Extendable windscreen? Soft bags?

saveitk

Reaction score
Visit site
Guys, I get beat up by the wind when riding over 60, I remember seeing an attachable windscreen (attaches to your existing windscreen)... anyone have any idea about these things?

Also, how about some soft bags, any suggestions? BTW, I'm 6' 6" so maybe nothing will help? I could've used something tonight, very windy here in Dallas. I have the Puid bubble smoked screen which helps a little, but I need something much larger.

Thanks!

Kevin

Last edited:

Scab

Nobody special
Reaction score
Visit site

saveitk

Reaction score
Visit site
Now that fellas, is how to help someone, I appreciate the thorough answer and links.. much appreciated!

I believe this is what you are looking for: Laminar Products for Yamaha FZ-6

I have no personal experience with them so I cannot comment on their effect.

As for luggage, I have these on my FZ:
http://www.newenoughhp.com/luggage/saddlebags_/nelson_rigg/cl1000_standard_motorcycle_saddlebags.html
http://www.newenoughhp.com/luggage/tail_bags/nelson_rigg/cl100_motorcycle_standard_sport_tail_pack.html

Though, I did have to fabricate some supports to make the saddlebags sit like I wanted them to.

outkast

Reaction score
Visit site
I recently fitted the yamaha touring screen to the bike. Its 4 inches taller than standard and does a good job of keeping the wind/rain off.

Unseen

Reaction score
Visit site
Always try to do a test ride before buying another screen. It's very dependant on your height. For instance the FZ6 touring screen did not work for me. It just put me in the turbulence resulting in more noise. So i've remounted the original screen and sold the touring screen.

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe you would like to consider this as well. It is a windscreen mod that I did on my FZ6. I found that going higher with the screen does not stop turbulance, so i went lower instead and it works wonderfully.

A lot of the guys have tried this now and I have not seen a negative result up to now.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/how-tos/6519-2006-windscreen-mod.html

Steve

F

formula154

I'm 5'7" tall . The laminar lip raised the air from nipple high to chin high. I cut a hole in the bottom of my wind shield and that reduced the turbulence a lot. Cutting the wind shield off does reduce turbulence but it exposes more of your body to the cold air. If you want wind protection and less turbulence then cut a hole in the bottom of the screen to reduce turbulence and add the lip to increase wind protection.http://www.600riders.com/forum/how-tos/6519-2006-windscreen-mod-7.html Roll down to the bottom of the page

Last edited by a moderator:

cv_rider

Reaction score
Visit site
Most people (including me) like the CalSci screen. They come in 9.5" or 11" taller than the stock screen. At that height, you're shielded from both turbulence and wind blast. But you lose a large component of the sportbike look, if that's what your into.

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
Most people (including me) like the CalSci screen. They come in 9.5\" or 11\" taller than the stock screen. At that height, you're shielded from both turbulence and wind blast. But you lose a large component of the sportbike look, if that's what your into.

I don't believe CalSci makes screens for anything pre-07.

Scab

Nobody special
Reaction score
Visit site
IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg

paul1149

Riding with the King
Reaction score
Visit site
Scab, you did a superb job on your brackets. Much better than the copper tubing job I just did (I have the somewhat larger Nelson-Riggs soft bags).

Lately, though, I've been riding without bags, using just a cargo net over the rear seat and throwing bags on when needed.