EPA 4gal minimum law...WTF!!!

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've got a 3.94 gallon tank. I guess I'll have to pour the difference on the ground. That should make the EPA happy! :thumbup:

The good thing about OKC is we can buy 100% gas! :cheer:

Last edited:

phranK2k11

Chat Camper :)
Reaction score
Visit site
After reading the article you linked to, I've had similar concerns anytime I'm getting gas at a station that has 1 hose that dispenses all 3 grades. If the person who filled up before me got 87 and I'm getting 93 I get X amount of 87 that is still in the hose. They're trying to impose a 4 gal min on that type of pump that has different ethanol grades dispensed from one hose.

Just a side note, the 2012 R6 has a 3.8gal tank......

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Exactly, not to mention most of the time I fill up my fz I only get 3gal. Chances are it won't pass but if it does it will blow.

By the way this is supposed to be a solution for the new e15/e10 pumps aka "blender" pumps but can still have e15 in the line when someone wants e10 so if you get more gas the percentage of e15 will go down. A lot of gas stations are tying to go to these "blender" pumps to have 1 pump to pump different fuels and are in support of the 4gal min because it would increase their bottom line especially on credit card purchases under $10

Just the gov trying to force more crappy fuel down our throats which will cause more damage to our power sport products and power equipment I you ask me

oaks

~~~~~
Reaction score
Visit site
E15 (a blend of gasoline and ethanol) | Fuels & Fuel Additives | US EPA

Interesting reading under the FAQ tab. E15 use hasn't been mandated. Ethanol producers applied to sell higher percentage mixes. The 4 gallon minimum is part of their misfueling mitigation requirement for vendors that choose to sell E15. Motorcycles and everything else, except 2001+ cars and light trucks, must stick with E10.

Last edited:

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
What a waste of everyones time this law is...
but to overcome the blended fuel, dump the first 1/2 liter on the the tarmac then take the right fuel to fill up. It will only take one or two times for the station owners to get the idea that the work place safety is jeopardized, that us folk with small tanks are not happy with the plan and a bit of civil disobedience could spread far and wide

I'm only half joking about dumping fuel but you could take your mower fuel can with you ( right royal PITA) and dump the "mix" into that

man sorry about the rant its not something that has even been thought of here in Australia but boy, has the idea really pi55ed me off

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Honestly I don't see this happening. If it does I'll buy my fuel in my 5 gallon fuel bottle, then pour it into the bike.

That works great unless I'm out touring...

Also, in addition to, finally, I have a laminated plastic tank. E15 will delaminate the tank. Thanks EPA. I'll send you the bill for $750.00.

viviifz6

Winter...
Reaction score
Visit site
I'll just use the pump closest to the actual station and "give" it back to them till I hit 4 gallons. Hopefully I can hit the stuff they sell outside from there!:BLAA: it's my gas, I can do what I want right?:Flip:

UHcougarJohn

Reaction score
Visit site
Damn how will I ever be able to buy enough gas to fill my lawn mower before it goes bad:D

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't see this getting very far. There are too many people out there that buy gas a gallon at a time for equipment with small engines (chainsaws, line trimmers, blowers, mowers, etc). That's just ridiculous. Not to mention it would royally suck with the bike if you're planning to take a road trip and want to top off before you leave, or top off when you're on your way into an area that doesn't have a lot of gas stations.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah I dont see it getting passed either, the AMA is making a big stink about it to for everything you just mentioned too.

William

Reaction score
Visit site
This issue was also in a recent action alert by the AMA. Click HERE to see it. If you want to have a say, fwiw, the AMA makes is relatively easy to communicate with your lawmakers on this and other issues facing motorcyclists. Click the take action button and it hooks you with the specific representatives for your jurisdictions. Of course, then, as I’ve learned, your lawmakers have your contact information too. :)