Exhuast Question

Blake

Reaction score
Visit site
My question basically is I am looking to buy a scorpion exhaust for my FZ6 and I have heard that I would need a power commander because the bike to run to lean without it. Do I need the power commander or not? will it mess up the engine without the power commander?

tweak89

Reaction score
Visit site
No, you will be just fine swapping out the exhaust.

Now, if you modded the air box and/or added a high-flowing air filter in conjunction with aftermarket exhaust then I would look into fuel management.

You will find that MOST aftermarket cans for the FZ6 require no fuel management.

I had Scorps on my '05 FZ6 and now have them on my '09 with no problems.

Mancolt

Reaction score
Visit site
Now, if you modded the air box and/or added a high-flowing air filter in conjunction with aftermarket exhaust then I would look into fuel management.

What if you add a K&N air filter but keep the stock exhaust? Would the bike run fine or would you recommend a Power Commander?

KingY

Reaction score
Visit site
I was running scorpion exhausts for a long time with no engine mapping or power commander. I recently put a K&N air filter, modded air box and put a de-cat pipe on then i brought a power commander. Problem is i can afford to have it on dynojet just yet. i got a custom map off internet but it is not quite 100% my setup so bike is running very very lean, smokes when it is cold and on idle. uses loads more fuel too! just need to get it dyno tuned and all will be sweet

but no power commander is needed if you only got the end cans on it :)

trailmug

Reaction score
Visit site
What if you add a K&N air filter but keep the stock exhaust? Would the bike run fine or would you recommend a Power Commander?

I reasonably expect that the long, narrow, torque-tuned intake will always be the flow restriction on these guys. I don't expect that replacing the air filter with oiled cotton would require any changes, as my guess is that it wouldn't increase flow much. In any case, at least, if the bike sports an oxygen sensor, I should think it would adjust the fuel trim inside a margin wide enough to handle a different air filter.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I was running scorpion exhausts for a long time with no engine mapping or power commander. I recently put a K&N air filter, modded air box and put a de-cat pipe on then i brought a power commander. Problem is i can afford to have it on dynojet just yet. i got a custom map off internet but it is not quite 100% my setup so bike is running very very lean, smokes when it is cold and on idle. uses loads more fuel too! just need to get it dyno tuned and all will be sweet

but no power commander is needed if you only got the end cans on it :)

Sounds like your bike is running way rich! I would try a different map. Also, Did you disconnect the battery for a few minutes before loading the new map?

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Do you need a power commander if your running cans and a decat but standard airbox etc?

No. I have Leo Vince / decat + stock filter / box. Bike runs perfectly with very minor popping when rolling off throttle.
I'm sure it can be adjusted to run even better with PC + dyno, but it's very good as is.