Fairing/Helmet/Dash cams

Laurence243

Reaction score
Visit site
I want a camera to mount to my fairing (and dash when in the cage) to record for fun and liability purposes.

I was initially thinking of going with the GoPro Hero4 Silver, but there are a few other options out there.

Here's what I want it to do:

Mount anywhere
Produce good quality video
Have good battery life
Loop recording
Waterproof and durable
Record while streaming to a handheld device via wifi or Bluetooth
Plug in to charge while recording (optional but would be a nice feature)

What do you guys think is the best option, currently?

Last edited:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Although I also have a Gopro, I have fiddled with shooting video from my cell phone using my Ram mount. Not sure if you had noticed my Ram mount on my handle bars for my phone. But you can adjust it so it's facing vertically when the phone is mounted so that the camera is facing towards the front. Not the greatest video, but it's convenient and practical since you already have a phone with a video camera. Well maybe you need the Ram mount, but that can be easily purchased and it doesn't cost very much. You can always delete the video after every ride or drive.

odachi13

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm a fan of the Drift Ghost HD, better shape for bikes with a rotating lens, waterproof out the box too.
Handy remote control you can wear or strap to a handle bar and does looping too.

MitsuFootDr

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a Mobius Actioncam mounted to a bracket on the right hand side of my bike's fairing (the black plastic part) Has loop recording in 5 min. intervals, water resistant cover (not water proof), magnetic base mount for easily switching between my bike and car. It stores data to a micro sd card. Shoots in 1080p....basically does everything you were wanting. And the best part? - it's about $100. Size of the camera - pack of tic tacs. You really can't go wrong. Let me know if you want pictures of my set up.

mountaincycle

Reaction score
Visit site
I think the GoPro might be leading the action cameras but I went with Contour.

with Contour, you have 270° rotating lens, 170° wide-angle lens and laser alignment you can mount the camera almost anywhere on any angle.. it works great on my FZ6 and also for my cycling (MTB and Road)

Contour+2 - Contour

Laurence243

Reaction score
Visit site
Its looking like the Drift Ghost might be the way to go. The newer and nearly twice as expensive Ghost-S doesn't actually improve video quality from what I've read and it is the same otherwise.

Another feature I forgot to mention that I wanted was live wifi streaming to a device so I can use it on the front or sides of my truck while off road to see below my hood line etc. The Ghost does everything I want. Decent price too at $220

boarder4life81

Reaction score
Visit site
Great price on these right now, [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Contour-ROAM2-Waterproof-Video-Camera/dp/B009CN8VRK/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1419401378&sr=1-1&keywords=contour+camera#customerReviews"]Amazon.com : Contour ROAM2 Waterproof Video Camera (Black) : Flash Memory Camcorders : Electronics[/ame], (if you don't mind last years model). Though I'm not sure how much the various mount systems cost.

odachi13

Reaction score
Visit site
Its looking like the Drift Ghost might be the way to go. The newer and nearly twice as expensive Ghost-S doesn't actually improve video quality from what I've read and it is the same otherwise.

Another feature I forgot to mention that I wanted was live wifi streaming to a device so I can use it on the front or sides of my truck while off road to see below my hood line etc. The Ghost does everything I want. Decent price too at $220

The Ghost will only stream when it isn't recording, the wifi is a bit of gimmick IMO but just lets you use your phone as a remote to see the angle before clicking record.

erburtt

Reaction score
Visit site
Waspcam Gideon, has all the top specs (1080p @60 fps, time lapse maker, looping video function, etc...) has a wrist remote with a lcd so you can aim the camera and start and stop it, I have a friend who works for the company so I got one before they were released for really cheap. I've used contours before, this honestly shoots the nicest video I've seen yet, super sharp and crisp. Looks like a go pro knock off but it's exceeded my expectations in terms or quality and ease of use

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So if the Waspcam looks like a Gopro, does it share all the same accessories such as the mounts and brackets?

MitsuFootDr

Reaction score
Visit site
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Mobius action cam on my fairing bracket that I made.

Last edited:

Laurence243

Reaction score
Visit site
I wanted to update this thread with what I ended up getting. I went with a Mobius action cam with 5gb card, I have it mounted to my helmet with their helmet mount.

Two things to note: I had to add two cheap washers to the screw mount to get proper tension and, because the adhesive mount is on a curved surface, I used three layers of electrical tape in two places to act as shims to keep it tight.

I put velcro on the lens cap and a spot behind the camera on the helmet for it to stick to, that way I never lose it :)

0dmtpQa.jpg

dxq7Gfb.jpg

Last edited:

Ultrarandom

Reaction score
Visit site
I've got a gopro but because of the nature of design it sticks out quite noticeably. The Drift/Contour is probably best in terms of stealth.
With the streaming thing, I have the HD Hero3 Black and it streams to your phone via wifi while recording but there's also a decent 4 - 6 second delay to what you see on your phone.

EDIT: I do believe I should read post dates properly and in their entirety haha.

Last edited:

Laurence243

Reaction score
Visit site
I'll eventually get a Sony action cam - best quality, waterproof, can stream to my Z3v which I'll have mounted on my handlebars with a wireless charger. I'll mount it on the tail facing backwards as a rear view cam :)