Engine clicking when cold?

misterjames

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Guys,

Sorry if this question has been asked somewhere before. I've had my 2000 FZ600 on the road for 10 days now and She has about 64k miles on her. Got oil change and road local for the first 5 or 6 days before taking it on a 5 hr round trip ride to BHam. She road fantastically despite me.

2 days later I started hearing a clicking type sound that went in time with the engine. It is clear when I start it cold and probably for the first 10mins of riding after which it stopped. (the mechanic is about 12mins away.)

One mechanic thinks its the Cam chain and says I need 4 of them and 250quid to fix. The visible rubbers seals are cracked as well.

I've also been reading on this site that the noise can be related to a tensioner as well. I'll spend what I have to to keep her healthy but am just looking for ways to confirm what the real issue is before I go throwing money around.

any suggestions or advice?
I also find that She can run very roughly at low speeds and not respond very quickly to the throttle. That all changes once we get going but if I end up having to go deep into cam chain money, I'd like to do whatever is needed to help her run smooth and be more responsive/tighter at low speeds.

Thanks in advance for any insight

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Guys,

Sorry if this question has been asked somewhere before. I've had my 2000 FZ600 on the road for 10 days now and She has about 64k miles on her. Got oil change and road local for the first 5 or 6 days before taking it on a 5 hr round trip ride to BHam. She road fantastically despite me.

2 days later I started hearing a clicking type sound that went in time with the engine. It is clear when I start it cold and probably for the first 10mins of riding after which it stopped. (the mechanic is about 12mins away.)

One mechanic thinks its the Cam chain and says I need 4 of them and 250quid to fix. The visible rubbers seals are cracked as well.

I've also been reading on this site that the noise can be related to a tensioner as well. I'll spend what I have to to keep her healthy but am just looking for ways to confirm what the real issue is before I go throwing money around.

any suggestions or advice?
I also find that She can run very roughly at low speeds and not respond very quickly to the throttle. That all changes once we get going but if I end up having to go deep into cam chain money, I'd like to do whatever is needed to help her run smooth and be more responsive/tighter at low speeds.

Thanks in advance for any insight

I can't find any parts fisch on your bike, perhaps as its from oversea's...

Anyway, if you got 64,000 miles on her, a cam chain and or tensioner has served well.

Its likely the tensioner and chain are both worn but to find out, the tensioner should be pulled out and checked. There's one tensioner, usually held on with two bolts. It should have good, smooth tension... If it doesn't replace it, period.

I don't know if your cam chain is on the right side of the engine or in the middle of the two inner cylinders (no parts fisch) but there's only one cam chain, NOT 4... A shop manual should give some specs for chain stretch and a visual peek for wear on the guides would be in order.

Can you post picture on the engine on the right side? The tensioner, if on the right side sticks out about 2.5" and is held on, as stated earlier, with two bolts.

Pic's of the cracked "rubbers" may be helpful as well...

I gather your sure of the year bike?

I did find a 2000 R6 which is very close to the FZ and has the same set up as the newer bikes:

Last edited: