Faulty TPS unit and or PCIII..

v1jay

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Chaps - my 2006 machine has developed a fault which is very suspect of a faulty TPS unit. This all started on Tuesday. Was 3/4's of the way to work, filtering through usual London traffic, and i lost all 'drive' - the engine RPM's went from 1450 to 900, 750, 500/450 and 0...

This has never happen before to me since owning the bike. I did notice that the bike was not revving properly as I was getting closer to work, and I could not control the throttle properly at low RPM/speed :(

Slowing down was also a challenge, as it kept on sputtering... I lost all drive and finally if i didn't keep the RPM's high, it would just cut out. I managed to get to work after about 15 restarts - luckily the other bikers behind us were cool as I think they knew I had issues :( The ride home was fine, however the next day it started to cut out again.

I do have a PCIII fitted too, and was also thinking it could be a faulty commander which is causing this, however not likely, but a possibility. I also noticed that if you turn the key to the 'off' position for a few seconds, start the bike backup, it rides perfect again - Weird. TPS check via Diagnostics menu shows no faults, but this could be because i have turned the key to the 'off / on' position to get to Yamaha's DIAG menu [reads 16 – 99 btw].. This morning I started the bike up, and it was spitting out black/sooty, kinda wet to the touch exhaust smoke.

RE Power Commander - I suppose i could dis-connect the PC, and see how it rides... ? This would rule out a faulty PCIII I guess.

Has anyone replaced a TPS sensor themselves..? Easy, PITA / Not so bad?

Thanks in advance everyone, i know its been discussed before... but i have a PCIII in the mix :)

Cheers, vj

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
First thing, get a dealer to check if the TPS has been repaired - it should be done under warranty. They should also be able to check against your engine number.

v1jay

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Karen - I shall try the dealer Monday AM. However would it matter if my bike is a 2006 machine... and not prior..? I was reading this effected 2005/4 machines more then 06+.

thanks again, cheers.

v1jay

Reaction score
Visit site
Whooop - Yamaha have agreed to replace the faulty TPS unit free of charge as part of their Recall scheme.

Thanks again Karen, I was really under the impression that it was machines prior to 2006 that had the faulty TPS unit, guess not :thumbup:

For anyone interested - Yamaha UK can be contacted on 01932 358065 / 358042

I spoke to a lovely lady called Moira who was really helpful :)

[have your VIN No. ready] :cheer:

vj