Fender Eliminator -Good/Bad idea?

BBW

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all,

Just picked my new '09 last week. Now it's sitting in the garage and since I can't ride yet I may as well fiddle with it.

I want to get a fender eliminator for the look. That big black plastic thing that hangs like a nose from the tailpipes just looks ugly. But I'm wondering if anyone can comment on whether getting rid of it makes things unpleasant for a passenger in the rain -if they (or my tail bag for that matter) would get a big wet stripe up their back?

Or is the shape of the seat/tailpipe section enough to bascially protect them as well as the fender would?

Thanks,

Ben

mlevins77

Needs beer
Reaction score
Visit site
I've never had a passenger complain about the FE...or get a stripe up their back...but that might be simply because I don't ride in the rain. I've had my bags on and gone through some wet roads, but don't recall any dirt kicked up by not having the big ugly fender.

Don't know if FAZR6 is still making his kit...but it's perfect. It uses the stock lights and slips right in. We'll see how perfect it is when I put on my new cans, but that's another story.

afpreppie04

The Thread Killer
Reaction score
Visit site
A fender eliminator was the very first thing I did to the FZ (even before frame sliders:ban:). I have never had a problem with pillions or luggage getting wet due to it. If you also take off the hugger it might be a problem but with just the FE it should be fine. Now if you are going in reverse very quickly they might get something on them.:BLAA:

nextfriday

Reaction score
Visit site
the oe fender is not going to keep bags or a passenger from getting wet. if anything, it'll promote the circulation of water spray underneath the tail of your bike. What will help to keep spray at bay is the rear hugger.

BBW

Reaction score
Visit site
Cool, thanks. 'cause I totally want to get one, just for the look.

Now to figure out which one . . .

I'd love to have one that hides the license plate up inside, though I suppose I should have a light on it. And I'm a sucker for little turn signals.

Any suggestions on who makes a good one that's not too hard to install?

Ben

06fiz600

Reaction score
Visit site
FAZ6R's kit!
not sure if it's still on ebay though. I got mine last fall.
Its around 30-40 USD, but thicker, more durable than other ebay ones.
:thumbup:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've had a very different experience from everybody else, apparently.

I found stock fender did a fantastic job of blocking the water and dirt from flying up.

Now that I have FAZR6 eliminator, my plate/signals/tail light and rear part of the seat get totally encrusted in dirt when riding in the wet. Wish I had taken a picture before I washed the bike.

I do love how the bike looks with eliminator and in general I don't make a habit of riding in the rain, so I'm planning to leave mine on.

This is definitely a case of form winning over function, in my opinion.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
FAZ6R's kit!
not sure if it's still on ebay though. I got mine last fall.
Its around 30-40 USD, but thicker, more durable than other ebay ones.
:thumbup:

Agree that this is the best kit. It's very solid and uses stock signals and plate light.

Larry (the maker and the only one you can get these from) doesn't currently list any for sale. He keeps changing the price too.. sometimes it's 45 and sometimes it's 59.

3679larry items - Get great deals on items on eBay.com!

afpreppie04

The Thread Killer
Reaction score
Visit site

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
I love mine.
2011-02-01163406.jpg

2004 2009 FZ 6 FZ6 Fender Eliminator BLUE logo TSM - eBay (item 350433490777 end time Jan-26-11 15:44:47 PST)

Even though that's a blue one, the seller will do just about any color you want at the same price. And he's a pleasure to work with. If he sold more than FE kits, I'd buy more from him.

I can't wait to get that FZ6 logo backlit...

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

afpreppie04

The Thread Killer
Reaction score
Visit site
That actually looks like it'll do a better job of keeping some of the water and dirt off the back of the bike, since it sits farther back and pushes the plate further down than FAZR6 eliminator.
Got a pic from the side? Where did you get the plate light?

I originally had one of those ones before I changed to my current one since I wanted the plate tucked up a little higher. I used one of [ame="http://www.amazon.com/License-Plate-Bolt-Lights-Motorcycles/dp/B001QZ3MQC"]these[/ame] to light my plate. I think I actually have that fender eliminator sitting in the garage somewhere. If someone wants it they can have it for the cost of shipping.

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
Got the plate light from the same guy that sells the FE kit. I don't have a good one fromn the side. Hold on a few minutes and I'll get one for you.

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
Yep. You can adjust the angle of this one any way you want. He designed it so that where i have it is the default angle, but left it open so you can really angle it almost 180. It's only about 2-3 inches shorter than the stock shovel, but it looks loads better IMHO.

06fiz600

Reaction score
Visit site
+1
I actually found that it flings up dirt alot more compared to stock. I don't ride in the rain, but on somewhat wet roads, the whole rear end up to the seat is filthy, after I'm done riding. It does look much better though.

I've had a very different experience from everybody else, apparently.

I found stock fender did a fantastic job of blocking the water and dirt from flying up.

Now that I have FAZR6 eliminator, my plate/signals/tail light and rear part of the seat get totally encrusted in dirt when riding in the wet. Wish I had taken a picture before I washed the bike.

I do love how the bike looks with eliminator and in general I don't make a habit of riding in the rain, so I'm planning to leave mine on.

This is definitely a case of form winning over function, in my opinion.