Extra key?

Yasko

Reaction score
Visit site
I like to key 3 keys for my bike, and I need one more. How much do keys run, and can I go anywhere to get one cut?

david323

Can't Re Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I bought a 2nd OEM one from my local Yamaha dealer for $12 as the OO said he lost one at the Grand Canyon.

huy

Reaction score
Visit site
i bought 2 from ebay for $1.50 each.

Went to home depot to get them cut and was free since they didn't know how to charge me since they charge for the key not the cutting.

jazzpaintball

Reaction score
Visit site
Look into your local larger locksmith. Mine always has my keys and will cut three for roughly $10.

Larger chain stores don't know about keys beyond what they have in front of them. My suzuki (wagon) takes a Toyota truck key blank. Went to 8 different chain stores and they had no idea what to do since all the suzuki keys were not the same. The locksmith knew in 15 seconds.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
i bought 2 from ebay for $1.50 each.

Went to home depot to get them cut and was free since they didn't know how to charge me since they charge for the key not the cutting.

Similar story here, ordered blank off ebay, went to local ACE Hardware, guy said it was free because he wasn't sure the cut would work. Works fine!

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
just bear in mind that non-US bikes will probably need a chipped key to disable the YISS immobilizer.

i think bikes in the US (north america?) don't have immobilizers

OneCheekRider

One Cheek On The Seat!
Reaction score
Visit site
get the "euro" key (or whatever you wanna call it). I hate the keys that come with the US bikes. It looks 10x better and since it has a bit more heft, it's easier to find in my pocket.

After a quick search it looks like the one linked below, but if you just search "yamaha key" you should find some for just a few bucks each

NEW ** PAIR ** BLACK YAMAHA R1 R6 S TJ FJR FZ1 FZ6 BLANK EURO KEY | eBay

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
The correct US key looks like this:
NEW YAMAHA KEY BLANK YZFR1 V STAR R6 FZ6 | eBay

You can either buy it from a yamaha parts supplier or be patient on Ebay to wait for a better price. I paid around $8 shipped when I bought this key blank off Ebay.

Step 2 is to bring the key blank and your original key to your local locksmith. they should charge around $4 to cut the key onto the key blank you supply

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have two Genuine Yamaha, US style keys already.

I had the local locksmith make me another one. This is just flat, no logo's, nothing, plain looking, $7.00 TOTAL.

I actually prefer the flat one (as its used as a spare) as its taped up (no huge bulge) under the fairing for emergencies.

2006_FZ6

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Yasko

Reaction score
Visit site
I have two Genuine Yamaha, US style keys already.

I had the local locksmith make me another one. This is just flat, no logo's, nothing, plain looking, $7.00 TOTAL.

I actually prefer the flat one (as its used as a spare) as its taped up (no huge bulge) under the fairing for emergencies.

I need a flat key to hide.