Engine a little throaty

Cloned

Tiger Trainer
Reaction score
Visit site
I replaced my radiator yesterday, which involved removing the airbox and battery housing (I've done that many times before). After starting it up today, I noticed that it sputters just a bit when turning over and when it's sitting idle it's sound real deep and throaty.

I've checked all my work to make sure I put everything back on right, made sure the airbox was properly attached, etc. Since I've taken the battery out, I thought it would have reset the system. Should I disconnect it again to try and reset it? Is there anything else I should try?

Kenfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
I would check the way you put the airbox/battery pieces together (under the bolts just behind the battery). If I remember right the order is: airbox on bottom, battery box, then battery cover, then the bolt. If it is not in the correct order it will misalign the airbox on top of the throttle bodies. There is no room for misalignment before the airbox pops loose from the throttle body boots.

This happened to me on reassembly from the valve check. My throttle bodies came loose from their lower boots on the intake side. You could see the misalignment with a flashlight under the tank.

Good Luck

Cloned

Tiger Trainer
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I'm an idiot. I thought real hard about everything I disconnected and unscrewed. Turns out a hose was disconnected behind the radiator and there wasn't enough air getting into the engine, which is exactly what it sounded like. Learn from my mistake and retrace your steps!