Faulty Clutch Cable!!!

Latin Livin'

Reaction score
Visit site
Has anyone had a problem with their clutch cable coming undone by the lever? that happened to me yesterday.

I was riding down the road approaching a stop light (with traffic!!!). I went to downshift and my clutch cable just let loose!!! The cable slipped out from that little knob that is inserted into the clutch lever. Thankfully I was able to maneuver my FZ6 into a parking lot with no issues... i was slowing down so I was able to easily shift from neutral to 2nd w/o the use of the clutch.

Has this happened to you or anyone you know???

I can get a new cable (OEM or aftermarket) for the same price. it suxx that there is a holiday weekend coming up and NO ONE has them in stock!

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
Mine snapped on me a year ago - I was coming to the end of my driveway, pulled the clutch in and kept going. Got it stopped and pushed her back in the driveway.

I don't advise the following:
Since the shops around me couldn't get a cable quickly and I was about to leave on a big (1500 mile) trip I improvised and ran a bicycle brake cable in it's place with a barrel lock. I kept a couple extra cables, vice grips and locktite in my bike for the trip - I found a bike brake cable will last roughly 500 miles before it snaps too, if you absolutely have to ride. I had a cable shipped to a store 2/3rds of the way through the trip and picked it up when I got there.

The cable is a tough pull - I think the angle of the pull tends to wear out the cables prematurely right by the lever, though someone on the forums was making/selling a fabricated clutch perch that was supposed to help that issue. Keep yours lubed up and watch for fraying where you can, it was a 6 year old cable when it broke so I wasn't too upset.