Exhaust Burn

kpaul

The Great Destroyer
Reaction score
www.xbox.com
No, not on my skin, that'd grow back and I wouldn't care to bother you all with it. I discovered an error of sorts when I went to check on my Leo Vince install a couple weeks ago. A part of the plastic under the seat had melted to the seat (this made the seat quite difficult to remove as you can imagine). When I put things back together the seat didn't quite fit so well as it would normally, I think I found out why, but in the meantime it created a dip in the seat which pushed the plastic down too close to the pipe, melting it.

After discovering this I took the rear assembly apart again and the clearance issues are gone and the seat fits properly. I've since cleaned up the pipe and seat, removing the plastic from both, and the best fix I could think of was to put tin foil around the hole so that it doesn't melt again. Thus far it seems to be working. Any better ideas?

4457665670_d80455ba44.jpg

4456893609_63d8779876.jpg

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
If you're looking for something that wouldn't be as fragile, a piece of license plate is easy to mold to what you want for a guard. Fairly thin sheet aluminum..... you could use the helmet lock mounting point to bolt it to the sub frame.

kpaul

The Great Destroyer
Reaction score
www.xbox.com
Finally getting around to this. Does anybody know where I could get a thin sheet of aluminum? I checked home depot and they didn't have anything like that. Thanks!

Reaction score
Visit site
I look at junkyards. You could look at the heat shields for exhaust pipes/mufflers. Just look at the muffler in the back of the car and there should be a heat shield around or above it. Should to the trick for cheap

kpaul

The Great Destroyer
Reaction score
www.xbox.com
That wrap is a good idea, although I'd need to take it apart to ensure I get a good fit. Then I'll have to order the damaged part too, anybody know what part # that is? I looked on Yamaha but couldn't find it. Thanks for the tips guys!

Last edited:

Jajarm

Reaction score
Visit site
I have had good luck using the disposable turkey roaster pans that you can pick up in any grocery store nice and thick and easy to work with.

D

Dave.TX

I used a plate lying around the house originally found at Radio Shack:

FxCam_1315149883062.jpg

Also, the burn on the seat which was going through to the foam, I used the casing of an old floppy disk drive. It's thin aluminum and hopefully creates a small air gap between it and the seat for airflow:

FxCam_1315149920738.jpg

I used some small computer screws as their short length wouldn't protrude and they don't have pointed ends.

My bike already came equipped with Leo Vince slip ons and someone wrapped the upper portion in exhaust tape (like mentioned earlier). I don't think it helped much. Clearance is not so good between the exhaust pipe and plastic. I'm hoping this will solve the problem for now. I didn't find the problem until purchase and brought it home. Failed to look under the seat!

Last edited by a moderator: