Exhaust, one side cold

Joely

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all, first post but I’ve been lurking in the background :cool:

I seem to have an exhaust problem, to be fair I haven’t had a chance to look properly yet but I thought I’d give you good people a chance to see if you can work out what’s going on….

My FZ6 is a 2008 S2 in black, I’ve been run SP Engineering’s GP Stubby Carbon Fibre exhausts with no baffles (DB killers) – lovely and loud!

Just yesterday after a good blast around the country side I noticed the left hand exhaust was cold and the right hand side really hot, so much so that the silver tip had discoloured with the heat. Any ideas why?

I know the right hand side can has the path of least resistance for the gas flow, but that doesn’t explain it, they both got hot before. And if anything was blocking one pipe the other would be favoured, but I covered the end of the right pipe and the exhaust gas came out of the left pipe easily enough… they both sounded the same too and rpm’s didn’t drop or rise.

With no baffles you can look into the end cans quite easily, doesn’t look like any packing material has escaped…

Over to you guys!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: to our family!

Generally speaking discoloring that is a straw color is about 700 degrees F. The "Y" pipe design with canister diameter and length may be such that there is little diversion at higher volume flow and this is where you need the opposite. In fact the flow through may get to the point of suction on the other pipe. If you think about a bead blaster, (sand blaster) the straight air pipe starts to suck the sand up into the straight pipe when the air flow in the straight pipe gets high enough. I'd put my money on the "Y" pipe (which is more an "h" pipe) at the higher volume being the area to modify. :)

Last edited:

Joely

Reaction score
Visit site
Many thanks for the welcome! :D

I do like your thought process there and completely understand the theory, but this is a new phenomenon, prior to this last weekend it was just fine!