S

Shamus McFeeley

You could use the search function...

...and then see how ridiculous it is.

Welcome to the board!

red06

Reaction score
Visit site
remember its basically a free mod , you will destroy your stock exhaust and not have anything acomplished

BigT_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Drilling your exhaust isnt worth it only produces a very annoying hissing sound. My mate done it to his 06 fz6 thinking it would make it louder and it sounded s*#t.

you can remove the guts of the standard exhaust and weld tubes in to make straight thru but takes a bit of work and a dab hand with a welder.

Dr.Landau

Reaction score
Visit site
The search function really turns to be your best friend here, give it a try.

[ame]http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QwFt4dwYNQ[/ame]

krid80

journeyman of epic status
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
Drilling your exhaust isnt worth it only produces a very annoying hissing sound. My mate done it to his 06 fz6 thinking it would make it louder and it sounded s*#t.

you can remove the guts of the standard exhaust and weld tubes in to make straight thru but takes a bit of work and a dab hand with a welder.
So true, I have heard two like this and both sounded like garbage

Dr.Landau

Reaction score
Visit site
To each his own I suppose...

To me this sounds a bit better than stock, and well worth the $10.

I cant justify the cost for the hp gains of slip-ons.
For $1000 there are larger gains to be had within the engine.

[ame="http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rkFMtG2NXQ"]http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rkFMtG2NXQ[/ame]

krid80

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
I have heard worse, but it definitely sounds like a chainsaw. That is the biggest problem drilling factory exhaust, the resonance from an aftermarket system is what makes them worth it. Deep vs tinny.

TAPnTX

Reaction score
Visit site
Not to mention the loss of performance, unless you put a power commander on it and some time on the Dyno getting it tuned.

If you want noise put a Playing card in the Spokes :welcome:

Todd

krid80

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
Not to mention the loss of performance, unless you put a power commander on it and some time on the Dyno getting it tuned.

If you want noise put a Playing card in the Spokes :welcome:

Todd
Now, this statement isn't exactly true. All aftermarket exhaust systems (except the laser extreme quad) have been dyno tested and do increase power even with no fuel modifications. A proper tune will further increase these gains (and may bring back the loss of power on the laser). If the good doctor increased exhaust gas velocity and flow, likely on a dyno, you would see some gain. However, I would imagine that drilling through the chambers of the muffler without adding a smooth path for exhaust gas to flow would decrease backpressure but reduce the scavenging effect due to increased turbulence.

But like he said, he didn't do this for a power gain.

TAPnTX

Reaction score
Visit site
Now, this statement isn't exactly true. All aftermarket exhaust systems (except the laser extreme quad) have been dyno tested and do increase power even with no fuel modifications. A proper tune will further increase these gains (and may bring back the loss of power on the laser). If the good doctor increased exhaust gas velocity and flow, likely on a dyno, you would see some gain. However, I would imagine that drilling through the chambers of the muffler without adding a smooth path for exhaust gas to flow would decrease backpressure but reduce the scavenging effect due to increased turbulence.

But like he said, he didn't do this for a power gain.

I would say kinda true, most of your gain will be at the top end of the rev range. It has been my experience when using a Slip on with out a PC that it is hesitant on the bottom end. I know this for fact on the FZ6, as I just removed the Scorpion that was on their and went back stock. The bike is more responsive on the low to mid range throttle.

For example next time you are around a hair dryer put your hand over the exhaust end, what happens, it increases in speed. My point is with out that tune the bike wont rev as quickly, hence hesitation off the line. I wont say this is the rule for every bike, but I would say for 90% of the Sport bikes it is true. This is especially true on the bikes using exhaust valves, and removing them.

Todd

krid80

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
did you dyno your bike stock and with the aftermarket exhaust? usually the sluggishness is only at the extreme bottom of the powerband which you never use. On dyno graphs, power is gained over the entire rev range. likely any sluggishness is due to the increase being more dramatic on the top which would give a placebo effect of power loss when in fact there is either no gain and no loss or only a small gain that is diminished in relation to the top end gain.

The hair dryer analogy does not apply here, either. The reason a hair dryer motor spins faster with added backpressure is that it is doing less work. The electricity is the fuel, air, and exhaust equivalent in this analogy and covering the end would be similar to running your bike on the centerstand vs running it down the road. Or perhaps a better analogy would be riding your bike at 100 mph alone or in the draft of another vehicle. Less resistance on the drive equals easier operation or in this case a faster rev

Last edited:

Dr.Landau

Reaction score
Visit site
If by drilling Ive moved my bike to chainsaw status (2stroke), then I am one step closer to my goal.

Thanks for the compliment.

My mind dyno tells me there has been no decrease in performance, if anything it's noticed a little increase. But then again it's been a long, long time since I was pulled behind 2-3 horses, so the difference may be negligable at best.

TAPnTX

Reaction score
Visit site
did you dyno your bike stock and with the aftermarket exhaust? usually the sluggishness is only at the extreme bottom of the powerband which you never use. On dyno graphs, power is gained over the entire rev range. likely any sluggishness is due to the increase being more dramatic on the top which would give a placebo effect of power loss when in fact there is either no gain and no loss or only a small gain that is diminished in relation to the top end gain.

The hair dryer analogy does not apply here, either. The reason a hair dryer motor spins faster with added backpressure is that it is doing less work. The electricity is the fuel, air, and exhaust equivalent in this analogy and covering the end would be similar to running your bike on the centerstand vs running it down the road. Or perhaps a better analogy would be riding your bike at 100 mph alone or in the draft of another vehicle. Less resistance on the drive equals easier operation or in this case a faster rev

No I did not have to Dyno the bike to know what I can feel at the throttle. Most slip-ons are less than 5% power gain, I doubt you can feel that difference over the rev range. But I think it is a Psychological increase, you hear more noise and think you are going faster.

It does not matter what the power source is, if you are compressing more air you are using more fuel / air etc. Almost all current engines rely on some sort of Back pressure for the engine to function efficiently. This is why a lot of manufactures are using exhaust valves, to increase low end torque. Just go look over on the GSXR site, and read about the guys removing the mid pipes with the valve in them and experiencing worse performance. I know our bikes are restricted by air flow through out the system for EPA regs. But in doing that we have a good balance of Performance and efficiency. But again, if you want a Slip on, be sure to re-tune the bike for it and of course with that free flowing exhaust you will need to open the air box, not just a K&N filter.Again I will take crisp throttle response over 5% gain and more noise any day.

I have put Slip ons on many bikes, and every time, I went backwards in performance. more hesitation over the rev range. This is especially bad when you are in this position (Black CBR) :D

CBR2.jpg

Todd

FizWhiz

Reaction score
Visit site
I would say kinda true, most of your gain will be at the top end of the rev range. It has been my experience when using a Slip on with out a PC that it is hesitant on the bottom end. I know this for fact on the FZ6, as I just removed the Scorpion that was on their and went back stock. The bike is more responsive on the low to mid range throttle.

For example next time you are around a hair dryer put your hand over the exhaust end, what happens, it increases in speed. My point is with out that tune the bike wont rev as quickly, hence hesitation off the line. I wont say this is the rule for every bike, but I would say for 90% of the Sport bikes it is true. This is especially true on the bikes using exhaust valves, and removing them.

Todd

This is interesting. I'm looking at 3 different FZ6's and 1 has the Scorpions - so it sounds like I should rule out that one since I prefer the low to mid range throttle response to be better. Of course, I'm one of those guys that prefers a bike to be closer to stock than modded.

krid80

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
Your 650R will have more low end than the FZ6. Any inline-4 engine will have less low end than a twin. That is the nature of the engine. If you want low end, buy a different bike or learn to ride in the upper revs. That is the way it is intended to be ridden after all.

Dr.Landau

Reaction score
Visit site
Aw just drill them already, at stock they are as efficent as theyre gonna get.

A 7/8" hole just gives them some bass.

Im dynoing the bike in my mind as we speak.

Yuppers, its about the same.

Don't drink and drill. (Matt Groeing Quote)