlight on my 06 FZ6 or is that a no go? Everyone on the site that have done it has had an 07 or newer. I've found a thread or two that make it seem that it won't work on an 06 but not totally confirmed.

Any info would be great! Thanks again guys!!

You can do the conversion and everything will work, but the reason everyone else did it to their 07 and newer is because of the new speedometer that comes with the 07-09s. The 06 FZ6 speedometer is a circle and the newer one is not. If you had an 07 or newer, Yamaha makes a speedo cover that goes on the back of the speedometer and flows really nicely with the shape of the FZ1N headlight.

If you had the cover and the new speedo it would look like this...

FZ1Nheadlight.jpg

Whereas, if you used the older speedometer it wouldn't match the lines of the headlight, so it wouldn't look nearly as good. The conversion isn't impossible, it just looks MUCH better if you have the newer speedometer.

mrtrees

Just a Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Shoot you're right. If I get my hands on an 07 speedo can I rig that one on my 06? Otherwise what is a good lookin headlight assy I can use with my round one ?

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
the 06 round spreedo looks just fine on all 04-06 FZ6N's....i would not stress that much about it not matching the headlight!

:thumbup:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The round speedo on the 04-06 FZ6, looks just fine on all the 04-06 FZ6N's...i would not stress about the "look" too much.

:thumbup:

dturpen

Gamer/Bike Enthusiast
Reaction score
Visit site
Shoot you're right. If I get my hands on an 07 speedo can I rig that one on my 06?

Yes, if you could find an 07 cluster/speedometer you could connect it to your 06 and it would work, and there have been a few people on this forum that have done that. I haven't done the conversion personally, so I can't say how difficult it would be. Obviously, if you switched your speedometer for the 07+ speedo, your mileage would be wrong, so you'd have to remember what the original mileage was.

Otherwise what is a good lookin headlight assy I can use with my round one ?

You could go with the Buell setup like what I have! It's actually cheaper than the FZ1N headlight, too.

Here's my writeup on how I did my Buell conversion.

It's all your personal preference, though. And as Wolfman pointed, there are people who have the older speedo who have an FZ6N and it looks just fine.