Engine Little bit boggy when cold.

twobob1

Reaction score
Visit site
When I start my fz6 from cold I blip the throttle and it almost sounds like its running on only a few cylinders I think it idles fine its just when I rev a little, if I leave it a minute or two it starts to rev fine. Im new to 600's and just wanted to know if this is normal. Its done 26k miles and has apparently had its valve clearance check and new plugs. The other thing I've noticed is there is a a bit of vibration noise around the 2-3k rev range, I have checked all the plug leads are on properly and spark plugs are seated tightly.

My main concern is when I blip throttle a bit (like 1-2k revs not a lot) from cold it almost wants to bog a bit and doesn't sound right like exhaust stutter until a while later. Is this just the bike warming up?.

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Generally the mix is enriched when the bike is cold. There are sensors that are used to tell the ECM/ECU give more fuel when cold. If the bike exhibits this behavior only when cold there may be a problem with the sensor. Don't assume that the valve lash has been checked unless you have solid knowledge that this has been done. This is one of the most important engine adjustments and the first one is the most critical as these engines generally maintain good valve lash specifications after the first one.
Other checks would be plugs and associated wires. Throttle body adjustment.
There was also a recall on the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) on the older 05 FZ6. If you search the forum you will strike it rich for info on service for these items. :)

Last edited:

Ital

Reaction score
Visit site
Mine does the same thing. Basically if I floor it as soon as I start it, it will bog down, not that I want to do that anyway, if I let it hit the temperature 100+F then it is fine.
The issue only started after I got the Leo Vinci exhaust, but I also did the CO fuel enriches override mod. I think I have it set at +14, I think the recommended for max power was +24, but i was bogging down too much with that...

twobob1

Reaction score
Visit site
Thankyou guys put my mind at ease, its not that bad it was just niggling me. Think ill do a proper valve clearance check myself as like giro said I can't trust that its been done being so important.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It's rare it gets real cold down here but as noted above, the engine runs richer when cold.

Bogging for that split second and low RPMs (and cold) wouldn't surprise me however I've never encountered it.

I don't rev it (at all) after starting cold. Roll down the driveway, click second gear and roll on the throttle to maybe 2500 until my temp gauge registers... I also keep my warm idle at 1100 (less shifting clunking, smoother idle).

Remember, even when your water temp gets to normal, the engine oil takes awhile to get to operating temp. IE, take it easy on the engine until the engine FULLY warms up...

I gather your idle is set in the proper range? (not that it sounds like you even have an issue to speak of)

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not sure what year bike you have, but on the earlier FZ's (mine is an '05) the digital tach will flash until the bike has reached normal operating temperature. During this time I keep rpms below 3000 and slow roll the throttle. I've never noticed a ridability issue during the warm up period, and I've never asked much of the engine until it's warm.

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
I just fire mine up then get the earplugs, helmet and gloves on. By that time it's usually over 100F, maybe 130F and fine to ease off.

How is it at 12K RPM after warmup? ;)

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I was told at a fairly early age to treat a motor as you would your own body- you wouldn't get out of bed and jump into your running gear and sprint for 100 yards, nor run for a 25km marathon without the appropriate stretches or warm up.Who likes cramps anyway?

I think we have all done it- pulled muscles, or muscle soreness after doing something for too long or without due preparation. Lets face it, the older we get the more we realise that we need to look after what we have.
The same rules should apply to any motor you are starting. If its been sitting for a year, you'd change out the oil, if its been sitting for a week in the cold, you start it and let it come up to a temp that is reasonable.
I always start my bike, letting the prime cycle run before hitting the starter, then I go and open the gate and leave the helmet on the fence post, put my ear plugs in and ride at idle through the gate, lock the gate, put on my lid, check my lights, glove up and then gently cruise up the street with a max of 2000 rpm this all takes time, BUT its not until the temp guage is actually indicating a reading before I take off- in all this must take all of 2 minutes-MAX- meh its not a big expense, really. Others may give a longer warm up.

Last edited: