F Trip Abuse:

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
How far can you take the F Trip? How far have you taken it? Occasionally it'll come on for me and give me about 3-4 miles after my second shift. Due to the nice weather recently, my riding has become quite.......spirited.

This morning I got this:

View attachment 52413

I was starting to panic around the 7 mile mark! Lol

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I got to 38 km and then put in about 16 litres so I guess I had at least another 30 is worth in the tank

I guess all of them vary a bit and you'll need to work out for yr bike

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner and it works every time !

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
So there's a fair bit of distance in the F Trip then? That's good to know. Do you guys adjust your riding at all when it's on? I was barely keeping the engine above stall rpms through the 30mph zones this morning, and then accelerating to 70 in 4th instead of 3rd to keep the revs down.

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
So there's a fair bit of distance in the F Trip then? That's good to know. Do you guys adjust your riding at all when it's on? I was barely keeping the engine above stall rpms through the 30mph zones this morning, and then accelerating to 70 in 4th instead of 3rd to keep the revs down.

On my bike the F trip turns on when i have 4 liters (1 gal) left, which means that with my regular riding style ( i usually get around 30 mpg but ride at high rpm, 7k and up most of the time...) i should get at least 30 miles before engine death.

To be honest i usually ride pretty conservatively once its on, i try to keep it below 5k rpm.

The max i have done on it was 32 miles, i had 1 liter left when i reached the pump.

Last edited:

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
I once carried a water bottle of gasoline in my backpack and ran the bike until it died. I got 42 miles before it started sputtering...

I usually fill it up before the light even comes on, but know you have a solid gallon of fuel once it does.

Xavias

Shenanigans.
Reaction score
Visit site
I think I've run 40 miles on it before. I usually fill up very soon after though as I don't believe it's good to be running your gas tank to empty...

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
Mine got me 400 yards from the gas station. I coasted as far as I could and then pushed the last 50 yards on the sidewalk.

Which turned out to be 43 miles (some downhill, some spirited riding)

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Anything after 40 miles and you're on borrowed time, however I know of members who have gotten over 50 miles on their trip. I've run out after 43 miles. Each bike is different. Honestly, I think its good information to know and suggest that you find out what your bike's capabilities is.

mnuttall87

Reaction score
Visit site
Does the F trip work if your fuel gauge is broken? Mine is doing the flashing error and I always fill up at 130 miles because I have no idea how far I can really go.

erburtt

Reaction score
Visit site
I've done over 50 miles, its scary when you get up that high as you never know what's exactly happened throughout the whole tank of gas with regards to your riding style and gas consumption, I usually have a rough idea, but that's gotten me pushing it a couple of times.

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
Does the F trip work if your fuel gauge is broken? Mine is doing the flashing error and I always fill up at 130 miles because I have no idea how far I can really go.

There's only one way to find out.........

As a guestimation, I do two ~85 mile commutes, and if I've been hammering it, I'll get F Trip like this morning, for a few miles. So I'd say, brim the tank, take it to 170-180 miles (depending on your riding style) and see if it comes on.

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
whats f trip? :eek:

After you've been running on your last blob of the fuel gauge for a while, you get a trip counter start up on the dash, with the prefix "F:" and the last blob starts flashing. Mine usually kicks in ~165 miles on a full tank.

CountryBoy

Reaction score
Visit site
The furthest I think I've ever gone is about 330km on a brimmed tank. (I was doing slow, long distance runs on completely flat roads), but even then I only got 16 litres into the tank. So I had about 3 and a bit litters left until empty.

It was the lowest fuel consumption I've ever had, 4.9l/100km for that fill up. My average is 5.4, So I guess I could comfortably do 370km on a tank. I usually ride up to about 40km of F-Trip. If I ever ride slowly like that again, I might attempt to break the 400km on one tank mark.

That being said, the bike is well overdue for a service so I wonder what that will do to fuel consumption. I guess we will find out soon, 1500km round trip to Britain and back for Easter!

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've tip toe'd into the 35 mile range of the reserve coming home from Erci's house, 30 is the max I'll push it to now tho.