Feels different when I lean to the right than to the left, why?

Corsara

Reaction score
Visit site
I just came back from a pretty long ride with my buddy (about 200km). Being a new rider and all, I'm not quite familiar yet with some of the stuff, so please don't flame up on this..

Let's say I'm going at 40-50 mph or so, and there's a right curve ahead of me. I push with my right hand, lean the bike, and while into the curve, I keep pushing with the right hand, or should I say---I feel resistance, so I apply a bit pressure so that the bike doesn't stand up (I apply some throttle at the same time). I feel in total control, I feel like I can even let go of the left hand and do all the stuff with my right hand.

However, in the same situation but doing a left turn, I feel like I don't at all need to push with the left hand. Somehow the bike leans, and while I have it leaned, I don't feel any kind of resistance or anything on the left hand. In a matter of fact, I feel like I can let go... if all things were the same, I should be experiencing that same pressure on the left hand now, and just keep the right hand for a bit of throttle... Consequently, I don't feel in control doing left turn.

I'm puzzled. Is this something common that novice riders experience?! Why does it feel different, what am I doing wrong? Is it technique, or it could be some misalignment on the bike?!

Goop

Chips & Dip
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Are you right handed? I am and right always feels more comfy to me. I'm geting more at home when leaning to the left these days. Just gotta get over the "hump".

basejumpyeah

Reaction score
Visit site
First question: are you hanging off the bike, or not?

You don't want to be applying hardly ANY pressure on the handlebars. They are not there to support your weight. You should be clenching the gas tank with your legs, and that is how you support yourself. That is why there are big grooves of sorts there.

If you were not already doing that, go out and try it, and try to judge again if there is any difference in how much resistance there is on turns. I know for me when I started out riding, I had all my weight on the bars, and right turns felt alot different than left. Because, I think, I put more weight on the throttle hand. You might be doing the same?

Edit: And I forgot to add, If you ARE hanging off, it could be as easy as a difference in body position.

Corsara

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, I'm right handed..hmm

First question: are you hanging off the bike, or not?

You don't want to be applying hardly ANY pressure on the handlebars. They are not there to support your weight. You should be clenching the gas tank with your legs, and that is how you support yourself. That is why there are big grooves of sorts there.

If you were not already doing that, go out and try it, and try to judge again if there is any difference in how much resistance there is on turns. I know for me when I started out riding, I had all my weight on the bars, and right turns felt alot different than left. Because, I think, I put more weight on the throttle hand. You might be doing the same?

I didn't think about that during the ride (although I've read about it). I can't wait until tomorrow to go out and try this...perhaps that's exactly what's happening.

basejumpyeah

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, I'm right handed..hmm

I didn't think about that during the ride (although I've read about it). I can't wait until tomorrow to go out and try this...perhaps that's exactly what's happening.

I reread your post, and I think that's exactly it. Also, you mentioned feeling like you could be able to take your hand off. The reason it could "feel" like less resistance on your left hand during a left turn is because obviously your hand is on the throttle, and you could be pulling on the right subconsciously (which is the same as pushing with your left), which is where all the pressure would be. While you feel like you can lift your left hand off, and still turn, it could be just because all the pressure is on your right hand, and you are too distracted with the throttle to realize it.

I really highly doubt it's any alignment issue. Go out, practice holding yourself to the bike with your legs, and not only should it solve this problem, but it will really improve your riding. Being mindful of where your weight is settling is a huge part of riding.

Cheers!

chomorro

Reaction score
Visit site
I think its normal dude. I hate making right turns they feel un natural to me, lefts are easier.

In my moto class, the teach said its perfectly normal. Everyone has an issue with turning one way.

los211

Reaction score
Visit site
i also have had issues with left leans but I believe its because I'm a righty. However I recently replaced my rear tire and noticed quite quickly my left turns were much more effortless. My right turns now required more input. It was definitely a lot different than the day before. I road the bike for a week (4-6 mile commutes) until I had a chance to go over everything i had done i.e rim removal and install after tire replacement. I found My rear tire was misaligned 1/16th inch to the right. Made the correction and now both directions of lean are equal except my left lean discomfort which is in my own head. just my .02

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
For the rear wheel, on the swingarm where the wheel is attached there should be little marks on it. Mine seem to be dead on. The bolts pushing on the blocks will allow you to adjust the wheels a little bit. You'll probably need to loosen the axle blocks up a little though. Nut is on the starboard side... erm right.

(I typed that first and so had to leave it.)

And for the turns, as long as the radius is constant (ie not getting tighter or wider over the course of the turn) if you had a way to slowly roll onto the throttle in the turn, you can take you hands off the handlebars and the bike will make the turn. Part of that whole gyro thing.

Sometimes, if the roads are empty, I'll grab my crampbuster with my fingers before the turn-in, slam the turn-in and let go with my left hand as I start my roll-on. Every time the bike makes the turn and I don't push on the handle bars at all until roll-out.

And just because it bugs me, you lean with your head first, push your body over with your legs (using your hands will upset the bike right before you brake hard), brake hard, let off the brake, turn-in (in one big push hopefully), then roll-on the throttle. When you can see your exit, start rolling out by getting on the throttle more and counter-steering out, then your exit is when you can monkey with the throttle all you want. Once you've exited, then get back on the bike. And your head doesn't look through the windscreen on a turn. Your head should be over the inside handgrip. Well, not over it, but inline with it. You know?

Corsara

Reaction score
Visit site
For the rear wheel, on the swingarm where the wheel is attached there should be little marks on it. Mine seem to be dead on. The bolts pushing on the blocks will allow you to adjust the wheels a little bit. You'll probably need to loosen the axle blocks up a little though. Nut is on the starboard side... erm right.

But mine have no marks, here is a new thread where I'll post pics:

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-...32-no-rear-axle-bolt-alignment-marks-why.html

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
I would check the rear alignment.

Also left and right corners on public roads are different. With two lane roadways right hand corners are tighter then left. And many roads are cambered for rain to run off so left handers are slight off cambered.

LeaN69

Reaction score
Visit site
Someting expained as the "Dominant Side" Im a righty, i write with my right arm, i carry most things with my right arm, when I do boxing I use my right arm for heavy punches, and I've also noticed that leaning right I feel way more comfortable then left and able to lean much more on the right side.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This is really easy to over analyse. I am right handed but feel much more at home with left turns. Because I ride on the correct side of the road I am presented with more right turn opportunities buy way of roundabouts.
So I now feel Ok ding right turns.
Its just a physical phenomena. We all have a side that feels better.

Nelly

ssmotorcycle

The Emmy Winning Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
It is very common to feel better/stronger turning one direction over another. In fact, I remember seeing an interview with Carlos Checa (current points leader in World Superbike) and he talked at length about how much better he is on clockwise tracks because of his ability to turn right better than left.

Good question though....makes you wonder how many people have felt that and wondered.

Corsara

Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you all for the tips! I definitely learned a lot and will keep all of that in mind!

However, tonight I noticed a problem: I pulled two strings on the sides to check the alignment of the rear wheel, and guess what---it was way off! 2 cm on one side vs 5 cm on the other! After spending 2 hours trying to adjust it, I'm finally satisfied with the result. Can't wait to take her out tomorrow and see if I still have the problem with left turns! If I do, the quest continues!