Engine guard, SW-Motech vs GIVI

Dresnewtoy

Reaction score
Visit site
Was going to install frame sliders but i've seen a few bent/broken frames and i'm going with engine guards instead.

I've only seen two brands for the FZ6 here in the U.S., SW-Motech and GIVI. Any ideas on which is better? Are there other brands out there?

Thanks
Dre

NorCal FZ6

Just some dude
Reaction score
Visit site
Not to be negative or anything. I banged this topic around for awhile. But aren't the Givi and the Motech "engine guards" at best. My understanding the point of the frame sliders is to protect the frame. You can replace engine parts, you really cant replace the frame. Or at least if you did, at that price you might as well get a new bike. Please correct me if i am wrong.

Then again a fall is totally unpredictable. I went with what I saw some good reviews of Motovation sliders, and Woodcraft. There was another I was definitely interested in but based on shipping weight they seemed kind if Jumanji." Puig Sliders" there a bit expensive. My understanding there advertised as leg protectors and frame sliders. Anywho. Good luck.

Last edited:

Dresnewtoy

Reaction score
Visit site
I totally understand where you are coming from. I've posted pictures of the SW-motech and the GIVI. Based on the design and the points at which they connect to the frame i would think they do the job of the frame slider and more....My opinion, i could be dead wrong. Maybe someone with experience with both could chime in.
sbl_06_316_100_b_3.jpg

IMG_0733.jpg

Darth Fazer

formerly Anakin StarRider
Reaction score
Visit site
I went with the Givi because it looked more attractive & sturdy to me. It also doesn't have to be removed to change the oil filter. The Givi does somewhat restrict access to the oil drain plug (the drain plug can be removed with the guard in place but just barely). I ground the bottom corner of the guard a little (the mounting bracket, not the tubular part) to make it easier & sprayed the area I ground off with some flat black paint. It's not visible from the top & you have to really be looking from the bottom to even see the ground spot. My longer magnetic drain plug now comes out with ease! The Givi guard also gave me a good mounting point for my homemade bashplate.

tyler2011

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the SW-Motech guard and you do not have to remove it to change the oil. I think it's a personal preference as to which you like better.

Darth Fazer: The bashplate is a good idea but looks awkward to me and non structural so more of a splash shield. Do you do a lot of riding in gravel or rain?

Darth Fazer

Reaction score
Visit site
However, I got the SW Motech rear rack because I liked it better than the Givi. I've also got Saddlemen panniers, a Coocase trunk, a Joe Rocket tankbag & a Hopnel rear seat bag. My riding gear includes a Joe Rocket winter jacket, a Fieldsheer summer jacket, BMG winter gloves, Icon summer glover, Draggin' pants, AGV boots & an HJC helmet! NOTHING of mine matches, I'm an equal-opportunity consumer! :rockon: Actually, I'm a cheapskate who'll buy whatever I can find the best deal on!

Darth Fazer

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the SW-Motech guard and you do not have to remove it to change the oil. I think it's a personal preference as to which you like better.

Darth Fazer: The bashplate is a good idea but looks awkward to me and non structural so more of a splash shield. Do you do a lot of riding in gravel or rain?

I don't ride much in gravel or rain, but I have heard alot of large rocks thrown up by the front tire "ping" off the bashplate. Also, my pipes stay much cleaner; between the Fenda Extenda & bashplate, nothing splashes up onto them. It's actually pretty sturdy, but I wish I'd painted it black.

Wearyeyed

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm looking to buy the Givi's next month, mainly because they look they would be *most* likely to provide a highway option for my feet, over the Motec's, anyway....

darkLeo

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey, did you end up feeling like the engine guard protects more than frame sliders? looking to choose between the two.

SirIsaac

My mind is going, Dave
Reaction score
Visit site
...Are there other brands out there?

Thanks
Dre

Hepco & Becker. Kind of hard to find and more expensive than SW-Motech and GIVI. No interference with oil filter or drain plug. Below is a picture. Mine are black powder-coated, not silver. I used to have some pictures posted here of mine, but it looks like all of my pictures are gone.:(
501_417_00_01.jpg

Dresnewtoy

Reaction score
Visit site
Just went with OES frame sliders instead. Someone here tried frame sliders and engine guards and made an interesting point. Not sure if his post is still up but in effect he was saying that he went down using both at some point and the engine guard protected the crankcase but the tank got damaged, while the frame slider saved the tank and the crankcase cover got damaged (which is cheaper to replace).
IMG_0003-2.jpg

Last edited:

darkbluexplorer

ATGATT - Live by it!
Reaction score
Visit site
Just ordered my Harben & Becker Engine Guard. The frame sliders i have may work with the engine guard will let you know when it gets here.. in 3-4 weeks.. ugh :(

Jorosv

Reaction score
Visit site
I got the GIVI engine guard and a frame slidet on the top bolt

The givi is very narrow and looks a lot like the bike came as standard with it and the slider is the second part of my security ( fail proofing the tank )