Engine trouble warning light

Debaser

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all,

I had the engine trouble warning light come on this morning. I stopped in a garage near work after my 45 minute commute and when I started off again I rode out of the garage and then it came on (solid not flashing) and I could hear a kind of grumbling noise from somewhere. It lasted about 5 seconds then the noise stopped and the light went out. No noticable loss of power and no fault code was reported. The temperature was -5C (23F) this morning, I'm wondering if it was just a frozen sensor, but then why no fault code? I rode all last winter with no issues in the cold. Should I pursue it or just wait to see if it happens again? I wouldn't really know where to start in diagnosing as no fault code was reported.

Scorphonic

No Man is an Ireland.
Reaction score
Visit site
I had a recent fault with error 46/49 cant remember now but just to save yourself if it is the cold...get some good grease and make sure the connectors at the ECU are well covered. Maybe some water got in there today and caused the engine light???

Multiple things can be the cause and without the error code you'll not know exactly what it is.

zigzagg321

blue is fastest...
Reaction score
Visit site
well OBDII systems will let the light go out if the sensed problem doesnt repeat or keep happening. I have no idea if the FZ6 is OBDII or what.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
You might have had some ice in your fuel..... if there was any moisture in your tank, maybe it blocked something in the FI setup momentarily.

As a precautionary measure, I'd suggest some 'fuel dryer' so you can ensure that any condensation in the tank will not cause issues. If the engine warning light went back out..... I'd monitor it and hope it's gone for good.

I would be extremely surprised if a sensor couldn't handle the temperature. I think it's possible you have a loose connection, or potentially some corrosion on a contact.... but I would not start trying to find something like that until the problem became more consistent.

SirG

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a 2007 FZ6 that the light has come on 4 times in 18 months.
It only stays on for 5 to 60 seconds so I never have time to hit it with
the OBDII. I could hook the Geniuses to it and ride around till it comes
on again (who knows when) but the Geniuses cost more then my bike
and is a little bulky to ride around with all the time.

As for OBD II
I will check. From what I know ALL vehicles January 1996 and newer
where required to be equipped with On Board Diagnostic 2.0 or OBD-II.
With a quick look at the legislation it looks like only cars and light trucks
but I don't think that is right. I will look in to it more and let you know.