Engine sound - related oil type?

Rob2222

Reaction score
www.rob2222.de
Engine sound - related oil type? MP3 inside.

Hello,

I switched from a FZ6 Fazer 2005 to a FZ6 Fazer S2 2007 (3000 miles) 4 month ago. I noticed that the 2007 engine sounds different to the 2005 engine. The 2005 sounds smoother. I was at two dealers and they say, that all is fine. But anyway I would like to eleminate that sound. I found that some people posted that theire engine became quieter with a new oil type. If you want to hear the sound: MP3. You can hear the noise at 40 seconds. At 38-39 seconds its quiet and at 40-41 you hear it good.

You only hear it when the engine is warm (>80°C/>176°F) but then you hear it always. At some rpm louder at some rpm not so loud.
This FZ6 has atm Castrol GPS 10W-40 (semi-synthetic). I read from some people that the engine became a little bit louder with this castrol oil. But I don't know which oil was in the 2005.

Do you have any experience with the change of oil type and a other engine sound? If yes, from what type you changed to what new type? Did your FZ6 sounds equal to the recorded sound?

BR Robert

Last edited:

mpb218

Reaction score
Visit site
That sounds like a bad "tic" that we are used too... I've heard it was the valves then I heard it wasn't, then I heard it was a Yamaha thing, but yours is pretty loud... anyone have an idea on this??

Rob2222

Reaction score
www.rob2222.de
Well, I have to say that it's a good recording. You hear it a little better/louder in the record than in reality.
BR Robert

CFPilot

Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Engine sound - related oil type? MP3 inside.

Mine sounds pretty much exactly the same, its a 2008. I've heard alot of people call it the "Yamaha Tick". I've decided to just get used to it, as people say its normal and doesn't cause any damage. If anyone knows how to fix/reduce this I would love to know :)

Rob2222

Reaction score
www.rob2222.de
As I posted in the other thread, too:

Then I have one more question to this people, who have this type of noise, that is hearable in my MP3 file posted above: Which model year is your FZ6? My 2005 didn't had it, my 2007 has it. Can it be that the 2007 lifting got a newer/modified R6 engine that tends to that noise type?

BR Robert

Rob2222

Reaction score
www.rob2222.de
Hmm, I don't us any special. It's 92 European octan. But as I said, my 05 doesnt had the sound, my 07 has.

staticghost

FZ6 Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Are you using regualar oil or full synthetic?
If you want top of the line oil get AMSOIL 10W-40 and keep feeling it up with super for a while. This might get rid of the noise for good. I only buy the best parts and fluids for my bike.

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You could try Motul 5100 (semi synth) or 7100 (fully synth) in the 10W-50. It stops it on mine until it gets a lot warmer with the 5100 10W-50. I'm leaning towards it being oil pump clearances or oil cooler clearances being different on the 07. Mine was as bad as yours, but is quiet now with different oil. I had valve clearances checked and it was all good so it doesn't seem to be wearing the cam lobes (which just didn't seem possible) so it seems OK to just live with it if you are told to and not keen on swapping oil. It will get worse when you guys hit summer too.

Disclaimer...lol.
I'm not an expert, but have tried to logically nut this out.:thumbup:

Cheers
Mike

buzzbomb

Resident Lurker
Reaction score
Visit site
Is it possible the "Yamaha Tick" could be caused by the air injection reed valves in the valve cover? The air injection system runs with the engine on idle, which is where many people have heard this tick...
I've heard a few turboed bikes who's owners have disconnected the air injection, but haven't heard any "mortals" who've removed the system. Whether or not that removes the tick would be interesting, or maybe it requires the air reeds to be removed or blocked shut.

BB

m1losh

Reaction score
Visit site
My sounds exactly the same, maybe a little less loud than yours, but that's the sound. Mine has about 7000 miles on it, regulary serviced, and I'm worried is this OK..

flash

Reaction score
Visit site

I would start with checking the valve clearance. If this is ok check oil pressure. I have also heard injectors that sound alot like the noise you recorded, if so just drive it!

JAZZ-n-FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site

I think it is the valve train. When I first got the bike new with 0 miles it made that noise. After tens of thousands of miles it slowly went away. It was so slow that I did not even notice it was gone. After I adjusted my valves it went back to being clicky like it was when it was new. This made sense because before I adjusted my valves, 6 of the 8 exhaust valves were either tight or almost at the limit of being tight. I adjusted them so that they were near the upper limit since the FZ6 usually tightens the valves over time.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
There are a lot of things that could make that noise including fuel injectors. Also this engine uses an auto-cam tensioner which has been known to exhibit noise.
Try to keep in mind these motors don't use hydraulic lifters so tappet noise is generally higher because there is need for variables you don't have with hydraulic lifters. You'll generally have a little more tappet clearance and this can show up as that type of noise. I've ridden with a lot of forum members with FZ6's and also had one and your bike doesn't sound abnormal to me.
Two Brothers exhaust and a twisty road and you'll never know that noise existed!:rockon:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

I think it is the valve train. When I first got the bike new with 0 miles it made that noise. After tens of thousands of miles it slowly went away. It was so slow that I did not even notice it was gone. After I adjusted my valves it went back to being clicky like it was when it was new. This made sense because before I adjusted my valves, 6 of the 8 exhaust valves were either tight or almost at the limit of being tight. I adjusted them so that they were near the upper limit since the FZ6 usually tightens the valves over time.

Exactly! With proper clearance you should slight hear some tappet. When clearance tightens you get no whisper from the tappets...

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Is it possible the "Yamaha Tick" could be caused by the air injection reed valves in the valve cover? The air injection system runs with the engine on idle, which is where many people have heard this tick...
I've heard a few turboed bikes who's owners have disconnected the air injection, but haven't heard any "mortals" who've removed the system. Whether or not that removes the tick would be interesting, or maybe it requires the air reeds to be removed or blocked shut.

BB

Good call!